Logan(21) @ (43)Chillicothe

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: W5 (1-3) Logan @ (2-2) Chillicothe

Post by Truth&fiction »

I think that there is to much emphasis on winning and not teaching the proper techniques . Also some are not given the chance at a certain positions . Parent coaches try and do a good job with the limited time available but normally the coaches son is the Quarterback or the Running back and most plays go thru them . A good youth program has to have structure that promotes development and commitment to a fair and positive experience . I also think like the above that Flag Football that teaches technique is a good starter .

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Yeah weird Logan can't compete with Sheridan or Teays Valley.
Last edited by Raider6309 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

As I look back on it now, youth tackle programs were a waste of time and you ran risk of injury to young kids. We all risk injury while we play but should postpone that until bodies mature more and professional coaches can correctly teach techniques for blocking and tackling. Takes little time for that to develope. But skills with passing and catching need refinement and come over years of repetition. Looking at the area stats leaders in passing, receiving and rushing, it's a who's who from the flag league. The tackle league produced few stars, often burned the kids out or injured them needing surgery to correct or chasing them off for another sport (soccer). Flag league is 7on7. On the one grandsons team, the QB, 4 WRs and 2 RBs are from the flag league. Five of them were all league last year as underclassmen. BTW, in flag league girls can play with boys teams and some are very good, lol

Have gun, will travel
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

loganlocos wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:11 am Lots of good discussion here without unwarranted criticism and critiques.

As usual, I'll stick up for the staff a bit. Almost the whole staff has been around for decades. Maybe you could argue they have become stale, but as far as chasing kids off, I don't think that's the problem. At least at the HS level.

I also think Burke comes off as an intelligent thoughtful guy - I think he does a lot of things right. From my interactions and observations - I think he is fair with the kids. I've seen some of the coaches Paladin has talked about - the screamer who doesn't know how to communicate or teach. I don't see that in this high school staff.

At the junior high level, I know the 8th grade coaches are respected former players.

On to the youth level - Logan has almost always struggled here. I'm not in the community anymore, so I can't speak to who/what/whee/when of the current youth development - whether we are talking Tomahawks or elsewhere.

I graduated in 2002 at at that time the Tomahawks program was still young. It did help develop the core of the undefeated 2000 and 2001 teams. I think that Freeman and Miller, who ran Tomahawks after Tim Holloway I believe started the program, built an excellent program that developed the core of the teams in the mid to late 2000s, including the 2008-2009 undefeated teams.

I have no idea whether Tomahawks is still a part of the development of youth football players.

I DO know that the Varsity staff has never been involved in the youth development and that when I was still in town the coaches borderline shunned the program. Is that still a problem? I'm not the right person to ask.
My first time posting on anything for Logan in a long time bc my responsibilities are focused elsewhere and prob my last. First time since 1997 I have had no vested interest as a member of media, or as a parent with a kid in the program. But I will say this as someone who was across from the youth program two nights ago with my son who chose Flag this season bc last year "wasn't fun to just get screamed at." I did see one or two current LHS coaches running things for the youth program. There are several former players from Logan helping out, including a few VERY GOOD former players who went on to college to play. So they would know the game and they have guys helping that know what the LHS program is doing and putting it in I would guess. The director of the youth program is a very passionate and dedicated guy who wants nothing but the best for the kids who are involved.

Live Like A Champion!
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

A lot of things must come together to establish a solid run of success. Good fundamentals taught early on, a core group of athletes that come together and bond in those years, encouragement from parents, and support from the community. I witnessed the coming together of the group of kids that formed the nucleus of the 2007-2009 Logan program. As much as the coaching staff was able to bring out the best in them, there was minimal teaching that was needed when those kids hit the junior and senior high levels. They had a grasp of the game, and confidence in one another. They expected to win when they took the field. There were pure athletes and role players, leaders and foot soldiers. Everyone knew their job and did. There is no one thing that makes a difference between winning and losing. It is a number of things. I sometimes reflect back and think the whole community and teams took for granted all the work and the chemistry it took to achieve success. We all became spoiled and thought It was automatic. It's tough to regain an edge. It starts with the desire for excellence and a total commitment to achieve it.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Paladin wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:41 pm As I look back on it now, youth tackle programs were a waste of time and you ran risk of injury to young kids. We all risk injury while we play but should postpone that until bodies mature more and professional coaches can correctly teach techniques for blocking and tackling. Takes little time for that to develope. But skills with passing and catching need refinement and come over years of repetition. Looking at the area stats leaders in passing, receiving and rushing, it's a who's who from the flag league. The tackle league produced few stars, often burned the kids out or injured them needing surgery to correct or chasing them off for another sport (soccer). Flag league is 7on7. On the one grandsons team, the QB, 4 WRs and 2 RBs are from the flag league. Five of them were all league last year as underclassmen. BTW, in flag league girls can play with boys teams and some are very good, lol
^^^^^This^^^^^

No need for contact football for 3rd graders for crying out loud.

Well said Paladin, good post.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

dazed&confused wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm A lot of things must come together to establish a solid run of success. Good fundamentals taught early on, a core group of athletes that come together and bond in those years, encouragement from parents, and support from the community. I witnessed the coming together of the group of kids that formed the nucleus of the 2007-2009 Logan program. As much as the coaching staff was able to bring out the best in them, there was minimal teaching that was needed when those kids hit the junior and senior high levels. They had a grasp of the game, and confidence in one another. They expected to win when they took the field. There were pure athletes and role players, leaders and foot soldiers. Everyone knew their job and did. There is no one thing that makes a difference between winning and losing. It is a number of things. I sometimes reflect back and think the whole community and teams took for granted all the work and the chemistry it took to achieve success. We all became spoiled and thought It was automatic. It's tough to regain an edge. It starts with the desire for excellence and a total commitment to achieve it.
Very good post, right on and it seems to be coming from someone that knows. Not much teaching when they become JR and Sr. Smart coaches act more like a facilitator knowing they have a good product.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

dazed&confused wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm We all became spoiled and thought It was automatic. It's tough to regain an edge.
Yep definitely agree with this!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

dazed&confused wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm A lot of things must come together to establish a solid run of success. Good fundamentals taught early on, a core group of athletes that come together and bond in those years, encouragement from parents, and support from the community. I witnessed the coming together of the group of kids that formed the nucleus of the 2007-2009 Logan program. As much as the coaching staff was able to bring out the best in them, there was minimal teaching that was needed when those kids hit the junior and senior high levels. They had a grasp of the game, and confidence in one another. They expected to win when they took the field. There were pure athletes and role players, leaders and foot soldiers. Everyone knew their job and did. There is no one thing that makes a difference between winning and losing. It is a number of things. I sometimes reflect back and think the whole community and teams took for granted all the work and the chemistry it took to achieve success. We all became spoiled and thought It was automatic. It's tough to regain an edge. It starts with the desire for excellence and a total commitment to achieve it.
The 07-09 group was spectacular - but it bookended a "decade of dominance" that start with the '98 Chiefs reclaiming the SEOAL title before the 2000-01 Chiefs had the first of back to back 10-0 seasons.

The class of 2002 - and the class of 2010 - both had 31-4 records in their three year Varsity careers.

In between those groups - Logan won three SEOAL titles in 5 years, made another playoff appearance, and never finished worse than 5-5 (despite some REALLY challenging schedules.)

But I definitely agree many took it for granted.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I remember that 2000 team. Was in the stands when they handed a big old egg salad sandwich to Westerville South in the playoffs. I can only speak intimately to the latter group I mentioned. Whatever that formula for success was composed of, it can be done again. But it does not come easily. I also recall a 5-5 season when Logan won the SEOAL and that, too, laid the foundation for future success.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

LogangradKD wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:47 pm
My first time posting on anything for Logan in a long time bc my responsibilities are focused elsewhere and prob my last. First time since 1997 I have had no vested interest as a member of media, or as a parent with a kid in the program. But I will say this as someone who was across from the youth program two nights ago with my son who chose Flag this season bc last year "wasn't fun to just get screamed at." I did see one or two current LHS coaches running things for the youth program. There are several former players from Logan helping out, including a few VERY GOOD former players who went on to college to play. So they would know the game and they have guys helping that know what the LHS program is doing and putting it in I would guess. The director of the youth program is a very passionate and dedicated guy who wants nothing but the best for the kids who are involved.
Thanks for the update, KD.

Good to hear. Hopefully a more cohesive structure from youth-to-varsity will pay off down the road.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

dazed&confused wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:28 am I remember that 2000 team. Was in the stands when they handed a big old egg salad sandwich to Westerville South in the playoffs. I can only speak intimately to the latter group I mentioned. Whatever that formula for success was composed of, it can be done again. But it does not come easily. I also recall a 5-5 season when Logan won the SEOAL and that, too, laid the foundation for future success.
Yep. I'm fortunate to have gone to school with the first group and had a brother in the second. The guys in between were all good friends either because we were at LHS together (guys like Ausin Rohr, Josh Sturgell, Justin Pack, etc) or brothers of classmates of mine.

Go Chiefs!

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

Word in Chillicothe is Coach Hinton is unleashing the Dawgs tonight after some injuries and a tough 4 game stretch and some disrespect in the gridiron glory FAC power poll which had Chillicothe ranked 4th out of 6 league teams the players and coaches have a big chip on their shoulder and are going to unload all frustrations starting tonight . 8-2 or bust is what players and coaches are saying . I feel bad for Logan tonight ! Chilli big 49-7!

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Chiefies fought hard for about 2 1/2 quarters then finally blew up. They were not the only one getting blown up someone must have threw a bomb in the SAM broadcast booth tonight. Had to come on here to see the final score. :lol:

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 pm Chiefies fought hard for about 2 1/2 quarters then finally blew up. They were not the only one getting blown up someone must have dropped a bomb in the SAM broadcast booth tonight. Had to come on here to see the final score. :lol:
May have lost contact with the main radio station. Phone line or something/technical difficulty. They was in the away side booth, and said it was hot in there before the game started. Like setting in a pressure cooker one of them said. :shock:

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Pressure cooker lol Image

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

It's time to get ready for the boys in the plains. Showing some improvement in this game. See ya soon Raider ole bud. :) :P

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Everyone seen this one coming

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 pm Pressure cooker lol Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would have died in there as hot as they said it was. What about you, Bolt? :lol: :lol:

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:07 pm Everyone seen this one coming
Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Return to “Football”