2019 DV Region 20

JTEK
All State

Re: 2019 DV Region 20

Post by JTEK »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:34 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:02 pm
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:58 pm I have insinuated nothing. Please tell me what was not factual about what I said, not what you assumed I meant.
They went in a direction that told the band kids that what they do is less important. They told them that what they are supposed to do is support football, and not have a competition band. This is sad, because I’m sure it wasn’t a funding isssue, they just didn’t value the band attempting to win superior ratings and trying to qualify for state. Or even worse they saw it as a way to gets boys out that don’t play football out to lower the enrollment so they could remain D5.
You can’t do your competition show at halftime, hires a non competition director, obviously not what these kids have been working for thier whole carrers, I.E. what you do is not what we want. They didn’t want it, as you said, so less value in it. Fact

They saw it as a way to stay in D5, debatable, cannot be proven either way, although I didn’t say that they did this I said “OR they” meaning they saw no value. Refer to first paragraph.

Although I enjoy the style of band they are trying to be, it should have been up to the band kids, parents, and boosters, to make that call.
Not sure letting parents, boosters and students make the call on hiring any position is the direction anyone would want to go. There was no way of predicting kids would leave because of the hire. I know some kids quit but does anyone have a # of how many left the school? If I remember right didn’t the band director resign very late?Probable weren’t to many people to choose from for a replacement. I don’t understand why you have such a hard time considering the burg AD might have a pretty good idea what division they will be in. If you do the #’s and there count will be 15-25 or maybe more less than last year I think there is probably a pretty good chance they will stay D5. Isn’t that a pretty reasonable assumption? Isn’t it a better assumption than people on here without the info he has saying “there moving to 4”?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

JTEK wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:13 pm
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:34 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:02 pm

They went in a direction that told the band kids that what they do is less important. They told them that what they are supposed to do is support football, and not have a competition band. This is sad, because I’m sure it wasn’t a funding isssue, they just didn’t value the band attempting to win superior ratings and trying to qualify for state. Or even worse they saw it as a way to gets boys out that don’t play football out to lower the enrollment so they could remain D5.
You can’t do your competition show at halftime, hires a non competition director, obviously not what these kids have been working for thier whole carrers, I.E. what you do is not what we want. They didn’t want it, as you said, so less value in it. Fact

They saw it as a way to stay in D5, debatable, cannot be proven either way, although I didn’t say that they did this I said “OR they” meaning they saw no value. Refer to first paragraph.

Although I enjoy the style of band they are trying to be, it should have been up to the band kids, parents, and boosters, to make that call.
Not sure letting parents, boosters and students make the call on hiring any position is the direction anyone would want to go. There was no way of predicting kids would leave because of the hire. I know some kids quit but does anyone have a # of how many left the school? If I remember right didn’t the band director resign very late?Probable weren’t to many people to choose from for a replacement. I don’t understand why you have such a hard time considering the burg AD might have a pretty good idea what division they will be in. If you do the #’s and there count will be 15-25 or maybe more less than last year I think there is probably a pretty good chance they will stay D5. Isn’t that a pretty reasonable assumption? Isn’t it a better assumption than people on here without the info he has saying “there moving to 4”?
Letting students and parents influence hiring and firing is exactly what’s wrong with a lot of the area schools.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Are we really talking about the band on a football forum? Come on guys. The numbers will be out soon enough and nothing discussed on here will matter. Now lets talk some football.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Not saying to give them the right to choose who they hire but don’t hire a show band director for a band that wants and has been a competition band. You have to know your students and what’s wanted.
I am aware that it was last min, and finding an experienced director would have been hard, but it is very hard to find a teaching job in the arts, I’m sure there were some out there, but as stated that’s not the way the board wanted to go. They didn’t care if the kids had been working all this time to be a competion band, that’s not what they wanted so tough.

Again, what would the football fans do if they decided they were just gonna be a club team now??????? Anyone???

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Actually Wheelersburg has switched between a competition band and a show band a few times in the past. I’m not sure why all the outrage now. Maybe because some kids and parents didn’t get their way, they stomped their feet and left. There are still plenty who quit but stayed at Burg.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

And Burg football would never become a club team. Like most schools, football pays for a lot of the other sports.

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

Poo Bear wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 am What region in D4 will Wheelersburg be ?
Burg knows how to keep themselves wherever they want to be. They have been doing it for 40 years they know how to stay “balanced”

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Fattseycline wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am
Poo Bear wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 am What region in D4 will Wheelersburg be ?
Burg knows how to keep themselves wherever they want to be. They have been doing it for 40 years they know how to stay “balanced”
Oh my you have no idea what you’re talking about. I remember a 9-1 team in the nineties that were three boys over and went into d3 when it was 5 divisions. They didn’t make the playoffs. If they had been in their normal division, they’d added possibly another regional championship, maybe more, as coal grove won the region that year who lost to Burg.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

I'm still upset the best Wheelersburg team in history got upset by Johnstown...

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

burgfella69 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:05 am I'm still upset the best Wheelersburg team in history got upset by Johnstown...
I'm a Burg fan, but this statement is HIGHLY debatable on multiple fronts lol

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:49 pm
burgfella69 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:05 am I'm still upset the best Wheelersburg team in history got upset by Johnstown...
The guy is a troll from Webster

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:26 pm
spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:49 pm
The guy is a troll from Webster
Yes I'm definitely from Webster :lol:

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Speaking as a guy who marched for 5 years, played football for two, I can accurately say that a director who doesn't do what the students want to do will flop. And furthermore, that director will kill the band program.

Gallia Academy marched over a hundred people and was a top band in Class A
AA - biggest enrollment (Lakota East HS, Grove City HS)
A- large enrollment (Watterson, Wapakoneta, GA of old)
B- Medium enrollment (Wellston, GA 2015-16, Meigs)
C- Small enrollment (Green, Coal Grove, Chesapeake, South Point)

In 2003, Gallia Academy replaced Dave Phillips and Rod Tolliver (who spent many moons in the Old French City, and as a band guy, I will forever speak praises of them both. Great men. Great directors.) with a guy who was fresh out of school, and wanted to make a showy, flashy, halftime band. Over half the students quit the first year. By 2004, the band was a quarter of what it was, just six years earlier (138 members in 1998, if memory serves.)

This issue outright enrages me. If the kids wanted a competition band, the school should have hired one. Point blank.

And to the idiot(s) who claimed that hiring the wrong director wouldn't kill a band program or kill enrollment numbers for kids wanting to compete?

Learn your stuff.

The wrong director will kill a band program.

The wrong coach will kill a football program. Rich Rodriguez at Michigan, for example.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Mods, my apologies for staying further from the topic. But as I stated, the comments here were infuriating. As was the situation at Da Burg.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:18 pm Wheelersburg Local.
K. 132
1. 152
2. 130
3. 118
4. 136
5. 132
6. 120
7. 124

Pretty obvious they will be D4 next year. Unless Burg kicks out kids at a very high rate
Must have kicked some kids out :lol:

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

The numbers above are boys and girls combined...rough estimate 1/2 that and you get 171. Fairly close to 158 (I think was the pre-CB number) for a rough estimate.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm The numbers above are boys and girls combined...rough estimate 1/2 that and you get 171. Fairly close to 158 (I think was the pre-CB number) for a rough estimate.
It would have to be a pretty good CB# to get them to D4

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Right, it was in the 30's last year...I would expect it to go up some next year but not into the 50's

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Who wants to take bets they won’t put burg and Jackson in same region Jackson will be in Waverly region. Burg to the easy region!
Jackson and burg d4 after this year.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

allamericanironman wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm Who wants to take bets they won’t put burg and Jackson in same region Jackson will be in Waverly region. Burg to the easy region!
Jackson and burg d4 after this year.
Burg will never see d4

Return to “Football”