Game Report: Greeneview 17 Mechanicsburg 14

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Game Report: Greeneview 17 Mechanicsburg 14

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Greeneview 17 Mechanicsburg 14

Last night I ventured to Mechanicsburg to watch the Indians play for the third time in my lifetime. They were playing Jamestown Greeneview. Both entered with 3-0 records. Greeneview last won against the Indians back in 2012(35-20) back then the Indians finished 4-6 on the season, while the Rams finished at 5-5.

The first quarter, clock read 9:53, when Griffin Mangan planted Dustin Knapp into the grass for a 6-yard loss, but a personal foul was called on the Rams, giving the Indians 15-yards and a first down. Just 31 seconds later Mangan caught a fumble in mid air, then he took it 57-yards for the games first score. Jon Brakeall made good, on the point after kick to give the Rams the early 7-0 lead.

Logan Hurst, the 6-1, 150 pound Sophomore quarterback for the Indians took off on a big run, that took the ball to the Rams 35-yard-line, he was stopped by Collin Wilson before he could do any more damage. Hurst would put the ball on the ground, but their was no damage done, because his teammate, #50 (Not on the roster I am using). The Indians elected to go for it on 4th and seven and this decision did not fair well for them, as the pass by Hurst fell incomplete, with 5:40 left on the clock.

Hurst would put the ball on the ground again, with :28 left in the quarter and once again, no damage was done, because #25(Not on the roster)his teammate came up with the ball. The quarter ended with the Rams leading 7-0.

Mangan would come up big again for Greeneview, when he got to Knapp for a four-yard loss, with 9:21 left in the half.
Defense would continue to rule the half, until there was 1:18 left. That is when Hurst found #21(Not on the roster I have) for a 35-yard gain. The with just :28 left in the half, Hurst would take it 9-yards to make this an one-point game. #42 (Not on the roster) was good on his point after try, to lock this one back up at seven.

Greeneview put together a fine looking eleven play drive that was capped off with a Nick Clevenger touchdown pass to THE LICKING COUNTY FAN PLAYER OF THE GAME GRIFFIN MANGAN, with 7:42 left The point after kickoff of the strong foot of Jon Brakeall made this a 14-7 game. Mangan is listed as a 5-9-170 pound, running back/ linebacker, but he plays much bigger and faster than one would think him capable of.

Sophomore Nick Wolfe, a 5-11 295 pound lineman would make a nice play, when he got to Knapp for a 4-yard-loss, with 7:19 left in the quarter. With 5:44 left in the quarter Knapp would be put on the ground for a short loss, when he was tackled by Clay Payton. Payton, is another one of those players that plays bigger than he is listed(5-9-165)He is a hard-hitting defensive back that plays linebacker.

After getting the ball back the Rams found themselves in a 4th and one situation, with 3:08 seconds showing on the clock. The call was a gut run by Clevenger, who twisted and turned and then gave some John Riggins like 2nd effort to move the chains. Logan Hurst put an immediate stop to the drive, when he intercepted a Clevenger pass, with 1:57left.

:53 seconds into the final stanza the Indians faced a 4th and four trailing by seven, they elected to go for it, but the Rams defense was ready for it as they stopped Hurst just short of the first down marker, at the Rams 12-yard-line. Not one fan should have been able to say that anyone from either team wasn't leaving it all on the field. This was game 32 on the year for me and by far this was the best game to date.

The Rams were forced to punt, with 7:31 left in the game. The punt went directly to the ever dangerous Freshman Keith Bebout, who never got started as was leveled by Payton. The play was a thing of beauty as everyone sitting near me on the home side seem to shake their head in disbelieve.

Needing something huge to happen for them, the Indians went to a little trickery Hurst, the young, talented Sophomore quarterback found Dustin Knapp on a screen pass, the senior running back the tossed it to Bebout for a 46-yard touchdown pass. It was Knapp’s first career touchdown pass. The point after locking this one up at fourteen, with 7:20 left.

There were two nice defensive plays in this one late in the game, as both teams were desperately trying to put a drive together for the winning points. The first play took place, with 6:03 left and it came in the shape of #51(Not on the roster) of the Indians putting Clevenger down for a one-yard loss. The 2nd play came with 4:49 left and that was a Payton getting to Knapp for a huge six-yard-loss.

After getting the ball back the Rams would move downfield as calmly as they could, with the game on the line and with 1:03 left, they would set up for a 21-yard field goal attempt by Brakeall, who put his strong foot into the ball and it easily went over the crossbar and gave the Rams, a 17-14 lead.

The Indians would throw an incomplete pass on fourth down and the Rams offense came onto the field to take a final knee and celebrate their biggest win on the 2017 tackle football season.

VERY UNOFFICIAL STATS
GREENEVIEW RAMS
60 PLAYS
201 YARDS
PASSING 8-12 1 TD 1 INT

MECHANICSBURG INDIANS
54 PLAYS
316 YARDS
PASSING 8-15 1 TD

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Game Report: Greeneview 17 Mechanicsburg 14

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Thanks for rundown and pics LCF! I have never got to see the Rams before but they are near and dear to my Sister and Bro in-law. I was going to see them a few years ago when they played in the Regional Finals in Centerville. I hit a big ole bambi going about 70 -80 mph on the Xenia outerbelt and that ended my night and I never got to see them. This year if they make there again I might have to try another run over, only this time much slower and more aware of what might be running out on front of me. :lol:

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

cbolt wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:27 pm Thanks for rundown and pics LCF! I have never got to see the Rams before but they are near and dear to my Sister and Bro in-law. I was going to see them a few years ago when they played in the Regional Finals in Centerville. I hit a big ole bambi going about 70 -80 mph on the Xenia outerbelt and that ended my night and I never got to see them. This year if they make there again I might have to try another run over, only this time much slower and more aware of what might be running out on front of me. :lol:
You are welcome.

This one has gotten over 5oo views.

Return to “Football”