Spread offense

Rolltanks
All Conference

Spread offense

Post by Rolltanks »

Do you think it continues to be more popular in hs or do teams go for more pro style or a combination and why. Is there a trend of title winning teams using spread or a more traditional offense. Thoughts

OSU22
Varsity

Re: Spread offense

Post by OSU22 »

I think it depends on your personal honestly. You may have a downhill runner or you may have a decent running back and 5-6 legit receivers. Also comes down to the O line and can they pass block longer than 2-3 seconds or if their better fit to drive dlineman downfield

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

OSU22 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm I think it depends on your personal honestly. You may have a downhill runner or you may have a decent running back and 5-6 legit receivers. Also comes down to the O line and can they pass block longer than 2-3 seconds or if their better fit to drive dlineman downfield
I agree. Have to have a QB that can make decisions and throws too

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

I think it's too hard for the small division schools to have enough good athletes to really run a spread effectively, especially on a regular basis.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

se-alum wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:03 pm I think it's too hard for the small division schools to have enough good athletes to really run a spread effectively, especially on a regular basis.
True but if they have one good qb you can always get numbers for him to run unless the def plays 3on 4 in the pass game

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Spread is just a philosophy approach to moving the ball. It creates more one on one scenarios. For instance, burgs Holden thrives on the spread big time. Put him in a pro formation and he gets bottled in. I like the spread for just that reason but it's not the only way, example Georgia tech has no problem moving the football. The game basically comes down to tackling and blocking.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Speed Trump's all

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

wobycat wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 pm Spread is just a philosophy approach to moving the ball. It creates more one on one scenarios. For instance, burgs Holden thrives on the spread big time. Put him in a pro formation and he gets bottled in. I like the spread for just that reason but it's not the only way, example Georgia tech has no problem moving the football. The game basically comes down to tackling and blocking.
I understand you but also think Holden can dominate in pro as well. Let's say burg is in pro I. Holden is wideout with te flanker on other side. Burg has 8 man box qb run is out since there is no lead blocker for him. Def is a 3-4 or4-3 either way they have to cage tight end and bring a safety down in the box 8 on 8. So now Holden is one on one if they try and double him they have to play 7-8 or they man up your other 2 guys. If you have good players like burg it won't matter. That's why I like to use both pro and spread.marion local has done it for years. But you are right the spreadgives Holden more options

bcltcr
Riding the Bench

Post by bcltcr »

It all depends on what you can teach, coach, and adjust in game. The spread is just a system.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

bcltcr wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:44 pm It all depends on what you can teach, coach, and adjust in game. The spread is just a system.
Yes it is a system but you can argue that you can run any blocking or any run concepts from the spread. The variety is what makes it popular imo. There's the mauk spread standard spread air raid and power spread. Lots of options for different personnel and all can give you numbers. Still think even spread teams can benefit from little bit of pro set under center just in case

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think spread is here to stay. Spread will become even more popular in high school and in college. It is a great equalizer. It also can be a great running offense. Gallia academy is running almost exclusively the spread. And against chesapeake i think maybe they threw the ball 10 times at most. Forces teams to put less players in box. Also sometimes even easier to set a corner on a play. i know to some that makes little since but if i bunch 3 receivers on one side one really wide other side. have 2 inside receivers. head inward like on a crossing route. outside receiver starts like on a go. you create a lane before you begin to even block. also improves inside running you can usually not even block one of the lineman and double team somewhere close to point of attack.

i think it is another way for less talented teams to compete just like triple option is.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

I think these things come in cycles. The spread generally works better for teams with smaller quicker linemen. I think like stated above, it all comes down to your personel

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Depends on who you got!!!! imagin a burrow to holden they'd hook up for 400 a game..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 pm Depends on who you got!!!! imagin a burrow to holden they'd hook up for 400 a game..
That would be a dynamic duo

SOC 1
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Seabee_0586 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:42 pm
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 pm Depends on who you got!!!! imagin a burrow to holden they'd hook up for 400 a game..
That would be a dynamic duo
Without a doubt..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

svac83 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 pm I think spread is here to stay. Spread will become even more popular in high school and in college. It is a great equalizer. It also can be a great running offense. Gallia academy is running almost exclusively the spread. And against chesapeake i think maybe they threw the ball 10 times at most. Forces teams to put less players in box. Also sometimes even easier to set a corner on a play. i know to some that makes little since but if i bunch 3 receivers on one side one really wide other side. have 2 inside receivers. head inward like on a crossing route. outside receiver starts like on a go. you create a lane before you begin to even block. also improves inside running you can usually not even block one of the lineman and double team somewhere close to point of attack.

i think it is another way for less talented teams to compete just like triple option is.
Except in an instance where a team is running out of the spread but doesnt have a legit passing game. Then you just play man on the outside. and keep the backers in and load the box.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

:lol: :lol: You have to have the right personal to run the spread effectively. You have to run the system that fits the team you have. You cant recruit your team in high school. Or can you!!!! lol

Return to “Football”