Serious Burg vs Ironton question

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Serious Burg vs Ironton question

Post by ironman02 »

Sport Fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am Burg has been and will continue to be in the running for a State Final. Next year Burg has dropped Fairland and pick up Bishop Hartley , so continue with Ironton , Hartley , Heath, Watterson and Jackson , I say this is a great Non Conference schedule to better prepare them for Playoffs....
I didn't know that Burg had added Hartley for next year. Excellent choice!

Having Hartley and Watterson on the schedule, plus Jackson is a great non-conference slate, in my opinion. I maintain that Ironton will get better at some point, and Heath is also a good game. Heath has been a little up and down lately, but traditionally, they have a solid program.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Tigercannon71 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:17 am I love how Burg wins a few games by a lot and you fans start saying end the series it's not competitive anymore. Ironton won like 16 in a row over you guys and not once did people say let's end the series it's not competitive.
Ironton never came close to winning 16 in a row. This might be the longest streak by either team. The difference is just about all the games used to be very competitive.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

BigChuck wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:06 am Our Pirates have to play our conference schedule, it's just the way it is. But, we do have and need to use flexibility in our non conference schedule. We have an opportunity to play at a higher level and we really need games with programs to help us achieve that level. We need to make some changes soon rather than later as our window of opportunity to have higher relevancy is upon us now. The Ironton game (a non-conference game) no longer helps us achieve that level. And honestly I don't see Ironton coming back to past prevalence, I actually see the other schools in the OVC closing the gap on them.

Even if we schedule a team that we take a loss to, it helps the kids see the level of play they need to be seeing in order to get to the Championship game at State and truly competing to win it, we need to build some more hunger in our kids, let them deal with stress in the regular season to be better able to deal the stress in the post season....JMO
I totally understand chuck. and that's exactly how ironton football was built as well. I just hope the series continues. but yes ironton has been caught by the other county schools now.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Tigercannon71 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:17 am I love how Burg wins a few games by a lot and you fans start saying end the series it's not competitive anymore. Ironton won like 16 in a row over you guys and not once did people say let's end the series it's not competitive.

I agree here as well. but if ironton cannot field a competitive team that can regularly compete with teams like burg I see their point as well. ironton made themselves a football giant by playing any and everybody. but things have just changed. I don't want to see the series end. but every burg poster you talk to wants that. so I'm assuming that is the heartbeat of their program's and communities thinking.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ironman02 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 pm
Sport Fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am Burg has been and will continue to be in the running for a State Final. Next year Burg has dropped Fairland and pick up Bishop Hartley , so continue with Ironton , Hartley , Heath, Watterson and Jackson , I say this is a great Non Conference schedule to better prepare them for Playoffs....
I didn't know that Burg had added Hartley for next year. Excellent choice!

Having Hartley and Watterson on the schedule, plus Jackson is a great non-conference slate, in my opinion. I maintain that Ironton will get better at some point, and Heath is also a good game. Heath has been a little up and down lately, but traditionally, they have a solid program.

I could not agree more, just jealous it hain't still the tigers that are doing it.

bigdogtaz
Waterboy

Post by bigdogtaz »

Ironton's words have come back home to rest, for years they made fun of the OVC stating that you could never build a playoff caliber team in the OVC its always too weak, that you would always be one and done if you did make playoff's, That to be the best you had to build the best. Now they boast of winning a trophy they once laughed at and belittled. The Burg was the better team, they have a program that not only players and coaches buy into but also the community and supporters. should be very evident by watching last years starting QB loose his position and stay with the team and contribute in a different position, most kids and parents would have transferred out or set out the season, have to admire that young man, The Bob Lutz era and draw to the tank are over and unless the community gets behind the program and encourages that to build tiger fans are going to have to settle for what they have. Who do they think they can hire that will have the draw and ability to bring them back to a powerhouse in a few season's? Support your team, encourage more boys to play, and hope for the best when season is over then unleash your anger and demand a different coach, I'm no fan of Ironton but those player's deserve that at the very least. just my opinion

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

bigdogtaz wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:55 pm Ironton's words have come back home to rest, for years they made fun of the OVC stating that you could never build a playoff caliber team in the OVC its always too weak, that you would always be one and done if you did make playoff's, That to be the best you had to build the best. Now they boast of winning a trophy they once laughed at and belittled. The Burg was the better team, they have a program that not only players and coaches buy into but also the community and supporters. should be very evident by watching last years starting QB loose his position and stay with the team and contribute in a different position, most kids and parents would have transferred out or set out the season, have to admire that young man, The Bob Lutz era and draw to the tank are over and unless the community gets behind the program and encourages that to build tiger fans are going to have to settle for what they have. Who do they think they can hire that will have the draw and ability to bring them back to a powerhouse in a few season's? Support your team, encourage more boys to play, and hope for the best when season is over then unleash your anger and demand a different coach, I'm no fan of Ironton but those player's deserve that at the very least. just my opinion
Pretty dang good first post, spot on.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 pm
bigdogtaz wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:55 pm Ironton's words have come back home to rest, for years they made fun of the OVC stating that you could never build a playoff caliber team in the OVC its always too weak, that you would always be one and done if you did make playoff's, That to be the best you had to build the best. Now they boast of winning a trophy they once laughed at and belittled. The Burg was the better team, they have a program that not only players and coaches buy into but also the community and supporters. should be very evident by watching last years starting QB loose his position and stay with the team and contribute in a different position, most kids and parents would have transferred out or set out the season, have to admire that young man, The Bob Lutz era and draw to the tank are over and unless the community gets behind the program and encourages that to build tiger fans are going to have to settle for what they have. Who do they think they can hire that will have the draw and ability to bring them back to a powerhouse in a few season's? Support your team, encourage more boys to play, and hope for the best when season is over then unleash your anger and demand a different coach, I'm no fan of Ironton but those player's deserve that at the very least. just my opinion

Pretty dang good first post, spot on.
Excellent comment on last years qb. Most kids today would have quit or transferred. Great example set by the young man and his parents.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

They never won 16 straight in this series and our win on sat made 7 straight for us. Majority being blowouts

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:11 am
ironman02 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:23 pm Wheelersburg is hammering everyone in SE Ohio right now. Their program is in a great position, and has always been consistently successful. However, this is a series that Ironton used to control. It may take a while, but I think Ironton will improve enough to make this a competitive series again in the future. Burg could definitely seek out a better opponent, but it's probably a game that shouldn't leave the schedule forever.

I do get what people are thinking though, because I feel the same way about the Jackson/Wellston series. If Wheelersburg wants to take that next step, and become a perennial state title contender, playing opponents that will raise their level of play through more intense competition is the way to do that. I think scheduling Watterson this season is definitely a good thing (even though they're a little down from what they used to be), and more games like that in the future will benefit their program as a whole.

I do believe it's very difficult to convince some schools from the metropolitan areas to travel down to our part of the state, especially when those schools usually play in D3 or higher. They don't wanna make the trip when they can find a competitive game in closer proximity, and they also don't want to get trucked by a D5 program.

wonderful post ironman.
Couldn't agree with more Ironman

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

BigChuck wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 am and yes...Fairland should never have been scheduled!!
I wish we never would have resigned them a couple yrs ago. Personally I'd like to see us pick up wayne, blazer or huntington.

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
falcons4life
Riding the Bench

Post by falcons4life »

I was an impartial fan at this game and watched 1 good football team and 1 football team that could make a serious run to the state! (there is a big difference between the level of talent between a good team and a state contender) Ironton was outmatched in all areas, but is still a good looking ball team. Wheelersburg can go 2-3 deep at all positions and putting their backups in would still result in the team winning nearly every game. I don't think it is time to throw in the towel on this series as it still highlights 2 of the best teams in the area. Best of luck to both teams this year!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I don't either friend and I hope they don't.

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

Best of luck to the Ironton Tigers during the rest of the year.

As for Burg, time will tell how the year plays out. I have never seen so many threats in all facets of the game. You have second and third stringers coming in who would not only start, but be the best players on about any other team around here. When your backup QB is All-State and backup running backs run 4.5 40-yard-dashes, your team is special.

Again, time will tell...Burg won't get much respect in most of the state, including many people around southern Ohio, until they win the playoff games and win that game this year on December 1st.

Until then, I'll enjoy every play of every game as far as they go. GO BURG!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

falcons4life wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:19 pm I was an impartial fan at this game and watched 1 good football team and 1 football team that could make a serious run to the state! (there is a big difference between the level of talent between a good team and a state contender) Ironton was outmatched in all areas, but is still a good looking ball team. Wheelersburg can go 2-3 deep at all positions and putting their backups in would still result in the team winning nearly every game. I don't think it is time to throw in the towel on this series as it still highlights 2 of the best teams in the area. Best of luck to both teams this year!
I agree, just 3 years ago the score was 14-6 when Burg made it to the State Semi Finals. I give Burg all due respect, they have had pretty dang good Teams the last few years.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

now time fer the fighting tigers to put that one in the rear view and reel off a string of victories.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

9 would be fine.

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:46 pm
BigChuck wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 am and yes...Fairland should never have been scheduled!!
I wish we never would have resigned them a couple yrs ago. Personally I'd like to see us pick up wayne, blazer or huntington.
I think any of those three would be good games. Possibly Spring Valley as well.

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

BigChuck wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:46 pm
I think any of those three would be good games. Possibly Spring Valley as well.
never thought about SV

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Try Cabell midland the put it on Jackson