Final: Waverly 30 Athens 27

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly vs Athens 2019

Post by smurray »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:46 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:23 am It's finally game week. Looking forward to Friday night.

Since there have been a couple of scrimmages now, can anyone that knows the bulldogs well give us a rundown on them? Such as who are their top players to watch, what are their strengths and weaknesses, are they senior heavy or more young, what are the expectations going into the season?
We are young. Our line is big but inexperienced. Athens is loaded with big fast skill players. The QB is a freak athlete but did fumble the ball on the third play vs Trimble. He did look better in the second quarter but that’s when Athens ran it’s true offense. 5 wide and only run with the QB. The QB for Athens can break off a huge TD run on any play. Probably be a shoot out. Waverly is probably the favorite since they are older but Athens should score a lot of points but I worry about inexperienced turnovers
I really don’t think Waverly is the favorite in this one with key injuries and very very young. I can’t see Waverly being “older” then Athens. I think the Tigers start 2 seniors, none on the offensive line, while starting a freshman there.
Tigers start 2 sophomores at WR (sometimes three) and 2-3 sophomores at DB.
Waverly is aware of the Athens QB and his ability to kill you with his feet. Tigers MUST stop him.
Tigers could struggle running the ball if they don’t get their starting center back - will have to be creative on getting the ball to Shoemaker with room to run.
If Shanks can’t go the O-line will have to give the smaller Futhey time to throw the ball to a great receiving core. When 100% healthy, this is possibly the best “overall” receiving core Waverly has ever had. The key is “overall”. Will Futhey, arguably the best overall athlete on the team as a sophomore (there are several great overall athletes), Junior Zeke Brown (an athletic freak in his own right), Junior Phoenix Wolf, a main target of Shanks’ throws a year ago (recovering from that nasty injury), Sophomore Penn Morrison who played some QB in Junior High and competed at the State meet in Tennis (a great overall athlete), Sophomore Markham Stulley who is by far much smaller than the before mentioned athletes but comes in with great hands, and possibly Senior Grayson Diener, another great overall athlete eyeing D1 looks at kicker. Grayson will be handling the kicking duties, playing DB while being the main threat offensively on the Tiger soccer team. He may receive some looks at WR.

Tigers are very athletic but very very young - no idea how to gauge this week one game with the questionable health of key players. I believe the Tigers can win this game, and desperately hope they do as there are a ton of playoff points riding on it. This game could very well set the tone for the entire season. The non conference is tough so a win here is very important.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:23 am It's finally game week. Looking forward to Friday night.

Since there have been a couple of scrimmages now, can anyone that knows the bulldogs well give us a rundown on them? Such as who are their top players to watch, what are their strengths and weaknesses, are they senior heavy or more young, what are the expectations going into the season?
We are young. Our line is big but inexperienced. Athens is loaded with big fast skill players. The QB is a freak athlete but did fumble the ball on the third play vs Trimble. He did look better in the second quarter but that’s when Athens ran it’s true offense. 5 wide and only run with the QB. The QB for Athens can break off a huge TD run on any play. Probably be a shoot out. Waverly is probably the favorite since they are older but Athens should score a lot of points but I worry about inexperienced turnovers
Athens has a lot of inexperience (having a 23 man senior class last season will do that) but they are not young. Start 8 seniors on Defense and zero Frosh or Sophomores will play any meaningful minutes on O or D.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

ShoeHorn wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Athens has a lot of inexperience (having a 23 man senior class last season will do that) but they are not young. Start 8 seniors on Defense and zero Frosh or Sophomores will play any meaningful minutes on O or D.
Sounds like Waverly is much younger....

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I thought Waverly brought back most of its team?

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Never can bank on them young-uns not being as good as the grads that left either, raider. They can step right in there and do the job well too. It's happened time and time again before anywhere with any team. Ya just never know.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Are we really arguing about what team is younger lol, both fan bases seem to be downplaying their experience for some reason.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:09 pm I thought Waverly brought back most of its team?
They lost 11 seniors last year. And I would say 8-9 of those seniors were starters. And with possibly starting the season without three key starters: QB, C, WR\DB makes them really young and inexperienced. Going into Friday we may have a line all getting their first varsity start, that includes a freshman. A sophomore QB who has only been getting 1st string reps for 2.5 weeks. 3 sophomore WRs and a junior. Only true experienced player on O could be senior RB Shoemaker. Defense is much of the same. Could have 2-3 seniors starting on D. With one being a DB playing football for the first time, he has been the kicker in past seasons but has decided to try to play other positions this year.

Now with that being said, going into the season the expectations for this team was very high, with another playoff birth being in sight. But with some key injuries already it will be much more difficult. But even if fully healthy this team is relatively young. Most people don't realize it because of the talent and high expectations.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm Are we really arguing about what team is younger lol, both fan bases seem to be downplaying their experience for some reason.
I don't think anyone is arguing, I just think it's two teams who are unfamiliar with each other. I think both teams know that the opposing one has been having recent success and expected to be good again this season. So everyone is assuming both teams are experienced with the set expectations. When in fact they may not be. Just my opinion tho lol.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Good luck to the Bulldogs! Pick up the win for the TVC-Ohio!

Once A Raider, Always A Raider!
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm Are we really arguing about what team is younger lol, both fan bases seem to be downplaying their experience for some reason.
No arguing here. Just making a point on up coming young-uns. The seniors that left had to come up through as well and stepped in when it was their time to do so. Ya just never know sometimes with young-uns stepping up. Sometimes they do well when your not counting on it. They mix in well sometimes with the up coming Juniors that are now Seniors. Injury's are another story. Can make or break a team sometimes if your not a very deep team.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

If you go with who started at the Portsmouth game I have Waverly with 10 of 22 starting positions being manned by freshman or sophomores. And only 3 seniors in the mix. That's young by just about any standard.

I have Waverly as the underdogs but if we can keep in close up to halftime you just never know. It's a very talented group of kids and they're gritty and tough also.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Waverly a 7 point favorite here . Athens lost a huge senior class but have good staff who will have them ready.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

It does sound as if Waverly may be quite a bit younger than the Bulldogs, whether that is a big factor or not, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I hope for an injury free game for both teams.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

If Waverly was without the key injuries, the game would be a toss up. With the injuries, the Tigers are underdogs. Is that a fair assessment?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

ShoeHorn wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Correction: Athens does have 1 sophomore that will see
significant time on the O and D lines. Kid goes 6’5” 330 lbs. I can’t believe I forgot about him. Lol

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

JV score Athens 14 Nelsonville-York 6

Love The Game
Waterboy

Post by Love The Game »

My thoughts on this is the complete replacement of the offensive line for Athens. Sounds like this is the case for both teams. The sooner you get a young offensive line gelling, the better because those skill positions need the o-line to produce before they can truly shine.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

If you need a first look at Athens, here is the article to read: https://www.wathsportsfan.com/sportsfan ... s-bulldogs

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Idk Athens but imo to stop waverly on offense I would load the box and try and make them pass every play. Shoemaker is a beast every play he doesn’t touch the ball is a win for your defense.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Waverly 27
Athens 20

Return to “Football”