2019 OVC

packers80
SE

Re: 2019 OVC

Post by packers80 »

Spike wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:24 am
Blue/92 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 am
allamericanironman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:50 pm I was correct last year when laughed at and ridiculed for going with gallia. This year my prediction has ironton on top but I still think gallia has enough to give them a run for their money. Gallia will have a running back that stood out to me he is fast, skinny but fast. Both teams will win or lose through defense and ironton should have the chance to go undefeated. We will find out what we got in August.
I see Gallia at 7-3, maybe 8-2. A lot of people are doubting Gallia with the loss of Campbell, Pullins, and McClelland. Gallia will still have one of the best lines on both side of the ball in the OVC if not the best. Roberts will lead the linebacker corps and Donovsky will be leading the DB’s. Armstrong and a plethora of speedy backs and wide-outs will keep opposing defenses on their toes. The boys are hungry and Penrod will have them ready!
I think Ironton will have something to say about having the best line , we started a lot of freshman and sophomores last year and the improvement from game one to game 11 was incredible, ironton did lose a good one in Rowe but from what everyone is telling me we’ve added a very good one by means of transfer , I seen him at the basketball game last night the boy is huge , 6”4 or 5 300 plus and hearing rumors of another lineman coming back to Ironton I know he’s good , look for Reed to have a monster year if this kid is as good as I hear and maybe adding another
Transfers or recruits? Whenever some other program gets a transfer its a recruit. Not in ironton tho. If any school set the template on "transfers" it was ironton.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Spike
Riding the Bench

Post by Spike »

packers80 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 pm
Spike wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:24 am
Blue/92 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 am
I see Gallia at 7-3, maybe 8-2. A lot of people are doubting Gallia with the loss of Campbell, Pullins, and McClelland. Gallia will still have one of the best lines on both side of the ball in the OVC if not the best. Roberts will lead the linebacker corps and Donovsky will be leading the DB’s. Armstrong and a plethora of speedy backs and wide-outs will keep opposing defenses on their toes. The boys are hungry and Penrod will have them ready!
I think Ironton will have something to say about having the best line , we started a lot of freshman and sophomores last year and the improvement from game one to game 11 was incredible, ironton did lose a good one in Rowe but from what everyone is telling me we’ve added a very good one by means of transfer , I seen him at the basketball game last night the boy is huge , 6”4 or 5 300 plus and hearing rumors of another lineman coming back to Ironton I know he’s good , look for Reed to have a monster year if this kid is as good as I hear and maybe adding another
Transfers or recruits? Whenever some other program gets a transfer its a recruit. Not in ironton tho. If any school set the template on "transfers" it was ironton.
When you a successful program kids will “ TRSNSFER “ in , you don’t have to recruit , Ironton is headed in the right direction and I’m sure kids will once again start to TRANSFER in but from what I understand the ones who are new to Ironton right now all had personal things going on which caused the move

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

That's understandable just get tired of hearing successful programs recruit.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

svac83 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:03 pm Gallia is replacing a lot of pieces I will give you that. But they have a lot pieces ready to go. I don’t think the blue devils will be 9-1 good but they will be very tough. From what I get weight room attandence has been great. Seen Armstrong yesterday. He won’t just be a receiver and outside rushing threat. Him and Woodson both look like they have been working out since day season ended.

What you do just replace is Mcellend. Not just a 3 year starter. But very smart and a leader. QB wise as a passer wecwill be ok at QB but we will be learning as a decision maker but Penrod has a way of turning boys into leaders in a hurry
Honestly, I'd see GA going 9-1. Weeks 1 & 2 should be similar to last year's results. Week 3 should give us the best idea of where this team stands.

Slothman
Freshman Team

Post by Slothman »

Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallipolis
Not necessarily in this order . These three have to be the favorite?

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

a lot of questions for the Trojans, I would hope we get some key spots covered and producing, then we can talk top three

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Taylon Parker is enough for Portsmouth to be considered a top 3 team in the OVC. The OVC has improved but still is far from a juggernaut, athelets like Parker are few and far between in this league.

Add to this the fact that I expect better QB play, then this past year.

The line will be young, but prior to this year nobody was talking about PHS line, and I still believe Taylon will help a young line, through some early growing pains.

As Trojan Dave said defense will again be the biggest question mark. In my opinion the defense was much improved last year, however, still collapsed in some games, and gave up 2 many yards and points to be considered a good D. Hoping to see more continued improvement here as I felt they improved last year. Second half of the Ironton game was the best D I have seen from PHS in years. I would also say I was proud of thier effort against Maddison, they were just behind the 8 ball there with the offense unable to move the ball, they were out there far too long, but was able to slow a very good team for awhile.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Pa Trojan wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 am a lot of questions for the Trojans, I would hope we get some key spots covered and producing, then we can talk top three
Skill players are there. Both lines need work but they have the kids to do it. Just have to put a little more coaching to them at the beginning. I believe Portsmouth will need to be able to throw more. You can run on the ovc but playoff time you need to be a little more balanced.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am Taylon Parker is enough for Portsmouth to be considered a top 3 team in the OVC. The OVC has improved but still is far from a juggernaut, athelets like Parker are few and far between in this league.

The line will be young, but prior to this year nobody was talking about PHS line, and I still believe Taylon will help a young line, through some early growing pains.

As Trojan Dave said defense will again be the biggest question mark. In my opinion the defense was much improved last year, however, still collapsed in some games, and gave up 2 many yards and points to be considered a good D. Hoping to see more continued improvement here as I felt they improved last year. Second half of the Ironton game was the best D I have seen from PHS in years. I would also say I was proud of thier effort against Maddison, they were just behind the 8 ball there with the offense unable to move the ball, they were out there far too long, but was able to slow a very good team for awhile.
I believe if we had a some sort of passing game we could of scored points on Madison. They knew we ran and just shut it down. Could of should of I guess. Still proud of the team.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:34 pm [quote=Trojan_FB_Alum post_id=<a href="tel:1751725">1751725</a> time=<a href="tel:1549897306">1549897306</a> user_id=5538]
Taylon Parker is enough for Portsmouth to be considered a top 3 team in the OVC. The OVC has improved but still is far from a juggernaut, athelets like Parker are few and far between in this league.

I believe if we had a some sort of passing game we could of scored points on Madison. They knew we ran and just shut it down. Could of should of I guess. Still proud of the team.
[/quote]

Agreed with a passing threat we could have made that a ballgame. I really don’t think we played bad on D against them just with no passing threat they loaded the box, shutdown the run, which put us 3 and out most the game resulting in the D being out there way too long.

I like a run first offense, control the speed of the game, but we have to have a passing threat to prevent just loading the box.

I think we will see more of a passing threat this year. IDK if we have an Isaac Kelly, Shane Porter, Craig Felts, Greg Estep Tyler Hull, Michael Estep ( and the list goes on of really good PHS QBs) but I don’t think we need one, just someone that can manage the game and be a threat to throw accurately down the field, I’m sure coach Kalb is working on that now, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a QB competition in the preseason.

Huntster77
Waterboy

Post by Huntster77 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:13 am
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 pm I would think with what they have returning, Ironton should be the favorite.
Portsmouth with Taylon Parker and a good group of skilled guys should be close, will need to break in linemen on both sides of the ball though.

I believe Gallia graduates a lot from their OVC championship team

Normally tough Coal Grove will be breaking in a new coach, so it will be interesting to see the direction he takes them.

South point will be improved but I expect to still struggle

Rock Hill I don’t know

Fairland always athletic

Chesapeake don’t know but normally a tough out.

Someone fill me in one their take of 2019 OVC.
I’d go
Ironton
Rock Hill (surprise team)
Grove
Portsmouth
Gallia
Fairland
Chesapeake
Point
Dragons getting no love again.... we’ll see hahaha

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Huntster77 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:34 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:13 am
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 pm I would think with what they have returning, Ironton should be the favorite.
Portsmouth with Taylon Parker and a good group of skilled guys should be close, will need to break in linemen on both sides of the ball though.

I believe Gallia graduates a lot from their OVC championship team

Normally tough Coal Grove will be breaking in a new coach, so it will be interesting to see the direction he takes them.

South point will be improved but I expect to still struggle

Rock Hill I don’t know

Fairland always athletic

Chesapeake don’t know but normally a tough out.

Someone fill me in one their take of 2019 OVC.
I’d go
Ironton
Rock Hill (surprise team)
Grove
Portsmouth
Gallia
Fairland
Chesapeake
Point
Dragons getting no love again.... we’ll see hahaha
LOL, so you're just going from thread to thread about Fairland, considering no one had posted since Feb. on this one. LOL, must be a player or parent.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I look for the Trojans to be a handful this year. starting a new era there.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Looking forward to the OVC previews this Saturday!

Who Dey!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Time for Gallipolis, Ironton and Portsmouth to rule.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:05 pm Time for Gallipolis, Ironton and Portsmouth to rule.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Top 3 teams are head and shoulders above the rest, and the top 2 are in a league all their own

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

should be an exciting year of football.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “Football”