9/13/2019 H Chillicothe Unioto
9/20/2019 A Proctorville Fairland
9/27/2019 H Amanda-Clearcreek
10/4/2019 A Portsmouth West
10/11/2019 H Lucasville Valley
10/18/2019 A Wheelersburg
10/25/2019 H Minford
11/1/2019 A Oak Hill, OH

Waverly recently won the Ashland University 7 on 7. I know you can’t put a lot of stock into 7 on 7’s but it’s still pretty impressive.
Tigers returning some key components from years playoff squad while looking for some other kids to step up into more important roles. The orange and black will not be short on skill players so it looks like it will come down to line play.
Haydn Shanks returns for his second season under center (actually a few yards back) after a stellar season last year. I look for him to pick up where he left off last year hitting a boat load of receivers in stride. The Tigers will have to replace two great receivers in Easton Wolf & Cobe Marquez and start the year without the services of Junior Phoenix Wolf. Hopefully P Wolf will be back ready to go by week 3 for the showdown with Unioto. Winning the 7 on 7 at Ashland and hearing some of the chatter, Waverly has a number of receivers for Shanks to target. Zeke Brown returns for his Junior year, Sophomores Will Futhey & Penn Morrison look to be on the receiving end of Shanks passes, while Senior Kicker Grayson Diener looks to contribute at WR. Also a very dangerous threat will be senior Payton Shoemaker catching passes out of the backfield. Payton rushed for over 1,000 yards last year and looks to do that again this season. Shoemaker and Wolf will be huge threats to take any kick (punt of kickoff) to the house.

I’ll leave it right there and let others chime in with additional information and insight..... hopefully info on the lines..

Kicker.
All Conference

Re: Waverly Tigers 2019

Post by Kicker. »

Looking for a big season out of the tigers seeing a possible 9-1 8-2

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kicker. wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:57 am Looking for a big season out of the tigers seeing a possible 9-1 8-2
That is very high expectations, attainable, but not easy at all with a very tough non conference schedule.
A very good Athens team coming week one and we won't have P. Wolf or Markham.
The best team Unioto has had for some time coming in week three - may or may not have Wolf back.
Weeks 4 and 5 get no easier with traveling to Fairland and hosting an always good Amanda team.
Most difficult non conference schedule in a while.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Some real solid athletes you mentioned smurray

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

Waverly’s line this year will be made up of some Big kids The only returning starters will be junior center Spence Pollard and Junior Guard Andrew Welch. Welch is coming off an ACL surgery that he had in late October 2018. Senior Guard Zack Brown (out with ACL and Meniscus tear February) most likely will not return this season, though I have seen him hanging out at practice, will be replaced by Junior Aiden Diehl. Junior Blaise Reader and Freshman Brock Adams will hold the Tackle positions. Each of them weighing in at about 275 plus. 4 out of the 5 have played together for the last 5 years so team work shouldn’t be an issue. I’m sure coach knight will have them in shape come game time

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

OldTiger wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:36 pm Waverly’s line this year will be made up of some Big kids The only returning starters will be junior center Spence Pollard and Junior Guard Andrew Welch. Welch is coming off an ACL surgery that he had in late October 2018. Senior Guard Zack Brown (out with ACL and Meniscus tear February) most likely will not return this season, though I have seen him hanging out at practice, will be replaced by Junior Aiden Diehl. Junior Blaise Reader and Freshman Brock Adams will hold the Tackle positions. Each of them weighing in at about 275 plus. 4 out of the 5 have played together for the last 5 years so team work shouldn’t be an issue. I’m sure coach knight will have them in shape come game time
Thanks for the info on the line. I was wondering about Brown. I sure hope he plays with it being his senior year but no one could blame him for not after suffering two major injuries last year.
I heard about incoming Freshman Brock Adams possibly starting which is impressive.
4 Juniors and a Freshman unless Brown comes out - interesting there’s no senior starters on the line. Who would be some backups if any of those guys go down???

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

smurray wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:23 pm
Kicker. wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:57 am Looking for a big season out of the tigers seeing a possible 9-1 8-2
That is very high expectations, attainable, but not easy at all with a very tough non conference schedule.
The best team Unioto has had for some time coming in week three - may or may not have Wolf back.
Weeks 4 and 5 get no easier with traveling to Fairland and hosting an always good Amanda team.

Definitely not an easy non conf schedule very happy to see what crabtree has done with program can only get better by playing the best

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:23 pm
Really looking forward to this week 3 matchup. Unioto at Waverly should be a fun one. Great skill players and line play on both sides of the ball.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Skilled

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

So is "skilled" or "athletic" a euphemism for not very frigging physical?

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Dandy Don wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm So is "skilled" or "athletic" a euphemism for not very frigging physical?
Oh and add "finesse" to that question.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

No. Skill players, running backs, quarterbacks, etc.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Dandy Don wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:37 pm
Dandy Don wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm So is "skilled" or "athletic" a euphemism for not very frigging physical?
Oh and add "finesse" to that question.
A skilled and athletic team can still be physical. They just might be able to make those plays that a team that is considered just physical can't make. Such as receivers being able to snag an overthrown ball or running backs being able to make multiple guys miss. Teams they are "finesse" don't have to rely solely on the ground and pound. Just my opinion tho.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Nothing wrong with either style. You have to play to your strengths

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

smurray wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm 8/30/2019 H Athens
9/6/2019 A Chillicothe Zane Trace
10/25/2019 H Minford
11/1/2019 A Oak Hill, OH

Waverly recently won the Ashland University 7 on 7. I know you can’t put a lot of stock into 7 on 7’s but it’s still pretty impressive.
Tigers returning some key components from years playoff squad while looking for some other kids to step up into more important roles. The orange and black will not be short on skill players so it looks like it will come down to line play.
Haydn Shanks returns for his second season under center (actually a few yards back) after a stellar season last year. I look for him to pick up where he left off last year hitting a boat load of receivers in stride. The Tigers will have to replace two great receivers in Easton Wolf & Cobe Marquez and start the year without the services of Junior Phoenix Wolf. Hopefully P Wolf will be back ready to go by week 3 for the showdown with Unioto. Winning the 7 on 7 at Ashland and hearing some of the chatter, Waverly has a number of receivers for Shanks to target. Zeke Brown returns for his Junior year, Sophomores Will Futhey & Penn Morrison look to be on the receiving end of Shanks passes, while Senior Kicker Grayson Diener looks to contribute at WR. Also a very dangerous threat will be senior Payton Shoemaker catching passes out of the backfield. Payton rushed for over 1,000 yards last year and looks to do that again this season. Shoemaker and Wolf will be huge threats to take any kick (punt of kickoff) to the house.

I’ll leave it right there and let others chime in with additional information and insight..... hopefully info on the lines..
Is Grayson Diener going to play both football and soccer?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

a_c_m wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 am
10/25/2019 H Minford
11/1/2019 A Oak Hill, OH

I haven't heard his soccer intentions but there's a big difference between kicking for football and playing soccer as he did last year and being a major part of football (kicking, WR, DB) and playing soccer as well. I'm not sure how someone can do that but I don't know the answer to that.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

smurray wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:43 am
10/25/2019 H Minford
11/1/2019 A Oak Hill, OH

I haven't heard his soccer intentions but there's a big difference between kicking for football and playing soccer as he did last year and being a major part of football (kicking, WR, DB) and playing soccer as well. I'm not sure how someone can do that but I don't know the answer to that.
He was one of the best, if not the best, soccer players in the area. He will be a great asset to whichever he chooses, football or soccer or maybe both. Best of luck to him!

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

a_c_m wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:21 am

He was one of the best, if not the best, soccer players in the area. He will be a great asset to whichever he chooses, football or soccer or maybe both. Best of luck to him!
He is very good at soccer easily an all district player but also a great kicker and if he wants to go to college for kicking I wouldn’t play wide receiver on top of playing soccer and being the kicker. jmo however, I think he will be a key piece to this team this season

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kicker. wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:33 am
a_c_m wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:21 am

He is very good at soccer easily an all district player but also a great kicker and if he wants to go to college for kicking I wouldn’t play wide receiver on top of playing soccer and being the kicker. jmo however, I think he will be a key piece to this team this season
Just now heard from a reliable source he doesn't plan to play soccer. He has attended several football camps this spring/summer, working on his kicking game/skills while working toward college offers. Grayson Diener will be a huge and key part of Waverly football this season.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Romanello (sp?) from Valley managed to play both soccer and football a few years ago.

Return to “Football”