Scheduling becomes more important.

fortdawg
All Conference

Scheduling becomes more important.

Post by fortdawg »

As schools struggle to field teams and we have some who start with numbers under 20 it will become more likely that certain schools may not be able to play all the games on their schedule.
We have all ready seen this with Millersport and Rosecrans cancelling in the summer and Federal Hocking not able to play Fort Frye during the season.
What is the minimum number of required games to qualify for a playoff spot and how low can the divisor go?
These questions will become more important if the trend we are in now continues.

teach1coach2
All State

Re: Scheduling becomes more important.

Post by teach1coach2 »

Pretty sure it is 8 games minimum on your schedule. Don't remember where I heard that. I don't think you are punished for your opponents schedule or lack their of.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Need 8 games. Its usually always more points to play the games unless they go 2-8 or worse.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

8 games against *OHSAA-sanctioned* opponents. Can’t schedule six games against actual schools then fill the balance with the Columbus Crusaders or Reigning Thunder.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

If you play 8 games would your divisor be 8?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

fortdawg wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:36 am If you play 8 games would your divisor be 8?
8 x [the sum of your eight opponents’ games against OHSAA-sanctioned opponents]?

Let’s use Green 2018 as an example as a team that played 9 games.

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/teams.js ... &year=2018

West Union is not OHSAA-sanctioned, which brings Green’s L2 divisor automatically down to 90.
Hannan only played eight games that factor into OHSAA playoffs: Green’s L2 divisor moves to 88
Dohn Community only played six games against OHSAA-sanctioned opponents: Green’s L2 divisor moves to 84
Manchester only played nine games against OHSAA sanctioned opponents: Green’s L2 divisor moves to 83.

Final L2 divisor for Green: 83

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

fortdawg wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:36 am If you play 8 games would your divisor be 8?
Yeah for L1. Your L2 will be the number of teams your team's played

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Thanks.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

As far as scheduling in the future coaches or the A.D. of each school will have to do their homework, unless they want to risk losing a scheduled game. Not that I know enough to be either, I would think hard about scheduling any team with less than 30 players. Easier said then done, but I think by doing your homework, it could be.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

You are right Licking County but it could be out of the AD's hands.
Let's take Trimble this year and suppose two things:
1, They weren't able to schedule a game 5
2, They then have 2 league teams not play them. (See Fort Frye Vs Federal if anyone thinks that may not happen)

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:16 pm Pretty sure it is 8 games minimum on your schedule. Don't remember where I heard that. I don't think you are punished for your opponents schedule or lack their of.
No minimum, just have to have the points. There have been cases with teams who’ve played 7 contest that have made the playoffs.

gils
JV Team

Post by gils »

According to the OSHAA website a football team must play a minimum of 8 regular season games to be eligible for playoffs.

Return to “Football”