14th annual “Are power cleans good for footballers debate?

hannancoach
JV Team

14th annual “Are power cleans good for footballers debate?

Post by hannancoach »

Survey says...?

allamericanironman
All Conference

Re: 14th annual “Are power cleans good for footballers debate?

Post by allamericanironman »

Is this really questionable? If your uncoordinated and can’t do proper technique don’t do them. In my opinion this separates the men from the boys. Leverage is name of the game.

This is why farm boys that put up hay make great players. they learn leverage at a young age and perfect their technique. not much difference in stacking hay and power cleans.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Yes !!!!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

allamericanironman wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:23 pm Is this really questionable? If your uncoordinated and can’t do proper technique don’t do them. In my opinion this separates the men from the boys. Leverage is name of the game.

This is why farm boys that put up hay make great players. they learn leverage at a young age and perfect their technique. not much difference in stacking hay and power cleans.

Problem with that is not to many people do small square bales anymore. You sure are right about that if they do square bale hay. As well as having to continue to do the hay over and over. If rain is coming you move faster without breaks. This also goes for a variety of jobs that have to get done.

Power cleans is something that you can not hide inside a group. This is where a person is on their own. Others can cheer and pump you up. Then the person has to push themselves under control using technique. Seems like trainers and coaches enjoy players moving big tractor tires around.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

allamericanironman wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:23 pm Is this really questionable? If your uncoordinated and can’t do proper technique don’t do them. In my opinion this separates the men from the boys. Leverage is name of the game.

Problem with that is not to many people do small square bales anymore. You sure are right about that if they do square bale hay. As well as having to continue to do the hay over and over. If rain is coming you move faster without breaks. This also goes for a variety of jobs that have to get done.

Power cleans is something that you can not hide inside a group. This is where a person is on their own. Others can cheer and pump you up. Then the person has to push themselves under control using technique. Seems like trainers and coaches enjoy players moving big tractor tires around.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

At Southern, we always did cleans but we did them with those kettle balls

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Wings Teaford wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 am At Southern, we always did cleans but we did them with those kettle balls
What's are "kettle balls"? :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

^^^ I think he is referring to cattle balls. They are heavy pieces of iron used in weight training. Popularized by the Russians and they are the training tool of choice in Racine,

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
KC Java
Freshman Team

Post by KC Java »

PurplePower wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 pm ^^^ I think he is referring to cattle balls. They are heavy pieces of iron used in weight training. Popularized by the Russians and they are the training tool of choice in Racine,
Cattle balls? Those anything like kettle bells?

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

PurplePower wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 pm ^^^ I think he is referring to cattle balls. They are heavy pieces of iron used in weight training. Popularized by the Russians and they are the training tool of choice in Racine,
They moved on from those slimy, nasty things. They're now leaping over parked cars as they dunk basketballs while they're in the air. They then lift up the front end of the cars and pull them the length of the court on the back wheels. It's getting crazy out there how strong they're getting. Well, my grandson is at least.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hot topics are weightlifting and skill training. I see people advertise their expertise in these fields and scratch my head.
I’m going to share a story before I give my opinion. I watched a kid grow up and was in these “next level” type programs and was also getting one on one coaching in basketball. What he aspires to be, isn’t going to come to fruition. You are who you are and be the best at it. In other words, If you’re a 6 ounce sirloin, trim some fat and be the best 6 ounce sirloin you can be. But you’re not going to be the T-bone you want to be.

In this case, power cleans are probably a useful tool as anything else, but I doubt it’s going to change you that competitively, just make sure you’re making the best of who you are.

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:02 pm
Wings Teaford wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 am At Southern, we always did cleans but we did them with those kettle balls
What's are "kettle balls"? :mrgreen:
I thought Coach called them thing cattle balls . They was the reason why we were undefeated in junior high.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Need more cow bell!

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

I don't think forcing kids to lift weights is a good thing. Many coaches are against it, especially in basketball. This is part of what makes kids not want to play other sports.

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

Jim Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:08 pm I don't think forcing kids to lift weights is a good thing. Many coaches are against it, especially in basketball. This is part of what makes kids not want to play other sports.
Yeah its never good to expect these lazy arse kids to actually work.

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

PurplePower wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:29 pm
Jim Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:08 pm I don't think forcing kids to lift weights is a good thing. Many coaches are against it, especially in basketball. This is part of what makes kids not want to play other sports.
I'm glad Suthrn doesn't lift. :mrgreen:

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

eagle25 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:36 pm
Jus cause we don't do them powder clings don't mean we ain't liftin. I got them kids doin hemroids to the floor squats with house trailer axles on ther backs. Theys doin deadlifts by picking up the asss end of volkswagons. And they dragging downed trees with log chains. Thats a hole hunk better than them powder clings any day.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Wings Teaford wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:13 am

Jus cause we don't do them powder clings don't mean we ain't liftin. I got them kids doin hemroids to the floor squats with house trailer axles on ther backs. Theys doin deadlifts by picking up the asss end of volkswagons. And they dragging downed trees with log chains. Thats a hole hunk better than them powder clings any day.
Your missing the point. Coach Carl always said stay away from them dang waits. Them thangs throws off yer shot. IMO they is bad for you.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Are you for real? What the he11 are "powder clings"?

Homie Chadwell
Riding the Bench

Post by Homie Chadwell »

Chief Kdogg wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:17 am

Are you for real? What the he11 are "powder clings"?
That’s the lift where you grab the weight and you just jump up in the air with it. We use it with them polymetrics. That’s why we dominate the boards

Return to “Football”