Burned out of playing sports

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Burned out of playing sports

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Yes, I am old but back in my day those of us who played sports, know matter if it was organized or playing in a field or any ole court, we never grew tired of playing sports.

I will never understand this.

Spike
Riding the Bench

Re: Burned out of playing sports

Post by Spike »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am Yes, I am old but back in my day those of us who played sports, know matter if it was organized or playing in a field or any ole court, we never grew tired of playing sports.

Times are different , I guessing your my age mid 40’s , when we played there were breaks between sports now all sports are year round , in the summer my son was playing or practicing 3 sports 6 days a week in high school , if you have 10 minutes a coach wants that 10 minutes , it’s very easy to get burned out especially with travel ball

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I am 55 and even back in little league, if we did not have a game we had practice, except on Sunday.
On Sunday we would get our own game going.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

I think because when we were younger, we did so many OTHER things than sports. And we were encouraged to play multiple sports, and each season had a 3 week break in between. Nowadays, kids feel like they have to pick a sport to specialize in by the time they're 10 in order to succeed. The same sport is played year round. Camps and clinics and travel teams and indoor/outdoor leagues and you're not a success unless you're breaking records and getting college looks by the time you're 15. Parents and youth coaches put so much pressure on kids these days. I can very easily see how a burnout happens. When you don't enjoy doing it anymore, it's time to let it go.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Take a look at each school in your area, then look at these parents or dads or moms that are living thru there kids, then the cycle begins at a young age, the more well off parents buy the best equipment, clothes, travel all over gods creation, everything around one sport, whole family is evolved into we HAVE to do this attitude because thats what makes them happy. LOL In my eyes its called parents living there dreams over and why not let the kids decide what, when and time off to rest, play, live life outside there intense pressure bubble. I think the Winning at all costs and beating the other teams attitude and just saying we are the best is really burning these kids out, wait till they get to college the grind will even be more intense. Then you look back and say boy we had a great time and we are behind on all our bills to. and we still have to pay for college or the loans add up into thousands of dollars. Most familys are in debt up to there ears but spends thousands to be in the in crowd. Theres a few familys out there that can handle all this but I would say 80 percent cannot. This intense pressure on these young developing bodys come with injurys many which will be with them for life, Injury after injury adds up.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

"Back in my day" (insert old man's voice)

I agree, not many three sport or even two sport athletes anymore. Also I believe they are starting these kids out way too young on travel ball. There are lists out already on top 50 for 2025 class!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Travel ball should be for a select few 16 year old kids who are legit prospects. The rest should play on their cities with their friends in their REC / little leagues .

Spike
Riding the Bench

Post by Spike »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 am I am 55 and even back in little league, if we did not have a game we had practice, except on Sunday.
On Sunday we would get our own game going.
Little league is not the little league we played and most kids have quit or played both travel ball and little league and I know what your talking about during summer I would get up whenever go play football , basketball or baseball all day and night until I couldn’t move anymore go home crawl in bed then get up do it agin the next day but that was on our terms playing with your buddies , goofing off , it’s way more intense for these kids now it’s not fun it’s like the other poster said win at all cost

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Again I.M.O. this all goes back to bad parenting, but that is a topic for another forum on here.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 pm Travel ball should be for a select few 16 year old kids who are legit prospects. The rest should play on their cities with their friends in their REC / little leagues .
Yeah. It was a pain having, Football lifting, AAU basketball, and legion baseball. It takes up too much time

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

When I was in school I remember a boy from Nelsonville that played four sports, Football, basketball, baseball and would run track if he didn't have a game that day. I remember one day at the old Logan school they held a baseball game early and went right in to a track meet. The boy from Nelsonville played the whole game of baseball then came over and ran four events in the track meet. Now at the new school I heard there was a girl from Logan that played volleyball, basketball, softball and track...………..this is what you call loving sports.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Times definitely have changed. First , if a parent or coach tries to talk a person into playing one sport and one sport alone , they are doing more damage than good. Maybe 15-20yrs ago a person thought specializing in one sport better their chances at recruitment then truly don’t know what they are doing. Recruiting in modern day times emphasizes the athlete to be a 2-3sport athlete as it shows that the you are capable of doing more than just one thing. So , parents/coaches if you are one that pushes a single sport you may be doing more harm than good. The biggest thing I have saw in this change of times is the travel ball. It has gotten absolutely ridiculous. Thousands and Thousands are spent on this. It has its advantages but to solely say its the only way is not fair. It puts those that can afford separated from those that can’t. Period. For a kid that’s got the pure raw god given talent that does things that you can’t coach or teach to be done to not be given a shot because he/she can’t afford to be from a small rural SEO family that goes to every inner city within 200miles every weekend for 5-6mnths is just not right. I have two children that play in travel ball teams and rest assure I do not like one bit of it. But I choose to do it because honestly because that is where the overall best competition is. Travel ball has also ruined the overall school spirit and loyalty to a school and team. My oldest son is getting ready to play varsity baseball and again he is playing on a team that he has played with one kid for one season on. Imagine that. Imagine those guys 20-25+yrs ago that for the first time of playing with your varsity teammates is your high school years?? Talk about no team chemistry. Anyways, times have changed and you must adapt but let me say that I am one that has adapted and dislike every single minute of it.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I have been a distance runner for 47 years, and have loved every minute of it.......wouldn't trade it for any other sport. Just this past year I ran 5 races which is considered a heavy race schedule for me. My parents or no one else pushed me to be a runner; I have always been self-motivated. God has blessed me with good genetics, and every year brings a new intrigue. I'm glad I'm still going because I don't want to be in the cold case files and live in the past like so many who have let their once athletic bodies fall into demise. Sad to see former great athletes not take care of themselves.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Another thinking on all this is you have these zealous parents basically recruiting from travel ball and the kids that are in current school system that is playing now , these kids will be knocked off team for the outsiders from other areas, hence the winning at all costs attitude. but how does these parents that has sent there kids to these schools since kindergaden feel about this. Go with the flow and be quiet because these groups run things, transfer out or kids missing out from playing time. These all have to be thought of in the whole mess that has evolved in the last 10 years or so .Hence winning is the most important thinking in the big picture. On a humorous side what was Charlie Sheens motto. Winning

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

I wish kids would play sports to play and have fun. It seems like anymore, kids are pressured to try and get a scholarship. Playing to play and have fun has disappeared!
Last edited by ravensfan09 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Spike wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:53 am
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am Yes, I am old but back in my day those of us who played sports, know matter if it was organized or playing in a field or any ole court, we never grew tired of playing sports.

Times are different , I guessing your my age mid 40’s , when we played there were breaks between sports now all sports are year round , in the summer my son was playing or practicing 3 sports 6 days a week in high school , if you have 10 minutes a coach wants that 10 minutes , it’s very easy to get burned out especially with travel ball
I grew up in the 70's and played 3 sports. Baseball was tied to the recreation league with tee ball and then little league for fast pitch. I got bored with baseball and didn't play again after the age of 12. I played basketball and football as well but both sports were tied to the school I attended so there was a certain amount of scheduled games and a certain amount of practice days. I don't remember AAU being around then but I remember one year playing in a Buddy Basketball tournament at a YMCA in Huntington, WV. I can easily see how kids these days tire of sports whether they play one or two of them. Demands on their time are far greater than before as everyone searches for perfection. Coaches back in my playing days demanded dedication but also knew there was a limit. I enjoyed playing pick up games of basketball, football and even baseball with my friends as much as I enjoyed playing organized sports. One taught me discipline and the other kept me grounded in the reality that it is just a game after all is said and done.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Lol. These young kids are being drilled like they are in college now, travel. 3-4 hour practices. Tell that to your local college coach that has a group of9-14 year olds. Watching videos at nite with zealous coach’s of proper techniques seen it way to many times.Winnng

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

ravensfan09 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 pm I wish kids could play sports to play and have fun. It seems like anymore, kids are pressured to try and get a scholarship. Playing to play and have fun has disappeared!
I don't completely agree with this statement either. Yes, we want the athlete to have passion and enjoy playing the sport, but the older you get it does not have to be "fun" all the time. It needs to be a little serious or you get nothing out of the team. I played, many years ago I might add, and enjoyed competing and playing many different sports. basketball practice I did not enjoy! But loved to play. Trust me, many practices were not fun in High School. But that did not keep me from playing or "specializing." I ended up playing baseball in college because that was the sport I was better at and really did not want to quit playing. But trust me, 5:00 a.m practices were not fun! I will say this, winning is FUN! So I wish kids could play sports and win. This itself will create fun! Younger ages I do believe you have to make practices fun and exciting. Also short. Kids attention span can't go for more than an hour or so no matter what sport you are trying to teach. So if you are 7 -10 please don't expect them to practice 2-3 hours without them checking out. This in turn would burn out an athlete also. JMO

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

For me if I/the team did not win it was not fun.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

baseball16 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 pm
ravensfan09 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 pm I wish kids could play sports to play and have fun. It seems like anymore, kids are pressured to try and get a scholarship. Playing to play and have fun has disappeared!
I don't completely agree with this statement either. Yes, we want the athlete to have passion and enjoy playing the sport, but the older you get it does not have to be "fun" all the time. It needs to be a little serious or you get nothing out of the team. I played, many years ago I might add, and enjoyed competing and playing many different sports. basketball practice I did not enjoy! But loved to play. Trust me, many practices were not fun in High School. But that did not keep me from playing or "specializing." I ended up playing baseball in college because that was the sport I was better at and really did not want to quit playing. But trust me, 5:00 a.m practices were not fun! I will say this, winning is FUN! So I wish kids could play sports and win. This itself will create fun! Younger ages I do believe you have to make practices fun and exciting. Also short. Kids attention span can't go for more than an hour or so no matter what sport you are trying to teach. So if you are 7 -10 please don't expect them to practice 2-3 hours without them checking out. This in turn would burn out an athlete also. JMO
I agree practices are sometimes not "fun." However, to your point the games were fun. Thus, you kept playing.

I was recently at a little league basketball game and a parent told a child that they didnt play well and that they would never get a scholarship unless they played harder and shot more. I thought to myself...that young man has to be miserable. Sports are supposed to be fun...are there serious aspects and times...absolutely., but if the game isn't fun at any point. Why play?

Return to “Football”