A Bulldog, A Buckeye, and the Dream of College Football

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

A Bulldog, A Buckeye, and the Dream of College Football

Post by moorelukas »

Lukas Moore --

Logan Maxfield and Keegan Wilburn are rivals and friends, forever connected in their passion to play at the next level.

Keegan Wilburn lines up behind his quarterback, hands resting on the knee pads of his completely orange uniform. The only sound he hears is his own soft breathing, anticipating the handoff. The Buckeyes are 90 yards away from the end zone, but no distance is too far for the fastest man in Nelsonville-York football history. Wilburn takes the hand-off and glides between the right tackle and guard, seeing a small crease. He floats through the hole, slips two arm tackles as if he is covered in butter, puts his right foot into the ground and is immediately at full speed. The remaining eighty yards to the end zone passing like the lines on the highway.

Speed defines Wilburn, his 4.47 40-yard dash is fast even for the NFL. This speed has allowed Wilburn to post jaw-dropping numbers through his first three seasons at Nelsonville-York high school, the county neighbor and conference rival of Logan Maxfield’s Athens Bulldogs. Wilburn has scored 55 touchdowns in just 34 games, all while racking up over 4,500 yards of total offense. Wilburn walks around the field with swagger, but prefers to stay silent, his production speaks for itself, “On the field I keep my mouthpiece in and just play.” Wilburn says with a shrug.

-------
Full Article: https://www.wathsportsfan.com/sportsfan ... e-football

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: A Bulldog, A Buckeye, and the Dream of College Football

Post by thebarlowbandit »

So reading this article tells me that Athens intentionally takes cheap shots! Having seen them play a couple times, so I do not believe this is anything but “sensational journalism”. And sub professional writing for HS sports.

Otherwise, well done.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Re: A Bulldog, A Buckeye, and the Dream of College Football

Post by ShoeHorn »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 pm So reading this article tells me that Athens intentionally takes cheap shots! Having seen them play a couple times, so I do not believe this is anything but “sensational journalism”. And sub professional writing for HS sports.

Otherwise, well done.
Are you referring to this "Against county rival, the Alexander Spartans, Maxfield and other Athens seniors walk nearly to the sideline of Alexander clapping intensely after taking a cheap hit on a teammate, just to let the Spartans know they’re coming." If so, this was after a cheap shot from an Alexander player on Justin Hynes. Not the other way around.

Return to “Football”