Smart Helmet technology??

greygoose
SEOPS

Smart Helmet technology??

Post by greygoose »

Come across this article from WSAZ,

https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/NCaro ... 82061.html

Has anyone heard of this before?? It talks about being able to monitor the hits but never really mentions how the helmets are an upgrade to say another Riddell helmet and how it might help in minimizing concussions like the Vicis has worked towards. If they have built in sensors that helps monitor the kids throughout the year and even the game surely this is a technology that can be brought to all helmets.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Re: Smart Helmet technology??

Post by hsfbfan »

Helmets weren’t invented or intended for the purpose of concussion prevention. They were invented because players were getting their skulls cracked open during contact and they were dying as a result. Do helmets help cut down on concussions? Yes. But, no helmet can stop all concussions no matter how good it is.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

hsfbfan wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:48 am Helmets weren’t invented or intended for the purpose of concussion prevention. They were invented because players were getting their skulls cracked open during contact and they were dying as a result. Do helmets help cut down on concussions? Yes. But, no helmet can stop all concussions no matter how good it is.
Don't think anyone has ever said a helmet can stop all concussions. I'm curious how well this technology monitors the hits and is there a special trainer or coach getting info on the sideline right away from hits. If that's the case we could see more and more teams implement this and even in a huge ruling to protect younger players there could be a limit to these hits that a player can have in a game or in a season. Sort of like a pitch count for younger kids so to speak. Nowhere in the article or I believe ever has anyone ever said a helmet can stop all concussions not sure where you're getting that from.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

I’m not saying the article claims anything about preventing all concussions. Just making a personal observation about the actual purpose of a helmet.

fbhs74
Waterboy

Post by fbhs74 »

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I couldn't help it. :lol: :lol:

AT THE RESERVATION
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio