Mike Eddy Logan High School New Head Coach!

svac83
SE

Re: Mike Eddy Logan High School New Head Coach!

Post by svac83 »

Coach Eddy at Gallia Academy took one year to get kids to buy in and get things in place. Last 3 years he was 22-10 including a playoff win. I think that is fairly successful.

But it is more what he did for the community. The morale and the school pride that influenced all sports.

Coach Eddy probably knows very little about the history of Logan football but that won’t be the case for long. He will do his homework. He will find members of Logan’s tradition that he thinks can help link the past to present teach his players about them bring them in to speak to young men about life and football.

I am sure he will butt heads because people will wonder why certain cameras woolens are included or not included or the fact that the old guard does not have influence over him.

I know nothing about Parkersburg south besides he took the job for family and personal issues. And when you take a job for those reasons hard to believe those issues didn’t effect what happened there.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

yea family issues get thrown around a lot for leaving, it happened at RV football also cant fault a person for that if true

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

svac83 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:46 am Coach Eddy at Gallia Academy took one year to get kids to buy in and get things in place. Last 3 years he was 22-10 including a playoff win. I think that is fairly successful.

But it is more what he did for the community. The morale and the school pride that influenced all sports.

Coach Eddy probably knows very little about the history of Logan football but that won’t be the case for long. He will do his homework. He will find members of Logan’s tradition that he thinks can help link the past to present teach his players about them bring them in to speak to young men about life and football.

I am sure he will butt heads because people will wonder why certain cameras woolens are included or not included or the fact that the old guard does not have influence over him.

I know nothing about Parkersburg south besides he took the job for family and personal issues. And when you take a job for those reasons hard to believe those issues didn’t effect what happened there.
Excellent post.

PerfectionInPurple
Riding the Bench

Post by PerfectionInPurple »

Paladin wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:09 pm Anyone know who the other finalist were ? Frankly, this makes little sense. He has next to nothing on his resume.

I pointed out the poor selection the last hire they made, outlined his poor HC track record and the controversy he made quitting two weeks before season started and yet, they hired him knowing his questionable background. That hire, dumb as it was, appeared to be based on - former Lancaster jock, college player at Akron, assistant at successful Davidson program but a poor HC record. That’s a terrible outline.

I’d love to know the reason(s) they used to select him vs other candidates. I’ll just flat out say it - this appears to be another stretch hire. Not smart at all.
Gosh, can someone say SOUR GRAPES? You should have campaigned harder if you wanted the job so bad. Truthfully you dont have the right nickname for the job. No kid wants to play for a coach whose nickname is the "Douche Canoe". That doesnt inspire a football team.

BTW,,,,your career still looks a little slow on film.

LOVE LIKE A CHAMP!
PerfectionInPurple
Riding the Bench

Post by PerfectionInPurple »

Barber1973 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:07 pm Sounds like paladin is a hater already. I think this hire will do sum awesome things.
Yes if you hang around long enough the douche canoe will rain on anyones parade.

LOVE LIKE A CHAMP!
LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

I am willing to give Coach Eddy3-4 years to develop his system. Lets all give him the opportunity! 8-)

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

Why is he leaving South would be my question?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

A few thoughts:

A) The Logan job IS NOT what it used to be. I don't know who some people thought would apply for this job. The reality is that the job attracted fewer than TWENTY applicants. That ain't a whole lot, folks. I reached out to coaches I knew through out the area and asked about their perceptions of the job? Did they have or know assistants ready to take the next step? I was shocked how many people expressed little to no interest in the job.

The reality is that the program is either in a lot worse shape than we think it is OR at least the PERCEPTION is that it is in a lot worse shape than we think. Beyond facilities, I couldn't get anyone to talk about a good reason to take the job. A lack of league affiliation and the ability to control scheduling is a big hurdle.

B) I think its fair to ask questions about Coach Eddy if the only thing you have to go on is win/loss record. As Bill Parcells would tell you: You are what your record says you are. However - Eddy's track record shows two things: Pretty darn good success at Gallia Academy, and possibly disappointing results at South. At GA - his first team (2-8) had like six total seniors and the program was a mess. The previous coach had just been fired. By the time he left his team finished 9-3 and won a playoff game. The next year - with the record setting QB back but w/o Eddy - they went 5-5 (and lost to WARREN - he made a difference there).

Does Eddy have a ceiling? I guess we'll find out. But I think the situation at Logan is much closer to his situation at Gallia Academy.

Here's how I see it: This program needs a complete 100% makeover. A complete cultural shift. I believe that requires someone from the outside. Someone to come in and readjust the expectations from the school, from the staff, from the players, and the community.

The program needs a modernization.

Until that is done, the rest of this is "hope and change." There is not a magic bullet or quick fix. So if Eddy has a ceiling - we'll find out. But if the ceiling is .500, then that's a great bridge to make this program more attractive to the next head coach.

I believe Coach Eddy is the right man to lead a cultural change at LHS. Whether he'll reach the heights of Coaches Adams, Mikes, Perry, or Amyx remains to be seen. But if he's not "that guy," I think he'll leave the program in a MUCH better place that where it is today.
Last edited by loganlocos on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teufelhunden
Freshman Team

Post by Teufelhunden »

Prime Time wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:08 am Congrats to Mike Eddy, I believe a good hire from Parkersburg South. Last year led South to playoffs and I believe 28-34 overall record there.
Yea, WHO? SMDH

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 am A few thoughts:

A) The Logan job IS NOT what it used to be. I don't know who some people thought would apply for this job. The reality is that the job attracted fewer than TWENTY applicants. That ain't a whole lot, folks. I reached out to coaches I knew through out the area and asked about their perceptions of the job? Did they have or know assistants ready to take the next step? I was shocked how many people expressed little to no interest in the job.

The reality is that the program is either in a lot worse shape than we think it is OR at least the PERCEPTION is that it is in a lot worse shape than we think. Beyond facilities, I couldn't get anyone to talk about a good reason to take the job. A lack of league affiliation and the ability to control scheduling is a big hurdle.

B) I think its fair to ask questions about Coach Eddy if the only thing you have to go on is win/loss record. As Bill Parcells would tell you: You are what your record says you are. However - Eddy's track record shows two things: Pretty darn good success at Gallia Academy, and possibly disappointing results at South. At GA - his first team (2-8) had like six total seniors and the program was a mess. The previous coach had just been fired. By the time he left his team finished 9-3 and won a playoff game. The next year - with the record setting QB back but w/o Eddy - they went 5-5 (and lost to WARREN - he made a difference there).

Does Eddy have a ceiling? I guess we'll find out. But I think the situation at Logan is much closer to his situation at Gallia Academy.

Here's how I see it: This program needs a complete 100% makeover. A complete cultural shift. I believe that requires someone from the outside. Someone to come in and readjust the expectations from the school, from the staff, from the players, and the community.

The program needs a modernization.

Until that is done, the rest of this is "hope and change." There is not a magic bullet or quick fix. So if Eddy has a ceiling - we'll find out. But if the ceiling is .500, then that's a great bridge to make this program more attractive to the next head coach.

I believe Coach Eddy is the right man to lead a cultural change at LHS. Whether he'll reach the heights of Coaches Adams, Mikes, Perry, or Amyx remains to be seen. But if he's not "that guy," I think he'll leave the program in a MUCH better place that where it is today.
Very true words from a true Logan fan!!

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

I truly blieve that logan can b great job. If this coach can come in recruit the halls get the studs to come out improve on the record change the mind set these kids have. Lets face it its hard to get kids 2 play if they no that they r gonna get their butts handed 2 them 9x out of 10. Change the culture win some games by the 3rd year kids will start seeing some winning i blieve we have a sleeping giant rite here. Oh and as a head coach he needs 2 get his butt out and catch a few jr high and biddy games. Them kids would luv that.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Congrats to all the logan faithful, you finally got your man with ties to the blue devil nation.... to bad he wasnt your number one choise. Lol...

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

First let me say I know very little to nothing about Coach Eddy’s time at Parkersburg south so this is just me putting some things out there.

I do know he took the job because of a family situation that he commented on saying this will be much easier then try to run back and forth all the time. So he may of been distracted during his time there.

I also think when you sort of our a guy like coach Eddy with a little bit of a chip on your shoulder. That is a little harder when your going back home. I also think when your going to a school and a community of people that have known you your whole life. It is a little harder to come in and be the new sheriff in town.

To me there was too much going on and he tried to make things work with friends and buddies and maybe wasn’t as focused as he could be. I could be totally wrong. The next time he sees me he may tell me where to shove my opinion.

But I just had the feeling that. This period of time and place wasn’t his best.

toldya
Freshman Team

Post by toldya »

superblue wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 pm Congrats to all the logan faithful, you finally got your man with ties to the blue devil nation.... to bad he wasnt your number one choise. Lol...
[/quo

Hell he taught the guy you are talking about. Now if Logan can just get blue steel!

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Welcome back toldya..how do you know for sure who I am talking about? The guy I am talking about probably taught your new coach a thing or two...plus the guy you think I am talking about would have been your first choise. I am already confused about who I am talking about so I better just get a hold of blue steel and see if he is interested in joining .

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

So wait....

Gallia Academy receives:
Odie ODonnell
Alex Penrod

Logan receives:
Ron Janey

Does this make Mike Eddy the “player to be named later?”

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:59 pm So wait....

Gallia Academy receives:
Odie ODonnell
Alex Penrod

Logan receives:
Ron Janey

Good one

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:59 pm So wait....

Gallia Academy receives:
Odie ODonnell
Alex Penrod

Logan receives:
Ron Janey

Can you tell me if there are any future considerations as apart of this transaction?

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I’ve been out of the loop of the program for the last 2 years after being very involved through media or as a parent of a player for 20 seasons and this fall I’ll be back in the stands as my daughter should be a varsity cheerleader next season. So once again I’m invested.
This guy is a super hire imo. As it’s been stated and discussed by many including Locos and myself; this job isn’t what it used to be but could be again. The Chiefs need someone to breathe life back into a once proud storied and feared program and this guy could be that guy. But with no league and a brutal
Schedule year in and year out he better hope they can find something soon to get into to compete for league titles or nothing is gonna change substantially. I hope he can get other kids out and get the most of his players and run the right schemes for the talent he does have and not run what he wants no matter what despite the talent he doesn’t. It’s goong to be interesting to see how it plays out year one to lay the foundation for the future.

Live Like A Champion!

Return to “Football”