Ranking The SOC 2

SiderBlood
All Conference

Ranking The SOC 2

Post by SiderBlood »

Obviously being a little biased here, I think the SOC 2 is historically one of the best conferences in Southeastern Ohio. Taking into consideration of conference titles, playoff trips, success of players playing into the next level, tradition, and thoughts that you think of when you hear the teams name. Let's rank each team with your reasons.

1. Burg - As much as you might not like them, you can't argue with success. 30 some championships, 2 state championships and however many playoff wins. They are the pinnacle down here.

2. West - I'm pretty sure West has beaten burg more than any other team has. 14 championships and I can think of multiple that has been a one score game with Burg going either way. A state runner up title, multiple playoff births. And producing the most successful collegiate athlete in trevon Pendleton.

3. Valley - Gets a little tough here for me just because of the relatively short time they have had in the bigger league. Gonna give them the nod at 3 because they had some very nice teams through the first two decades of the 2000s.

4. Waverly - I'm not sure if anyone can give me a list of the Soc winner of every year that would help. With west and burg taking nearly 50 for themselves (yes I know their is some shares in there), i can't see them and minford taling a whole lot more between the two. But I will give Waverly a slight nod. I can remember some very nice QBs and teams through the years, with a few having success in the NCAA. Not to mention one of the hardest places to play for one reason or another :roll:.

5. Minford - This is in no way shape or form an insult to minford. They seem to always put a solid opponent on the field, I just feel like they have been right on the edge of winning some big ones and they can't get over the hump.

6. Oak Hill - being the new kid on the block, by that reason they get the back of the list. With some success by moving up with the big boys they can surely climb the ladder. I dont see this happening for a while though IMO.

With the exit of Northwest, I really dont see a bad program. I think Burg is the cream of the crop in southern ohio, and for right now, no one else is competing. But I feel like anyone that hears these names will immediately gain respect.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Ranking The SOC 2

Post by LucasDavenport »

1985 was a great year in SOC2 play.

Minford defeated Burg in OT and because of electrical issues took 2 days to defeat Waverly. I think West beat Minford and also Burg 7-0. Waverly defeated West but lost close to Burg. All of these Games could have gone either way. I think Minford and West tied for The Soc And Minford won a playoff game before running into CAPE

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Waverly higher than Valley imo, Waverly had some great teams back in the 70s

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:33 pm Obviously being a little biased here, I think the SOC 2 is historically one of the best conferences in Southeastern Ohio. Taking into consideration of conference titles, playoff trips, success of players playing into the next level, tradition, and thoughts that you think of when you hear the teams name. Let's rank each team with your reasons.

1. Burg - As much as you might not like them, you can't argue with success. 30 some championships, 2 state championships and however many playoff wins. They are the pinnacle down here.

2. West - I'm pretty sure West has beaten burg more than any other team has. 14 championships and I can think of multiple that has been a one score game with Burg going either way. A state runner up title, multiple playoff births. And producing the most successful collegiate athlete in trevon Pendleton.

3. Valley - Gets a little tough here for me just because of the relatively short time they have had in the bigger league. Gonna give them the nod at 3 because they had some very nice teams through the first two decades of the 2000s.

4. Waverly - I'm not sure if anyone can give me a list of the Soc winner of every year that would help. With west and burg taking nearly 50 for themselves (yes I know their is some shares in there), i can't see them and minford taling a whole lot more between the two. But I will give Waverly a slight nod. I can remember some very nice QBs and teams through the years, with a few having success in the NCAA. Not to mention one of the hardest places to play for one reason or another :roll:.

5. Minford - This is in no way shape or form an insult to minford. They seem to always put a solid opponent on the field, I just feel like they have been right on the edge of winning some big ones and they can't get over the hump.

6. Oak Hill - being the new kid on the block, by that reason they get the back of the list. With some success by moving up with the big boys they can surely climb the ladder. I dont see this happening for a while though IMO.

With the exit of Northwest, I really dont see a bad program. I think Burg is the cream of the crop in southern ohio, and for right now, no one else is competing. But I feel like anyone that hears these names will immediately gain respect.
I agree with that. The only change I think I would do is flip flop minford and waverly. I can remember some bad waverly teams in the early 2000’s. But at this point, it would just be a coin flip

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Burg
Waverly
West
Valley
Minford
Oak Hill

Waverly and West could go either way

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Sooner rather than later, Burg will have produced the most successful collegiate athlete in Tanner Holden...

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 pm Sooner rather than later, Burg will have produced the most successful collegiate athlete in Tanner Holden...
Ya know hopefully he wins him a few horizon league titles lol... maybe hit a buzzer beater in the final four or something. Until then, just have to agree to disagree.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:33 pm Obviously being a little biased here, I think the SOC 2 is historically one of the best conferences in Southeastern Ohio. Taking into consideration of conference titles, playoff trips, success of players playing into the next level, tradition, and thoughts that you think of when you hear the teams name. Let's rank each team with your reasons.

That’s probably the perfect ranking I’d have valley at 3rd because to be the smallest school but yet what they have done in the short time at this level is actually remarkable

14U
S

Post by 14U »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:32 pm 1985 was a great year in SOC2 play.

Minford defeated Burg in OT and because of electrical issues took 2 days to defeat Waverly. I think West beat Minford and also Burg 7-0. Waverly defeated West but lost close to Burg. All of these Games could have gone either way. I think Minford and West tied for The Soc And Minford won a playoff game before running into CAPE
Minford did have a good year in 85. Minford played 3 games in playoffs (Amanda Clearcreek Aces, crooksville Ceramics) before the 44-0 CAPE defeat at Cooper Stadium. Carlos Snow and Vinny Clark! CAPE was all D-1 players playing in small school division! CAPE played up in schedule smallest school they played was Ironton and I believe Ironton has a 3-2 record against them. One year they were 5-5 made playoffs last seed and won the State. That was many years back and hope my mind is correct on all this, lol.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

West had one of the best teams they ever had in 88? They opened up at Ironton and beat them 14-0 and could have been worse if u were there watching. Anyways they made playoffs to meet Ironton again first round! Ironton started off 0-2 that year and Lutz benched team and started over with fresh team found 11 players that wanted to play Ironton football went 8-2. Before the first round game west players were bragging, on tv the news talking smack about Ironton because how bad they beat them on the field first week of season. Ironton traveled to Spartan Stadium to take on the Siders of West to come out with a 47-7 (score could be wrong but close) win. West fans were complaining that Ironton didn’t have the players on that field that night they had season opener. Watching both games Ironton did have mostly all new starters but they were on sideline week 1. Lutz after 0-2 start found a whole new team and made deep playoff run. West should have been working harder to win than talking all week on the news!! If I’m wrong on any of this correct me as it was many years ago and the brain isn’t what it used to be, lol

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

14U wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:10 am West had one of the best teams they ever had in 88? They opened up at Ironton and beat them 14-0 and could have been worse if u were there watching. Anyways they made playoffs to meet Ironton again first round! Ironton started off 0-2 that year and Lutz benched team and started over with fresh team found 11 players that wanted to play Ironton football went 8-2. Before the first round game west players were bragging, on tv the news talking smack about Ironton because how bad they beat them on the field first week of season. Ironton traveled to Spartan Stadium to take on the Siders of West to come out with a 47-7 (score could be wrong but close) win. West fans were complaining that Ironton didn’t have the players on that field that night they had season opener. Watching both games Ironton did have mostly all new starters but they were on sideline week 1. Lutz after 0-2 start found a whole new team and made deep playoff run. West should have been working harder to win than talking all week on the news!! If I’m wrong on any of this correct me as it was many years ago and the brain isn’t what it used to be, lol
That was the 90 season.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:47 am
14U wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:10 am West had one of the best teams they ever had in 88? They opened up at Ironton and beat them 14-0 and could have been worse if u were there watching. Anyways they made playoffs to meet Ironton again first round! Ironton started off 0-2 that year and Lutz benched team and started over with fresh team found 11 players that wanted to play Ironton football went 8-2. Before the first round game west players were bragging, on tv the news talking smack about Ironton because how bad they beat them on the field first week of season. Ironton traveled to Spartan Stadium to take on the Siders of West to come out with a 47-7 (score could be wrong but close) win. West fans were complaining that Ironton didn’t have the players on that field that night they had season opener. Watching both games Ironton did have mostly all new starters but they were on sideline week 1. Lutz after 0-2 start found a whole new team and made deep playoff run. West should have been working harder to win than talking all week on the news!! If I’m wrong on any of this correct me as it was many years ago and the brain isn’t what it used to be, lol
That was the 90 season.

Ok thanks! Knew it was around that time.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Kicker. wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 pm Waverly higher than Valley imo, Waverly had some great teams back in the 70s
Me thinks Waverly's SOC glory days were 1968 and 1969. The Tigers made an ill advised (at least for football) move to the SEOAL from 1970 to 1983.

As to the topic, Wheelersburg is and has been the dominant football program over the last 50 years. As to the rest, it would be interesting to see a listing of year by year and all time conference records for the SOC.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

14U wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:46 am
LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:32 pm 1985 was a great year in SOC2 play.

Minford did have a good year in 85. Minford played 3 games in playoffs (Amanda Clearcreek Aces, crooksville Ceramics) before the 44-0 CAPE defeat at Cooper Stadium. Carlos Snow and Vinny Clark! CAPE was all D-1 players playing in small school division! CAPE played up in schedule smallest school they played was Ironton and I believe Ironton has a 3-2 record against them. One year they were 5-5 made playoffs last seed and won the State. That was many years back and hope my mind is correct on all this, lol.
14 that happens more often than people think. especially with the private schools. going into the playoffs with records like that and winning state. if memory serves me correct Youngstown cardinal mooney got in I think at 4-6 and won state.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Omega wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:05 am
Kicker. wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 pm Waverly higher than Valley imo, Waverly had some great teams back in the 70s
Me thinks Waverly's SOC glory days were 1968 and 1969. The Tigers made an ill advised (at least for football) move to the SEOAL from 1970 to 1983.

As to the topic, Wheelersburg is and has been the dominant football program over the last 50 years. As to the rest, it would be interesting to see a listing of year by year and all time conference records for the SOC.
that’s it just before the 70s, knew they had some good teams back then and I do recall their little stint in the SEOAL, they

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Here’s each school’s overall record since 2000:
Wheelersburg 175-54
Portsmouth West 124-81
Valley 139-67
Waverly 103-95
Minford 112-87
Oak Hill 111-88

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Interesting....looking at the records since 2000, the total number of games played by team
Wheelersburg 229
Portsmouth West 205
Valley 206
Waverly 198
Minford 199
Oak Hill 199

Wheelersburg has played more than 2 regular seasons worth of games than anyone else.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 am Here’s each school’s overall record since 2000:
Wheelersburg 175-54
Portsmouth West 124-81
Valley 139-67
Waverly 103-95
Minford 112-87
Oak Hill 111-88
Thanks for the stats Mr. JV

For almost the last two decades and discounting newbie Oak Hill, the answer to the OP question would be:

1.) Wheelersburg
2.) Lucasville Valley
3.) Portsmouth West
4.) Minford
5.) Waverly

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Actually, in the 50s and 60s, Waverly had some good teams. They won the conference many times, having some of the best games against Portsmouth Notre Dame. The first twelve SOC games against Wheelersburg were all wins for Waverly. Kinda ancient history, but were talking about glory days. And also, the only game Waverly played against CAPE, Waverly won.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

old benchwarmer wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Actually, in the 50s and 60s, Waverly had some good teams. They won the conference many times, having some of the best games against Portsmouth Notre Dame. The first twelve SOC games against Wheelersburg were all wins for Waverly. Kinda ancient history, but were talking about glory days. And also, the only game Waverly played against CAPE, Waverly won.

Yeah, although Notre Dame and Chuck Ealey were the premier SOC names in the 60's , Waverly and West were always in the thick of the league race. A forgotten bit of trivia was that HOF basketball mentor Carroll Hawhee coached football for the Tigers, stepping down in 1965 with I believe over 140 wins.

Return to “Football”