Portsmouth(14) @ (32)West

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Week 2 Portsmouth (1-0) @ Portsmouth West (1-0

Post by BigBlueNation »

vladimir wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:00 pm I caught this game from the 2nd-quarter on, and West just flat wore PHS out with good old fashioned smash-mouth football. After the pick 6, it seemed like PHS just gave up and West took advantage of the opportunity. I remember someone saying earlier after a scrimmage that West isn't physical... That's not the West team I watched tonight. West wore PHS out with physical play and 32-unanswered points.
Very good post. I agree 100%. I think West was a little flat the first half. They came out the second half with a lot of fire a wore the Trojans down. Good old fashioned smash mouth football.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:45 pm
tiger59 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm West needs some discipline!how many penalties is there on them already?
Just figuring that out? Lol. It's been that way for 30 years.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
tiger59
Riding the Bench

Post by tiger59 »

Westfan wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 pm
tiger59 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm West needs some discipline!how many penalties is there on them already?
32 unanswered. How's that for discipline? That's what great coaching looks like
Chill bud.Good job for West. Last we heard they had about 10 unsportsmanlike penalties in a row.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

tiger59 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:05 pm
Chill bud.Good job for West. Last we heard they had about 10 unsportsmanlike penalties in a row.
I was at the game you heard wrong.

tiger59
Riding the Bench

Post by tiger59 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:08 pm
tiger59 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:05 pm

I was at the game you heard wrong.
Great, glad we heard wrong.Looking forward to seeing this team play one week.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Portsmouth has a talented team and I know Parker is hurt, but you have to be able to do more than quarterback run all game. Portsmouth needs better conditioning too.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Would like to see this one played without hurricane rains lol. Honestly don't think the rain mattered as much, Portsmouth doesn't have the bodies to rotate in and out, so they were flat wore out from West running the ball play after play, don't think West did anything special just played good hard nosed old fashioned footballz they ran the ball well, controlled the los and were better conditioned. As for the offense, it was one dimensional tonight. Kelly left, Kelly right, not hard to stop when that's all you see, he had to have ran the ball 25 times. Without the rain, play calling might have been a little different not sure. Need to be better conditioned from here on. Congrats to West and good luck the rest of the season. Sadly won't be going to the game next week, not driving 3 hours to Gallion. Go Trojans!

Who Dey!
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I thought it would be closer but with the weather, one can never really tell how things will play out.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Weather?? Both teams played in the same weather correct?? I mean if you know that the weather is going to dictate game play it would so for both teams. LOS was controlled by the players and obviously West was better at that tonight. West thoroughly dominated this game in a route plain and simple.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Congrats to The Senators!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 am Weather?? Both teams played in the same weather correct?? I mean if you know that the weather is going to dictate game play it would so for both teams. LOS was controlled by the players and obviously West was better at that tonight. West thoroughly dominated this game in a route plain and simple.
Yes both teams played under the same conditions. I was not taking nothing away from West or the win.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Portsmouth(14) @ (32)West

Post by mattash »

I went live on facebook for the 4th quarter but its hard to see anything. (mattash)
Was a fun game

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Hylander
JV Team

Post by Hylander »

I think the rain made West incredibly one dimensional. Usually they have a solid passing game, but Bradford couldn't get a grip on the ball. From the little bit of the game I watched, I saw at least one pass attempt that probably would have been a touchdown on any other day fall well short of the target.

Having not seen much of Portsmouth the last few years, I can't speak for them, but I think the rain severely handicapped West's offense. It's a huge positive that they were able to adjust the way they did.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Shocking! West must be pretty darn good.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Hylander wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:54 am I think the rain made West incredibly one dimensional. Usually they have a solid passing game, but Bradford couldn't get a grip on the ball. From the little bit of the game I watched, I saw at least one pass attempt that probably would have been a touchdown on any other day fall well short of the target.

Having not seen much of Portsmouth the last few years, I can't speak for them, but I think the rain severely handicapped West's offense. It's a huge positive that they were able to adjust the way they did.
Yes the weather hurt West. West had one turnover on a jet shotgun and was on on the move to start the 3rd quarter and lost a center exchange. West has to be diverse because they're not the biggest or the fastest but they play extremely hard.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Senators on the win.........West completely outplayed Portsmouth in the 2nd half with a punishing ground game, and it certainly appeared as if the Trojans wore down as the game progressed. No excuses about the rain and weather, PHS had a 14-0 lead and then let the Senators score the next 32 points. One thing I must say about the Trojans going forward.......THEY HAVE TO GET THE PENALTY PLAGUE UNDER CONTROL!! There were a couple of drives by PHS inside the 15 yard line that were killed by penalties.....and there were other very intimely penalties.

Frustrating night to see a 14-0 lead melt away, but still GO TROJANS!! Our kids still have a lot to play for!!

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

The goal line stop by West in the 3rd was the shifting point in the game.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

noles_fan wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:21 am The goal line stop by West in the 3rd was the shifting point in the game.
Yes. They had a couple of them.

This was a big win for the program. Felt good for the players and the coaching staff. Most thought West would loose convincingly. Good teams win games when you're not supposed to or aren't the most talented individually. Alot of those guys that made plays Friday will be back next year and there is alot of talent coming up. I think West is poised to make a big run over the next few seasons and we may look back and point to this game.

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

West and Portsmouth will play again week 11?

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I would watch that game again.

Return to “Football”