Doug Montavon out at Northwest

bfry
JV Team

Re: Doug Montavon out at Northwest

Post by bfry »

I was the head coach for 6 years. Tough to start, absolutely. Due to kids buying in and working,as well as great assistants, and great kids, won a conference championship and followed with 7-3. Coached under Dave Frantz, Larry Hall and Mark Spears. They were all top notch. Very good friends with Doug and think a lot of him.I'm recusing myself from this thread now because I think a whole lot about people involved. I love the district and will support whoever the next leader is. Go Mohawks.
Last edited by bfry on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

bfry wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:59 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:55 am well my question wasn't addressed. but I hope they find the right fit for their new coach.
Which one?
just asking what people think is the problem at northwest success wise. reread my post. again I ask with the utmost humbleness, just genuinely curious about the program.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Yogibear54 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:13 pm This move makes no sense by the BOE. Montavon has only been their 3 seasons as head coach and has gotten the kids out increasing the roster size and started a year round lifting program. The things you want to see when building a program. Seemed to me like he was getting buy in and had them heading in the right direction. Northwest isn’t the place you turn around in 3 seasons especially in years where the talent is limited. Plus he is from the community making him a “fit” for them. He seemed invested in the program being involved in jr high and pee wee. Sounds like a “grass is always greener” situation and though the board may be made up of “good guys” they’ve made a bad move. I’ve heard this is about one class the freshmen group that montavon went agianst the parents and prior coaches,one of which is on the board, and had some of them move up to the varsity this year. He should have known at northwest you cant do what you think is best but must do what the parents and board want. At first rumors were they were wanting to hire a buddy of the board who left a couple years ago and took his kids with him but is now back. But now I’ve heard a member of the board has approached ironton s coach offering him the job. Either way montavon was done dirty after all the building he has done when the talent wasnt there to have it taken away from him right as the team is talented enough to compete. Especially considering he only had one year left on his contract and they will have to pay him for not coaching. I heard he told them he would like to finish out his contract and if they wanted him to resign after next season he would. I don’t understand their urgency in getting rid of a coach who was building a program.
based on what you say yogi, and I have no idea. seems it wasn't given a chance to work.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

BigBlueNation wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:45 pm
N2Hoops wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:23 pm Zero chance Trevon Pendleton leaves Ironton for Northwest.
Maybe they wasn't talking about Trevon. His brother Jerrod applied for the job the last time it was open.
I'd hate to lose him either from ironton. the Pendleton's have found a wonderful fit in tiger country.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:45 pm
N2Hoops wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:23 pm Zero chance Trevon Pendleton leaves Ironton for Northwest.
Maybe they wasn't talking about Trevon. His brother Jerrod applied for the job the last time it was open.
Jerrod would be great for Northwest. If he applies.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

nope, nope , nope. he's needed in tiger town.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

I'd like to see Montavon get on the East staff, if there was room.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Tartanblue wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:59 pm I'd like to see Montavon get on the East staff, if there was room.
Or Waverly

Vike73
Riding the Bench

Post by Vike73 »

Who are the candidates? Northwest started strong in the league then they faded out , what’s up with that ?

sportsfanscioto
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanscioto »

Any news on who all has applied? Id love to see the list of candidates I’m sure its full of great coaches. Northwest is such an alluring job. They had a good thing going with Montavon but didnt want to give him another year even though he had a contract? What would it have hurt to let him coach next season? I know, next season northwest should have enough talent back to compete and after a winning season they couldn’t fire him and hire their buddy. Sounds like the new board is showing their true colors. They hired their good buddy Crabtree back this year as a teacher and couldn’t even wait a year before firing montavon to give him that job as well. He took his kids and left last time cause he didnt get the job and now his buddies are on the board and in charge. They probably promised him the job when they hired him back to teach. They should be ashamed of themselves doing montavon this way. He’s been out their coaching a long time to give him the shaft after only 3 years of teams that weren’t talented enough to win and now that its getting to the point they can compete they fire him? This is why northwest has always struggled they don’t care about the overall good of the program just those they are related to or friends with.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

I hear Basketball could be next on the block.

Return to “Football”