Doug Montavon out at Northwest

allsports
Waterboy

Re: Doug Montavon out at Northwest

Post by allsports »

NW Phoenix wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:49 pm Pretty positive this was his 3rd year of a 3 year contract and he previously had a 1 year.
He was hired with a 1 year contract, The following year he was signed to 3yr contract. Yes, this coming year would be his 4th and final year of the 3 yr contract. The multi-year is uncommon for Southern Ohio, but as of last year from my understanding in Ohio you can now only receive 1yr contracts. Dirty move by those in charge... Best of luck to the kids and to Coach Montavon in the future.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

2quick2catch wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm Call Tom Kaskey.
I like your thinking.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Northwest is a "fit" hire. Takes a certain kind who understands the landscape so to speak. We've had really good coaches through the years (with one exception). Hope whoever gets it has wild success for many years and the kids bust their tails to make it happen.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

well my question wasn't addressed. but I hope they find the right fit for their new coach.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:55 am well my question wasn't addressed. but I hope they find the right fit for their new coach.
Which one?

Yogibear54
Waterboy

Post by Yogibear54 »

This move makes no sense by the BOE. Montavon has only been their 3 seasons as head coach and has gotten the kids out increasing the roster size and started a year round lifting program. The things you want to see when building a program. Seemed to me like he was getting buy in and had them heading in the right direction. Northwest isn’t the place you turn around in 3 seasons especially in years where the talent is limited. Plus he is from the community making him a “fit” for them. He seemed invested in the program being involved in jr high and pee wee. Sounds like a “grass is always greener” situation and though the board may be made up of “good guys” they’ve made a bad move. I’ve heard this is about one class the freshmen group that montavon went agianst the parents and prior coaches,one of which is on the board, and had some of them move up to the varsity this year. He should have known at northwest you cant do what you think is best but must do what the parents and board want. At first rumors were they were wanting to hire a buddy of the board who left a couple years ago and took his kids with him but is now back. But now I’ve heard a member of the board has approached ironton s coach offering him the job. Either way montavon was done dirty after all the building he has done when the talent wasnt there to have it taken away from him right as the team is talented enough to compete. Especially considering he only had one year left on his contract and they will have to pay him for not coaching. I heard he told them he would like to finish out his contract and if they wanted him to resign after next season he would. I don’t understand their urgency in getting rid of a coach who was building a program.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Zero chance Trevon Pendleton leaves Ironton for Northwest.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Less than zero

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Yogibear54 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:13 pm This move makes no sense by the BOE. Montavon has only been their 3 seasons as head coach and has gotten the kids out increasing the roster size and started a year round lifting program. The things you want to see when building a program. Seemed to me like he was getting buy in and had them heading in the right direction. Northwest isn’t the place you turn around in 3 seasons especially in years where the talent is limited. Plus he is from the community making him a “fit” for them. He seemed invested in the program being involved in jr high and pee wee. Sounds like a “grass is always greener” situation and though the board may be made up of “good guys” they’ve made a bad move. I’ve heard this is about one class the freshmen group that montavon went agianst the parents and prior coaches,one of which is on the board, and had some of them move up to the varsity this year. He should have known at northwest you cant do what you think is best but must do what the parents and board want. At first rumors were they were wanting to hire a buddy of the board who left a couple years ago and took his kids with him but is now back. But now I’ve heard a member of the board has approached ironton s coach offering him the job. Either way montavon was done dirty after all the building he has done when the talent wasnt there to have it taken away from him right as the team is talented enough to compete. Especially considering he only had one year left on his contract and they will have to pay him for not coaching. I heard he told them he would like to finish out his contract and if they wanted him to resign after next season he would. I don’t understand their urgency in getting rid of a coach who was building a program.
I was in no way implying that Doug wasn't a good fit. I was simply referring to the impending hire.

NW Phoenix
Waterboy

Post by NW Phoenix »

Yogibear54 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:13 pm This move makes no sense by the BOE. Montavon has only been their 3 seasons as head coach and has gotten the kids out increasing the roster size and started a year round lifting program. The things you want to see when building a program. Seemed to me like he was getting buy in and had them heading in the right direction. Northwest isn’t the place you turn around in 3 seasons especially in years where the talent is limited. Plus he is from the community making him a “fit” for them. He seemed invested in the program being involved in jr high and pee wee. Sounds like a “grass is always greener” situation and though the board may be made up of “good guys” they’ve made a bad move. I’ve heard this is about one class the freshmen group that montavon went agianst the parents and prior coaches,one of which is on the board, and had some of them move up to the varsity this year. He should have known at northwest you cant do what you think is best but must do what the parents and board want. At first rumors were they were wanting to hire a buddy of the board who left a couple years ago and took his kids with him but is now back. But now I’ve heard a member of the board has approached ironton s coach offering him the job. Either way montavon was done dirty after all the building he has done when the talent wasnt there to have it taken away from him right as the team is talented enough to compete. Especially considering he only had one year left on his contract and they will have to pay him for not coaching. I heard he told them he would like to finish out his contract and if they wanted him to resign after next season he would. I don’t understand their urgency in getting rid of a coach who was building a program.
U sound pretty familiar with Northwest football, but gotta love an armchair quarterback.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

NW Phoenix wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:01 pm
U sound pretty familiar with Northwest football, but gotta love an armchair quarterback.
You know how it goes. Didn't want to reply that we've had year round weights at least since I've been out there and that's 18 years, but whatever. You hear all kinds of craziness.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

N2Hoops wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:23 pm Zero chance Trevon Pendleton leaves Ironton for Northwest.
Maybe they wasn't talking about Trevon. His brother Jerrod applied for the job the last time it was open.

allsports
Waterboy

Post by allsports »

It will be a special fit person for this job for sure. No one in their right mind who is established or trying to build a resume will come to NW. History has shown no matter how good the coach they have is, you're not safe. The problems in their district go way beyond who the coaches are, and until that is handled nothing will change for them.

NW Phoenix
Waterboy

Post by NW Phoenix »

allsports wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:28 pm It will be a special fit person for this job for sure. No one in their right mind who is established or trying to build a resume will come to NW. History has shown no matter how good the coach they have is, you're not safe. The problems in their district go way beyond who the coaches are, and until that is handled nothing will change for them.
Specifically what are we talking about? I haven’t followed Northwest football or their athletics closely to know the ins & outs. In general though, from reading the posts, their current coach was going into season 4 having not improved from only 2 or so wins in a season. Guess I don’t understand where the blame blues here?

allsports
Waterboy

Post by allsports »

NW Phoenix wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:37 pm
allsports wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:28 pm It will be a special fit person for this job for sure. No one in their right mind who is established or trying to build a resume will come to NW. History has shown no matter how good the coach they have is, you're not safe. The problems in their district go way beyond who the coaches are, and until that is handled nothing will change for them.
Specifically what are we talking about? I haven’t followed Northwest football or their athletics closely to know the ins & outs. In general though, from reading the posts, their current coach was going into season 4 having not improved from only 2 or so wins in a season. Guess I don’t understand where the blame blues here?
He said in the statement he was the 7th head coach in the 21st Century, that in itself says enough. You cannot build something if your coaches only average 2.5 years. Look at some of the coaches they have had and how they did before or after they left there. Multiple coaches who are known as successful coaches either resigned or were fired from there. The issues that is going on there is something that needs probably a decade long plan to address. Any first hand detailed knowledge just ask one of the many head or assistant coaches they have had over the years.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

I was the head coach for 6 years. Tough to start, absolutely. Due to kids buying in and working,as well as great assistants, and great kids, won a conference championship and followed with 7-3. Coached under Dave Frantz, Larry Hall and Mark Spears. They were all top notch. Very good friends with Doug and think a lot of him.I'm recusing myself from this thread now because I think a whole lot about people involved. I love the district and will support whoever the next leader is. Go Mohawks.
Last edited by bfry on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

bfry wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:59 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:55 am well my question wasn't addressed. but I hope they find the right fit for their new coach.
Which one?
just asking what people think is the problem at northwest success wise. reread my post. again I ask with the utmost humbleness, just genuinely curious about the program.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

based on what you say yogi, and I have no idea. seems it wasn't given a chance to work.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

BigBlueNation wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:45 pm
N2Hoops wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:23 pm Zero chance Trevon Pendleton leaves Ironton for Northwest.
Maybe they wasn't talking about Trevon. His brother Jerrod applied for the job the last time it was open.
I'd hate to lose him either from ironton. the Pendleton's have found a wonderful fit in tiger country.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:45 pm
Jerrod would be great for Northwest. If he applies.

Return to “Football”