Downs out at Vinton County

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Re: Downs out at Vinton County

Post by Da Bears »

Don't understand this process at all. If there are no teaching jobs (I think Coach O'Rourke teaches math), why would they waste his time interviewing him? Also, if he interviewed last time and knew he couldn't/wouldn't take the pay cut, why interview again? Makes no sense. Maybe the board at VC is just trying to make people happy by interviewing him. This process sounds like the screwed up process one of my friends told me about in Wellston.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Da Bears wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 pm Don't understand this process at all. If there are no teaching jobs (I think Coach O'Rourke teaches math), why would they waste his time interviewing him? Also, if he interviewed last time and knew he couldn't/wouldn't take the pay cut, why interview again? Makes no sense. Maybe the board at VC is just trying to make people happy by interviewing him. This process sounds like the screwed up process one of my friends told me about in Wellston.
Coach O’Rourke was told before the interview that there were no teaching openings at this time. I don’t think the process is screwed up. Interviews were scheduled and each person was told there are no teaching openings when the interviews were scheduled. Now the interviews are taking place. Just like any other opening if you ask me.

vikingfan?
Waterboy

Post by vikingfan? »

They will find a spot for a coach if they have to. They did for Wellman when he took the job in 2015.

The bigger question is why would anyone be advocating for O'Rourke. He left here when things were good for "greener pastures." Now, he has a team that has had some recent success and he's going to sell out that school to come back to VC.

A coach should be loyal to his players and O'Rourke is not showing that. The Vikings have had a rough couple of years in terms of coaching turnovers, they deserve some stability and support from their coach, community, and board of education.

Also, what some claim is support in McArthur is really just showing up and criticizing. Everyone thinks their way is better but this is a community that has some serious problems when it comes to football. One of those problems is that the "supporters" are consistently flapping their jaws about how whatever they see as a problem with the program. THIS DISCOURAGES KIDS FROM PLAYING HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. There are too many parents (including school board members) and community members openly criticizing football players/coaches in the stands at all levels. This does not help the program.

Until some of the "supporters" begin to stop living in the past and stop being worried about individual accomplishments and "slights" this TEAM will not have success.

LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Post by LeftHanded »

Vinton County went 5-5 this season. Two of those losses were overtime losses at home. Another one was blowing a 21 point lead in the second half. We saw excellent growth from a freshman QB who took it down the field in the closing minutes of the 4th quarter (in the rain) to upset Nelsonville-York. They bring a lot of key players back next year. I think they are CLOSE. I honestly don't care who they hire as long as they can find some stability at head coach, because I've seen them be close before and then take two steps back because of unnecessary changes. Crazy how a community's mentality can change when a team can get above .500

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

The names I keep hearing are Gregg Phipps
Jackie O
And Dutch

Any of these guys will do as they are all proven winners
Plus they know wellston

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Howard Cosell wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am The names I keep hearing are Gregg Phipps
Jackie O
And Dutch

Plus they know wellston
That "Dutch" guy had them Wellston kids "running through brick walls" when he coached there. But then "Jesty" had them doing that at VC too and we saw how well that helped him. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Making decision March board meeting.

veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

allamericanironman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:02 am Making decision March board meeting.
Who have they chose then? If a decision is being made in march at a board meeting they must have their guy im assuming?

Deez Nutz
Waterboy

Post by Deez Nutz »

veer wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:34 am
allamericanironman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:02 am Making decision March board meeting.
Who have they chose then? If a decision is being made in march at a board meeting they must have their guy im assuming?
I've heard only that the new coach's name starts with the letter "D." The way I see it the possibilities, based on previous posts about this process at VC and other area schools, are:

Davey
Downs
Dutch
Duck
Dusty

Did I miss anyone?

“Do you want to see bofa?” :mrgreen:
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Howard Cosell wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am The names I keep hearing are Gregg Phipps
Jackie O
And Dutch

Plus they know wellston
Phipps was at Wellston before for just a season?? Because I think that's the name I heard as the guy who they're going with. Any truth to it we'll see but was told leading candidate was someone who was at Wellston for a short time a few years back.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Tried to look into who VC was looking at but it seems like there's nothing substantial out there. Also with the old coaching staff how many of them remained after Downs left??

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ground Buck wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:28 am
Jackie O
And Dutch

Plus they know wellston
That "Dutch" guy had them Wellston kids "running through brick walls" when he coached there. But then "Jesty" had them doing that at VC too and we saw how well that helped him. :mrgreen:
They ran through NY last year

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:07 am
Jackie O
And Dutch

Plus they know wellston
No, they didn't. Wellston struggles against NY every year and it was no different last year. Even though it was at Wellston, where you're down 14 when you step off the bus. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 am

No, they didn't. Wellston struggles against NY every year and it was no different last year. Even though it was at Wellston, where you're down 14 when you step off the bus. :mrgreen:
Wellston straight wore us out up front all night long. We held on for a win against them. They we're big and strong up front.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Wellston straight wore us out up front all night long. We held on for a win against them. They we're big and strong up front.
Say what you want. But IMO 31-20 is not hanging on. :mrgreen:

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm

I was referring to VC

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Did a Gallia Academy assistant apply here also.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Poo Bear wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:49 pm
Ground Buck wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm

I was referring to VC
Well then, I stand corrected. VC has done that the past two years. NY had a miraculous final drive to pull one out two years ago, but was unable to match that last year. :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”