Miller leaving the TVC ?

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Miller leaving the TVC ?

Post by Dundas »

South gallia is just too far removed from the rest of the TVC Hocking. Schools and fans just don’t want to travel that far. The same could be said for Wahama. The Hocking Division was always the more spread out of the two TVC divisions but I think you’re seeing the downfall of that. Similar to the Seoal (on a lesser scale). The TVC needs to figure this out quickly or else there could be a mass exodus. You have Athens, almost twice as big as everyone else in the Ohio Division and the Hocking that is spread out. There are issues that need addressed. Quickly.

With the exit of Wahama and miller, there are only three teams that have left the TVC banner. The other being warren. 40 years of history and only three schools have left. I don’t think it’s time to panic, but the TVC needs to be proactive on the issues they have or else this could turn into the Seoal part two. Meigs, Alex, Wellston, Vinton County, and ny could easily break away and form a new conference. Same goes for belpre, southern, eastern, fed Hock, Waterford and Trimble. I don’t think the TVC shakeup is over just yet.

Imo, the TVC needs to add oak hill or warren to the Ohio. They also need to take a hard look at south gallia and possibly add fort Frye, talk Miller into staying, and boot the gallians. Or, add oak hill and warren to the Ohio and move River Valley to the Hocking.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Dundas wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:54 am South gallia is just too far removed from the rest of the TVC Hocking. Schools and fans just don’t want to travel that far. The same could be said for Wahama. The Hocking Division was always the more spread out of the two TVC divisions but I think you’re seeing the downfall of that. Similar to the Seoal (on a lesser scale). The TVC needs to figure this out quickly or else there could be a mass exodus. You have Athens, almost twice as big as everyone else in the Ohio Division and the Hocking that is spread out. There are issues that need addressed. Quickly.

With the exit of Wahama and miller, there are only three teams that have left the TVC banner. The other being warren. 40 years of history and only three schools have left. I don’t think it’s time to panic, but the TVC needs to be proactive on the issues they have or else this could turn into the Seoal part two. Meigs, Alex, Wellston, Vinton County, and ny could easily break away and form a new conference. Same goes for belpre, southern, eastern, fed Hock, Waterford and Trimble. I don’t think the TVC shakeup is over just yet.

Imo, the TVC needs to add oak hill or warren to the Ohio. They also need to take a hard look at south gallia and possibly add fort Frye, talk Miller into staying, and boot the gallians. Or, add oak hill and warren to the Ohio and move River Valley to the Hocking.
I don't think anyone is in panic mode and I don't think anymore teams plan to leave (unless VC is scared of little NY).
I don't think anyone saw this coming but I don't expect it to become a trend.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Happy McGavin
Varsity

Post by Happy McGavin »

I'd like to see the TVC add about 4 more teams then break into 3 separate 6 team divisions. Would only be 5 league games in football but could make everyone do a couple crossover games that way filling out the non league games wouldn't be too difficult

Its all in the hips
NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 am
Dundas wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:54 am South gallia is just too far removed from the rest of the TVC Hocking. Schools and fans just don’t want to travel that far. The same could be said for Wahama. The Hocking Division was always the more spread out of the two TVC divisions but I think you’re seeing the downfall of that. Similar to the Seoal (on a lesser scale). The TVC needs to figure this out quickly or else there could be a mass exodus. You have Athens, almost twice as big as everyone else in the Ohio Division and the Hocking that is spread out. There are issues that need addressed. Quickly.

I don't think anyone is in panic mode and I don't think anymore teams plan to leave (unless VC is scared of little NY).
Couldn’t agree more

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I don't know what's going on here but as an alumnus, I know it's hard to deal with a huge exodus of population. If they are doing this, must be some demographic appeal.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ny has played VC more than any other opponent in their history. I don’t think either team is afraid. Lol I do however think the TVC needs to find out why these teams feel they are better off elsewhere. When two schools leave in back to back years, that is cause for some concern. Not panic, but concern for sure.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Dundas wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Ny has played VC more than any other opponent in their history. I don’t think either team is afraid. Lol I do however think the TVC needs to find out why these teams feel they are better off elsewhere. When two schools leave in back to back years, that is cause for some concern. Not panic, but concern for sure.
Wahamas administration gave an explanation of why they are leaving and I believe them.
Miller is trying to shorten up travel times throughout the school year.
Both schools saw an opportunity that they thought would benefit their student Athletes more and took it.
I'm sad that Miller is leaving but they gotta do what they think is best.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Has there been an official statement ?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye is more willing then ever to join and apply for Southeast District. Let’s get this movement started.

Oakhead
Waterboy

Post by Oakhead »

I'd like to see Oak Hill join the TVC. I think we'd be a good fit.

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:28 pm Fort Frye is more willing then ever to join and apply for Southeast District. Let’s get this movement started.
I second this statement

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Oakhead wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm I'd like to see Oak Hill join the TVC. I think we'd be a good fit.
I second this statement as well lol

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Miller is kind of out on an island by itself, outside of Trimble to the south. If not for size, the MVL is the best geographical fit, but Miller is too small for the MVL. New Lex, Crooksville and Sheridan would make perfect rivals if not for school size.

I don’t see Miller being any more successful in any sport in the MSL than the TVC. I don’t have records to verify this or anything, but I think Miller has won fewer championships in any sport in the TVC than any other TVC school who has been in the TVC as long as Miller. In most years, when your team played Miller, I think most people just assumed your team would win that game, no matter the sport. I don’t know why Miller has struggled to win in sports for so long, especially after the creation of the Hocking Division. When small schools only play other small schools, the law of averages say you are going to have championships in some sports at least every now and then. It has always been more rare at Miller. Same could be said for South Gallia in the Hocking and River Valley in the Ohio, even though they haven’t been in the TVC as long. Although, I don’t think either of them had many championships in any sport in past leagues either.

I think Miller will have the same problems in the MSL as they have in the TVC, the only difference being which direction they travel to play games.

Wahama was always the red-headed stepchild in the TVC. Though competitive in most sports in the last decade, a West Virginia school in the TVC never felt right.

I see this as a golden opportunity to add Oak Hill, Fort Frye and/or Warren to the TVC now. Geographically, those are the three best options. I think most schools will see Warren as too big, so I like the odds of Fort Frye and Oak Hill joining. What’s sad though is that Fort Frye is competitive enough to be in the Ohio, but they will be regulated to the Hocking where Trimble will be their only real challenge in most years in football. Waterford will be a challenge in some years as well. I had hoped Belpre would return to their glory days in football in the Hocking when they switched over a decade ago, but that never happened.

ReedsvilleEaglesFan
Freshman Team

Post by ReedsvilleEaglesFan »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 am Miller is kind of out on an island by itself, outside of Trimble to the south. If not for size, the MVL is the best geographical fit, but Miller is too small for the MVL. New Lex, Crooksville and Sheridan would make perfect rivals if not for school size.

I don’t see Miller being any more successful in any sport in the MSL than the TVC. I don’t have records to verify this or anything, but I think Miller has won fewer championships in any sport in the TVC than any other TVC school who has been in the TVC as long as Miller. In most years, when your team played Miller, I think most people just assumed your team would win that game, no matter the sport. I don’t know why Miller has struggled to win in sports for so long, especially after the creation of the Hocking Division. When small schools only play other small schools, the law of averages say you are going to have championships in some sports at least every now and then. It has always been more rare at Miller. Same could be said for South Gallia in the Hocking and River Valley in the Ohio, even though they haven’t been in the TVC as long. Although, I don’t think either of them had many championships in any sport in past leagues either.

I think Miller will have the same problems in the MSL as they have in the TVC, the only difference being which direction they travel to play games.

Wahama was always the red-headed stepchild in the TVC. Though competitive in most sports in the last decade, a West Virginia school in the TVC never felt right.

I see this as a golden opportunity to add Oak Hill, Fort Frye and/or Warren to the TVC now. Geographically, those are the three best options. I think most schools will see Warren as too big, so I like the odds of Fort Frye and Oak Hill joining. What’s sad though is that Fort Frye is competitive enough to be in the Ohio, but they will be regulated to the Hocking where Trimble will be their only real challenge in most years in football. Waterford will be a challenge in some years as well. I had hoped Belpre would return to their glory days in football in the Hocking when they switched over a decade ago, but that never happened.

I'm personally glad both Miller and Wahama are leaving. We've never beaten Wahama when they were any good, and who likes driving to Miller even if you know it's a win. Heck one of our teams left a coach there last year and almost never made it back in time to get him out. :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I might go watch Harvest Prep vs Miller in basketball. They might score 200 :lol:

Happy McGavin
Varsity

Post by Happy McGavin »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:04 pm I might go watch Harvest Prep vs Miller in basketball. They might score 200 :lol:
Prep is moving to big division of the MSL

Its all in the hips
Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

ReedsvilleEaglesFan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am
NYBuckeye96 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 am Miller is kind of out on an island by itself, outside of Trimble to the south. If not for size, the MVL is the best geographical fit, but Miller is too small for the MVL. New Lex, Crooksville and Sheridan would make perfect rivals if not for school size.

I'm personally glad both Miller and Wahama are leaving. We've never beaten Wahama when they were any good, and who likes driving to Miller even if you know it's a win. Heck one of our teams left a coach there last year and almost never made it back in time to get him out. :lol:
I hate to see either one leave. Having all those teams in the Hocking made for a boat load of playoff points. Wahama is due to be back up soon and would be great competition for the Cats. Hopefully we'll still play both in the future.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I don't want to have to scroll back on 3 pages of this thread, but I have one question.
How has Miller looked in the scrimmages thus far?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Happy McGavin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:45 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:04 pm I might go watch Harvest Prep vs Miller in basketball. They might score 200 :lol:
Prep is moving to big division of the MSL
I believe this is incorrect. Prep is only going to the Ohio division for football. I believe that Wellington is moving to the Ohio and Miller is taking their spot.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Miller will also be an outlier culturally in the MSL. Miller has its roots as an Appalachian southeastern Ohio former coal mining community. Just like most of the schools in the TVC. None of the other schools in the MSL can say the same. The economical differences will be there as well. I’m assuming Miller will be the poorest public school in the conference and will have even less in common with the private schools.

Return to “Football”