Downs out at Vinton County

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Downs out at Vinton County

Post by Dundas »

I’m sure a volunteer can get with Combs and have some time allotted for opening up the weight room. I know the last time we were searching for a coach, Rich Mendes was running the weight room. So no, the weight room won’t be locked up like Fort Knox.

We will be taping a special episode of the Viking RedZone Report to discuss the process and who we speculate to be interested in he job. We have personally talked with quite a few interested candidates.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox »

Sid seems very upset by this. I can calculate from last seasons posts on football that it was well known the coach didn't have much support from the parents or the community, so your shock to this outcomes seems a bit dramatic to me. and when you talk about the administrator knowing what they are doing. from the sounds of how the spires brothers did in Jackson it seems maybe a few administrators should have possibly listened to at least that parent. he seems to know what he is doing more than they do. I'm just wondering if you really had no clue this was a possibility.

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

There has been a lot of discussion around the program from parents concerned that the team has been unprepared during the off-season. I have a personal opinion on the matter, but I will keep it personal. However, when we record the special episode of the Redzone, I will do what I always do. And that is give facts and numbers. It’s up t the listener to decipher their own opinion after that. I have always been a numbers guy. They don’t lie. As for the current situation. Sure it sucks to be looking for another coach, but in the end, as long as the board does their job, we should be in good hands, either with a new head coach, or with coach downs, if he were to reapply.

The biggest problem I have on this site though, and about this whole ordeal, is people who have called for Downs’ head for years, yet act shocked and dismayed when his contract wasn’t renewed. Really shows you how some people are. All about recruiting, I mean, gaining from others problems. I’ll leave it at that...

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Dundas wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 am
The biggest problem I have on this site though, and about this whole ordeal, is people who have called for Downs’ head for years, yet act shocked and dismayed when his contract wasn’t renewed. Really shows you how some people are. All about recruiting, I mean, gaining from others problems. I’ll leave it at that...
Any coacing job is short term. its the nature of the business. unless your building some kinda Academy school dynasty. Its never tragic. It Just is what it is.

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:41 pm
Sid Farkus wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:00 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:56 am

I'm sure the weight room isn't going to be padlocked because they don't have a coach lol
The kids who aren't playing a winter sport can still lift lol
The weightroom absolutely will be locked. Schools don’t leave weightrooms open for students to lift unsupervised. No coaches, no supervision.

Curtis Lindner would be great, but no one in their right mind is going to take this job after this happened.
Our weight room is used all year round. Maybe the problem at VC is they don't open the darn weight room up for the kids.
Basketball kids lift in season.
Thats why yer basketballs aint no good. In Racine we dont allow them kids to be liftin them dang waits. Them thangs throws off yer shot.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

1. athletes should lift during season, not saying you need to go max out and lift heavy, but atleast do the basics. Just because NY lifts during the season doesn't mean they're "no good"

2. NY does NOT allow students to lift in the weight room without a teacher/coach present. it is open, but not for any student at anytime....

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

Well crap. Boys theys plenty of applicants down at the McArthur Moose. them boys has known whats wrong with this team for years. I do agree that finding a guy with the right nickname needs to become more importants in the process. personally I would like to see a coach with a name like Scrots McGee take over in vikingnation.

Disklaimer: These here thoughts are my opinions. Dont mean too hurt nobodies feelins. Are we still able to state opinions on here without unfair retribution from certain folkes?
Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

is anyone gonna link the application for this job? this would be the site to list it. im sure many people are interested in it.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm is anyone gonna link the application for this job? this would be the site to list it. im sure many people are interested in it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm
Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm
Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm is anyone gonna link the application for this job? this would be the site to list it. im sure many people are interested in it.
Once the job posting goes "out of house" it will be posted on the ohsaa website like all other jobs.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm Sid seems very upset by this. I can calculate from last seasons posts on football that it was well known the coach didn't have much support from the parents or the community, so your shock to this outcomes seems a bit dramatic to me. and when you talk about the administrator knowing what they are doing. from the sounds of how the spires brothers did in Jackson it seems maybe a few administrators should have possibly listened to at least that parent. he seems to know what he is doing more than they do. I'm just wondering if you really had no clue this was a possibility.
I’m not shocked this happened, just disappointed. The administration at VC made a decision and three members of the board basically told them they do not value their opinion. I just find it sad. Dundas, you seem to think you have all the answers. Maybe they need to get rid of Combs and hire you as AD.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Sid Farkus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:04 pm
Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm Sid seems very upset by this. I can calculate from last seasons posts on football that it was well known the coach didn't have much support from the parents or the community, so your shock to this outcomes seems a bit dramatic to me. and when you talk about the administrator knowing what they are doing. from the sounds of how the spires brothers did in Jackson it seems maybe a few administrators should have possibly listened to at least that parent. he seems to know what he is doing more than they do. I'm just wondering if you really had no clue this was a possibility.
I’m not shocked this happened, just disappointed. The administration at VC made a decision and three members of the board basically told them they do not value their opinion. I just find it sad. Dundas, you seem to think you have all the answers. Maybe they need to get rid of Combs and hire you as AD.
Come on now sid. Don’t make it personal. Matt has done a great job as AD for the football program. I’ve talked to him on multiple occasions and have told him so. Getting teams off the schedule that we had trouble competing with for years was very much needed for a program that was deep in a rut. Combs was my coach and I still look up to him. He has done wonders for this school and county. I don’t have all the answers. I am not an athletic director nor have I ever tried to act like one. All i have ever done on this site or my show has been to give my own fact based opinions. And for anyone to take a shot at me is highly uncalled for. I may not be involved as much as some with the school but there is no one in Vinton County, past or present, that wants this school and these kids to succeed more than me! Period.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Sid Farkus wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:08 pm 2000-present at VC

With Downs: 30-31 (49.2%)
W/O Downs: 30-100 (30%)

Great move 🙄
We’re actually 27-93 without downs since 2000 which is 22.5%. Not far off from what you have but again, I just want to get the correct numbers out there. Also, 30-100 is a 23.077% winning percentage, just fyi.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am

Great move 🙄
We’re actually 27-93 without downs since 2000 which is 22.5%. Not far off from what you have but again, I just want to get the correct numbers out there. Also, 30-100 is a 23.077% winning percentage, just fyi.

Yes, you’re right, 23.077% compared to Downs’s 49.2%. I screwed that up. Also, I was counting Queens’ last season. This is what I have. Curious if I have one of the records wrong or if I just made a mistake adding. Let me know. Thanks, Dundas.

VC football

(Queen)
2000 2-8

(Hemsley)
01 1-9
02 2-8

(Downs)
03 6-4
04 8-3 *playoff season
05 3-7

(Yates)
06 5-5
07 4-6
08 1-9
09 1-9

(Burlson)
10 2-8
11 1-9
12 1-9
13 5-5
14 2-8

(Wellman)
15 3-7

(Downs)
16 4-6
17 5-5
18 4-6

Downs 30-31
Others 30-100

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

Come on now, we all know Downs came in on Joe"s coat tails in his first stint. Joe Bob got the ground work going and resurrected the program and Downs reaped the benefits. His last season record that time is more like what he earned. That was reflected again this time around. I'm sure he'll get a third chance in a few years after the latest craze has a bad year. Then we'll see if the third time is the charm. But since we're discussing records, anyone have O'Rouke's record? I bet it's better than 23%. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

koondoger wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:42 am Come on now, we all know Downs came in on Joe"s coat tails in his first stint. Joe Bob got the ground work going and resurrected the program and Downs reaped the benefits. His last season record that time is more like what he earned. That was reflected again this time around. I'm sure he'll get a third chance in a few years after the latest craze has a bad year. Then we'll see if the third time is the charm. But since we're discussing records, anyone have O'Rouke's record? I bet it's better than 23%. :mrgreen:
The past 3 seasons he is 20-11 at Hillsboro. One league title and playoff appearance... Two time district coach of the year and D3 state coach of the year.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

veer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:59 am
koondoger wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:42 am Come on now, we all know Downs came in on Joe"s coat tails in his first stint. Joe Bob got the ground work going and resurrected the program and Downs reaped the benefits. His last season record that time is more like what he earned. That was reflected again this time around. I'm sure he'll get a third chance in a few years after the latest craze has a bad year. Then we'll see if the third time is the charm. But since we're discussing records, anyone have O'Rouke's record? I bet it's better than 23%. :mrgreen:
The past 3 seasons he is 20-11 at Hillsboro. One league title and playoff appearance... Two time district coach of the year and D3 state coach of the year.
Thank you veer and that's 64.5% for those keeping track at home. I was actually meaning his record at VC, but this is good info to have. So a guy who's record over the last 3 years is 21% higher over that same time period than the guy who beat him out for the job. That seems like the typical scenario at VC. They can't get out of their own way. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Sid Farkus wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:06 am

Great move 🙄

Yes, you’re right, 23.077% compared to Downs’s 49.2%. I screwed that up. Also, I was counting Queens’ last season. This is what I have. Curious if I have one of the records wrong or if I just made a mistake adding. Let me know. Thanks, Dundas.

VC football

(Queen)
2000 2-8

(Hemsley)
01 1-9
02 2-8

(Downs)
03 6-4
04 8-3 *playoff season
05 3-7

(Yates)
06 5-5
07 4-6
08 1-9
09 1-9

(Burlson)
10 2-8
11 1-9
12 1-9
13 5-5
14 2-8

(Wellman)
15 3-7

(Downs)
16 4-6
17 5-5
18 4-6

Downs 30-31
Others 30-100
You are right on that sid. I had a couple of the records mixed up. Math was never my strong suit!

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Sid Farkus wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:06 am

VC football

(Queen)
2000 2-8

(Hemsley)
01 1-9
02 2-8

(Downs)
03 6-4
04 8-3 *playoff season
05 3-7

(Yates)
06 5-5
07 4-6
08 1-9
09 1-9

(Burlson)
10 2-8
11 1-9
12 1-9
13 5-5
14 2-8

(Wellman)
15 3-7

(Downs)
16 4-6
17 5-5
18 4-6

Downs 30-31
Others 30-100
You are right on that sid. I had a couple of the records mixed up. Math was never my strong suit!
What was O'Rouke's record at VC? Anyone?

Return to “Football”