Final: Tri-Valley 37 Logan 7

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WEEK #1 LOGAN @ DRESDEN

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

21-0 Tri Valley. Almost half time. Too many bad snaps and penalties for me, and they keep coming. Done posting for tonight. :lol: :lol:

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Tri-Valley is just in a difference place as a program as compared to Logan at this point. Final 35-7. Tri-Valley had a sloppy week 1 with lots of drops by receivers. TV has a lot of speed on both sides of the ball.

I wish Logan well. They looked better tonight than they did last year.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Just looked at Logan's schedule. It is brutal. See an 0-7 start. Many, many playoff caliber teams. Should have a shot at beating Meigs and Maysville if the team sticks together.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree teach coach. That could be the best team they see all year. Defense had some lapses but overall I thought they played about as good as they could. Logan offense is so handicapped against a good defense like that without a passing game. I said after the Nelsonville scrimmage there was too many bad snaps and penalties and tonight was no different. They have to get that cleaned up if they want any success on offense with no passing threat. Jonny McClelland played his butt off tonight. Congrats to him

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

teach1coach2 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:01 pm Just looked at Logan's schedule. It is brutal. See an 0-7 start. Many, many playoff caliber teams. Should have a shot at beating Meigs and Maysville if the team sticks together.
Ah, I wouldn't say 0-7 to start. Logan could have a decent team if they take care of the mistakes and penalties. It was a big factor in last nights loss. Just don't understand the OC decision making. Why stay in the shotgun when there is a 90% chance a bad snap will happen. You can almost run the same dang plays from under center old school and it's quicker and safer. Just crazy how many bad snaps that was aloud to happen.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:47 am I agree teach coach. That could be the best team they see all year. Defense had some lapses but overall I thought they played about as good as they could. Logan offense is so handicapped against a good defense like that without a passing game. I said after the Nelsonville scrimmage there was too many bad snaps and penalties and tonight was no different. They have to get that cleaned up if they want any success on offense with no passing threat. Jonny McClelland played his butt off tonight. Congrats to him
Defense folded at times because they was wore out from being on the field about all night. The bad snaps mistakes and penalties needs to go. It will ruin any chances of winning. If you haven't got a snapper that can get the ball to the QB 8 out of 10 times, get under center. Logan has a team that can win some games this year. I still see a change in them already but the messy ball handling exchange from the center to the QB needs some loving care from the sideline OC.. :lol: Yes, Johnny McClelland is one fine ball player and gives 110%. Logan has some nice players. Big and can move, but the O needs to get much better and eat up some clock, because the defense is over worked and wore out from being on the field so long.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Anyone have a report on the Anderson boy that got injured in last nights game?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Coach Eddy & the staff were looking to come away with "positives" if not a W last night vs a Tri Valley team who is arguably the best team Logan will see this season ... 35 -7 on the short end of the score ... 0-1 after week #1 ... issues going INTO the game were the SAME issues LHS had leaving the game - penalty miscues (8 penalties for 64 yards) ... snap issues between center & QB - BOTH are deal/drive breakers when you have a team in the Chiefs that are "throwing challenged" to begin with and after the first couple of series last night "personnel challenged" (missing DB Garrett Mace coming into the game and losing Nic Anderson in the first couple series during the game) when - as a TEAM - you need the best of your best ON the field with their physicality and that slight "attitude" on the field - it hurts TEAM ... with that said "What positives can Coach Eddy take going into the week #2 prep to build on?" :

* after being down 28-0 at the half the Chiefs played TV even on the scoreboard in the 2nd half 7-7 ... Logan's D held the TV offense to 111 yds while Logan offensively put up 110 yds of offense ... first downs TV added 8 first downs Logan added 8 first downs ... ALL of the defensive stats were after Logan had spent the biggest part of the 1st half defending vs the TV offense - a lot of time on the field for the D ... great job by the D in the 3rd & 4th quarters ...

more "takes" into week #2 :

* Over the course of August thru the end of Week #1 D.I.S.C.I.P.L.I.N.E. stands out ... TEAM prep, TEAM talk, TEAM play , TEAM practices ... playing for the player beside you , supporting the players around you on and off the field ... Coach Eddy will continue to develop the attitude that leads to W's ...

* TEAM did not cash it in vs TV when down 28-0 ... no one gave up on TEAM last night especially TEAM itself ...

... getting back to Logan football is a "process" (Coach Eddy's words not mine, if you have talked to Coach Eddy since he showed up on the Logan campus last May to begin his journey as the LHS mentor he has in every single conversation said that this journey back is and will be a "process" which implies that it will take time to get where TEAM, coaching staff, fans want the Logan program to be) ...

... the "process" IS moving FORWARD with last night's game at Tri Valley ...

Go! Purple !!!

Buckeyes1979
Waterboy

Post by Buckeyes1979 »

The Logan Chieftain program is honestly one of the most pathetic programs In this area can't compete with school they're own size or even smaller for that fact but you'll hear big talk on them if they beat meigs or an NY .. I watched NY in the fall of 2010 2011 2012 whip logans by 40 points all three years actually 2012 it 50-0 then 2013 logan beats NY 14-12 then logan took ahold of NY for the next few years ...down right pathetic to watch a school who has 1200 kids get the hell beat out of em by a 300 student school

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:18 pm ... Coach Eddy & the staff were looking to come away with "positives" if not a W last night vs a Tri Valley team who is arguably the best team Logan will see this season ... 35 -7 on the short end of the score ... 0-1 after week #1 ... issues going INTO the game were the SAME issues LHS had leaving the game - penalty miscues (8 penalties for 64 yards) ... snap issues between center & QB - BOTH are deal/drive breakers when you have a team in the Chiefs that are "throwing challenged" to begin with and after the first couple of series last night "personnel challenged" (missing DB Garrett Mace coming into the game and losing Nic Anderson in the first couple series during the game) when - as a TEAM - you need the best of your best ON the field with their physicality and that slight "attitude" on the field - it hurts TEAM ... with that said "What positives can Coach Eddy take going into the week #2 prep to build on?" :

* after being down 28-0 at the half the Chiefs played TV even on the scoreboard in the 2nd half 7-7 ... Logan's D held the TV offense to 111 yds while Logan offensively put up 110 yds of offense ... first downs TV added 8 first downs Logan added 8 first downs ... ALL of the defensive stats were after Logan had spent the biggest part of the 1st half defending vs the TV offense - a lot of time on the field for the D ... great job by the D in the 3rd & 4th quarters ...

* Over the course of August thru the end of Week #1 D.I.S.C.I.P.L.I.N.E. stands out ... TEAM prep, TEAM talk, TEAM play , TEAM practices ... playing for the player beside you , supporting the players around you on and off the field ... Coach Eddy will continue to develop the attitude that leads to W's ...

* TEAM did not cash it in vs TV when down 28-0 ... no one gave up on TEAM last night especially TEAM itself ...

... getting back to Logan football is a "process" (Coach Eddy's words not mine, if you have talked to Coach Eddy since he showed up on the Logan campus last May to begin his journey as the LHS mentor he has in every single conversation said that this journey back is and will be a "process" which implies that it will take time to get where TEAM, coaching staff, fans want the Logan program to be) ...

Go! Purple !!!
Will Garrett Mace be back next week, Floyd? I knew he had an ankle injury. Also what about Anderson? He sounded like he was really shaken up pretty bad? Any injury status on him?

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Buckeyes1979 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:25 pm The Logan Chieftain program is honestly one of the most pathetic programs In this area can't compete with school they're own size or even smaller for that fact but you'll hear big talk on them if they beat meigs or an NY .. I watched NY in the fall of 2010 2011 2012 whip logans by 40 points all three years actually 2012 it 50-0 then 2013 logan beats NY 14-12 then logan took ahold of NY for the next few years ...down right pathetic to watch a school who has 1200 kids get the hell beat out of em by a 300 student school
Big Talk? From who? Everyone in Logan knows we've been down! Put a zipper on them chops, with all but 4 posts!

Buckeyes1979
Waterboy

Post by Buckeyes1979 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:40 pm
Buckeyes1979 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:25 pm The Logan Chieftain program is honestly one of the most pathetic programs In this area can't compete with school they're own size or even smaller for that fact but you'll hear big talk on them if they beat meigs or an NY .. I watched NY in the fall of 2010 2011 2012 whip logans by 40 points all three years actually 2012 it 50-0 then 2013 logan beats NY 14-12 then logan took ahold of NY for the next few years ...down right pathetic to watch a school who has 1200 kids get the hell beat out of em by a 300 student school
Big Talk? From who? Everyone in Logan knows we've been down! Put a zipper on them chops, with all but 4 posts!
I've heard Logan people all too often talk about how they're just playing teams to big lol why do you think
they applied to the tvc a few years back? Only wanna play small schools so they can compete down right piss poor program

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Buckeyes1979 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 pm
Only wanna play small schools so they can compete down right piss poor program
?? :lol: :lol: :lol: ??

Buckeyes1979
Waterboy

Post by Buckeyes1979 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:26 pm
Buckeyes1979 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Only wanna play small schools so they can compete down right piss poor program
?? :lol: :lol: :lol: ??
They applied to the tvc 😂 to play against small schools

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

sounds just like Athens

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:30 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:18 pm ... Coach Eddy & the staff were looking to come away with "positives" if not a W last night vs a Tri Valley team who is arguably the best team Logan will see this season ... 35 -7 on the short end of the score ... 0-1 after week #1 ... issues going INTO the game were the SAME issues LHS had leaving the game - penalty miscues (8 penalties for 64 yards) ... snap issues between center & QB - BOTH are deal/drive breakers when you have a team in the Chiefs that are "throwing challenged" to begin with and after the first couple of series last night "personnel challenged" (missing DB Garrett Mace coming into the game and losing Nic Anderson in the first couple series during the game) when - as a TEAM - you need the best of your best ON the field with their physicality and that slight "attitude" on the field - it hurts TEAM ... with that said "What positives can Coach Eddy take going into the week #2 prep to build on?" :

Go! Purple !!!
Will Garrett Mace be back next week, Floyd? I knew he had an ankle injury. Also what about Anderson? He sounded like he was really shaken up pretty bad? Any injury status on him?
... haven't heard anything on Anderson's injury ... Garrett's injury "at least" has turned out to be a bad sprain vs being broken - lots of medical care/therapy to get him back on the field going on ... all hopes are to get him back as soon as possible which I'm sure will mean he will be playing with pain for awhile - hard nose kid who wants to be out there ... hearing good things about Ruff coming back from his tear in the summer hoops season ... look for him back in uniform sooner than later as well - talk about a kid who wants on the field ! tough as nails and working his butt off to get there ...

Trying to get some info on Nic Anderson - hoping it's nothing that will keep him out for a long stretch ...

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:58 pm
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:30 pm

Go! Purple !!!
... haven't heard anything on Anderson's injury ... Garrett's injury "at least" has turned out to be a bad sprain vs being broken - lots of medical care/therapy to get him back on the field going on ... all hopes are to get him back as soon as possible which I'm sure will mean he will be playing with pain for awhile - hard nose kid who wants to be out there ... hearing good things about Ruff coming back from his tear in the summer hoops season ... look for him back in uniform sooner than later as well - talk about a kid who wants on the field ! tough as nails and working his butt off to get there ...

Trying to get some info on Nic Anderson - hoping it's nothing that will keep him out for a long stretch ...
Sounds good. Hopefully Anderson is not serious. Thanks for the info, Floyd.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

noreply66 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:42 pm sounds just like Athens
:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew someone would chime in. I didn't feel like arguing with the poopy stirrers today. :lol:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I think Friday night should be a little bit of a reality check for a lot of people - including myself.

First - Billy Burke was not a horrible football coach. I’ve long said the first four seasons he did a great job - winning a league title after losing Lane Little in the season opener, pushing Lancaster to Overtime in 2014 and battling a tough schedule to a .500 season, going 8-2 in 2015, and then finding a way to three victories in 2016 with one of the least talented rosters in school history (only FIVE seniors finished the season).

With all that said, I do believe the program had lost momentum and a new “voice” at the top ended up being a net positive on the program.

And Mike Eddy is a great coach - but not a miracle worker. He’s not going to snap his fingers and get a team that was 1-9 to all of a sudden win 8 games and compete with terrific programs like Tri-Valley.

Speaking of TV - so impressed with what Buttermore built and Coach Fell has sustained. Their program is at such a high level. Higher than Logan has ever been - including when the Chiefs were turning in back-to-back 10-0 seasons in 2000–01 and 2008-09. Those TEAMS might compete with TV’s best - but the overall program couldn’t rebuild at the high level TV has year in and year out.

Kudos to the community up there.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

On to the game itself - listened last night and had a chance to watch this morning.

Plenty to be disappointed by - but things to build on too. All about fixing mistakes and adjusting game plans now that you have a game on film.

The defense played okay for stretches, and definitely got worn down. But that was largely true last season. I think its easier to expect (or at least hope) for improvement compared to last year. It’s game one for a new coach and staff. I believe they’ll get better.

Pantaleo (TV) is going to make a lot of teams look bad - and he certainly punished the Chiefs last night, scoring four touchdowns. In the open field he is big, strong, quick, and shifty. I don’t think Logan will see many more like him.

Offensively - it was a replay of early last fall. Especially in the first half. Bad snaps, penalties, mistakes. I felt the game plan played more into the team’s strengths in the second half. Still, I don’t think asking Spatar to drop back in traditional pass drops is a recipe for success. Logan needs more options, role outs, etc.

Of course the Scotties do a good job of taking those things away. You watch the way TV’s QB holds on to the ball for so long in the read game and you realize how it SHOULD look.

The second half with more of the jet sweep action showed promise

The purple played hard. McCarty/Spatar/McClelland/Poling are weapons on offense and Mace will be a great addition to that group.

Up front, if they can fix the snaps the offensive line has promise. Arledge was playing his first Varsity game at RT.

Next week is a different challenge. Have to match TV’s toughness and their mentality - they DON’T beat themselves and PUNISH you when you make them. Will be another touch challenge.

Return to “Football”