SEOPS H

Re: 8 Man FB Coming To Ohio, Thanks To Low Numbers

Post by Omega »

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

It would be good to see these schools going to 8 man football join into an alliance to play each other- Toledo Christian, Zanesville Rosecrans and possible Holgate. Elyria Open Door was looking a couple year ago to playing a 8 man schedule but do not know if they were able to get a schedule together or if they dropped football all together. There are many schools facing this situation of keeping football or trying 8 man. If the option to form together with other schools in the same situation it would help schools that are having to make these decisions. As I saw one person involved in the Toledo Christian situation said- football is a major revenue sport and this effects schools athletic budgets if this revenue goes away. Schools losing home games because of Toledo Christian and Zanesville Rosecrans not able to field a 11 man team is a hit to those schools revenue also.
Last edited by bsee12345 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Just a thought, would the schools on Rosecran's schedule opt to play them in an eight man format? I am sure it would not count towards the playoffs, but it would be better than losing a gate, and football is football.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Omega wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:19 pm Just a thought, would the schools on Rosecran's schedule opt to play them in an eight man format? I am sure it would not count towards the playoffs, but it would be better than losing a gate, and football is football.
I’m sure at least a couple would. Others have said that they will not.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Probably should have an 8 man option for D5-D7 schools

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I could see a few local teams going to this if numbers keep declining someone said that even valley was having problems getting kids to play

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Some area schools likely going to have to consider this option in next few years or no football at all. SOC 1 schools (other than northwest and symmes valley) especially struggling with their junior high numbers from what I hear.*

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Could also see several TVC Hocking schools having to look at this option too in the future. You can try to play regular football but at what point do you have to question if it is safe to continue when you have to put kids on the field that are not ready to protect themselves?

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

A total of 4 schools have dropped 11 man to play 8 man this year- Zanesville Rosecrans, Toledo Christian, Holgate and Sandusky St Marys. I would not be surprised to see a few more schools follow suit by end of week.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:43 pm Probably should have an 8 man option for D5-D7 schools

Hear wellston is under 30players now

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

I think our area should embrace the idea of 8 man ball. Get out in front and try to be a leader for once. Instead of looking at it as a redheaded step child lokk at it as a way to save the game.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:31 am
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:43 pm Probably should have an 8 man option for D5-D7 schools

I’d say most schools in the area are around or below 30.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:10 pm
countywide35 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:31 am

I’d say most schools in the area are around or below 30.
The Buckeyes should be around 50 this year so no plans for 8 man football at Boston Field.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Baldeagle wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:44 am I think our area should embrace the idea of 8 man ball. Get out in front and try to be a leader for once. Instead of looking at it as a redheaded step child lokk at it as a way to save the game.
Intelligent response, but has the tide already turned against scholastic/youth football? The head injury issue, the growth of soccer and the emergence of lacrosse is putting pressure on football participation rates. Throw in electronic entertainment/sports and masculinity being considered toxic in many circles of society, more and more parents will not allow their sons to play football. Football participation rates are declining nationwide. Eight man football may be just delaying the inevitable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... acd698d154

mondayamqb
Freshman Team

Post by mondayamqb »

Add Sandusky St. Mary's to the 8 man list

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Sandusky St Mary's is my alma mater. In the 90s, they were consistent playoff contenders. But enrollment has declined, and there's only 17 who have committed to showing up tomorrow, many of them freshmen. Toby Notestine is a legendary coach in Northern Ohio, and he'll make the best of it. SMCC has had successful boys golf and cross country teams in the recent years, and those numbers compete with football. And yes, student athletes are permitted to play more than one sport. They are just choosing not to for some reason. Hopefully, the Panthers will bounce back next year.
http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201907290021

BeatOfTheSEOhio
Waterboy

Post by BeatOfTheSEOhio »

With practices starting around the state, are there any updates regarding area schools looking to scale back to 8-man?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

We live in a world where liberal moms want to tell their sons that they are actually girls. Kids dont even know which bathroom to go to if they have to take a p!ss.

And we expect this ever increasing amount of moms to let little Jimmy play football where he could possibly get hurt?

Thank a liberal for all they have done to remove masculinity from this great country.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I will also add another reason to this ^^^^^^^^^^

Our "family" society has been diluted to single parents who are not involved, druggies, etc which leaves the grandparents raising their kids.

Many of these kids are on behavior meds because the grandparents cant do anything with them and the kids never get an interest in sports.

Its a sad world we live in. Much different than it was as little as 20 years ago.

MAGA

Return to “Football”