Chasing Ghosts: The Haunting of Ironton football

BigCarlito72
JV Team

Chasing Ghosts: The Haunting of Ironton football

Post by BigCarlito72 »

Currently Ironton, Ohio lists a population of approximately 10,891 people. That is a little over a 2.1% decrease since 7 years ago in 2010. Ironton high school lists an enrollment of around 400 students. That is around a 100 student decrease since 2005. To put that last enrollment number into perspective, South Point high school lists an enrollment of 421 students, making it the larger school of the two. Nearly 48% of Ironton students qualify for free or reduced lunch under the current state metric. That is nearly half of the entire student body or approximately 150 - 200 students. What this statistic indicates is no secret. Ironton boast a disproportionate poverty level in comparison to the state average. Matter of fact, 23% of Ironton residents rank below the poverty level in comparison to a lower state average of around 19%. Ironton Fighting Tiger football over the last few years has averaged a roster that fluctuated anywhere between 45 to 55 players and although it has remained flat at around 50 for the last 3 or 4 years, it is a marked decrease from the early 2000's and shows no sign of any trending growth pattern.

I mention the aforementioned demographics in an attempt to illustrate what I perceive are the fundamental reasons why Ironton football finds itself in a marked performance deficit in comparison to years passed and also to point out the fallacies that exist in the current program as well as the within the local community and media analysis of the program.

Ironton is by all accounts resistant to change as a whole. This deficiency is present in every aspect of the community from local politics to their economy and lifestyle habits. Too often Irontonians find themselves stuck gazing into the rear view mirror yearning to rekindle the nostalgia of yesterday and nowhere is this fatal flaw more present than on the football field. When long time head coach Bob Lutz retired Ironton made no attempts to start fresh and instead elected to once again lunge for remnants of the past by hiring head coach Mark Vass. I want to be clear that this is not an indictment of coach Vass but rather an indictment of Irontons failure to change and modernize the culture of Ironton Fighting Tiger football. Ask yourself a question. When Jim Tressel stepped down at Ohio State and a year later when Ohio State hired Urban Meyer, why did the culture at Ohio State not stay the same? The answer is simple. Because when you hire a football coach you buy into that coaches vision moving forward. You invest in the notion that his vision will resonate with his players and in turn a new culture will be nurtured thusly harvesting an improved upon result. For everything the current program has achieved they have failed to compose a vision and a culture that translates to todays youth. I hate to break it to you boys and girls but the notion that Ironton is not what they once were because kids today would rather play video games and be lazy or coaches do not force wrestling participation upon their personnel like years passed is a gross fallacy that seeks to throw young men under the bus instead of holding accountable a program for their unwillingness to evolve. It is the responsibility of the staff to encourage ambition and excitement by offering these young men a modern vision that they can relate to and quite frankly, they ain't feeling those old glory day tunes that ya singing, Springsteen.

It has been two years since Ironton won an out of conference game against a very average out of conference schedule. #BREAKING!!!! The Ashlands and Wheelersburgs of the world only seem like they are more than mortal in their local regions. The truth is along with being a member of quite possibly the weakest conference in Ohio high school football, ( OVC) Irontons strength of schedule is and has been extraordinarily pedestrian.

At some point in life we as people both singularly and as many variations of a collective are confronted with the inevitability of change. It is in these moments where our decision to shed our old skin in exchange for new define how we adapt to the changes we most certainly will endure.

At the end of the day we either chase ghosts or we discover new spirit. Today, the hallowed ground of Tanks Memorial Stadium bears a more striking resemblance to a haunted house.

BTWN_THE_LINE
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Chasing Ghosts: The Haunting of Ironton football

Post by noreply66 »

nice read

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

WOW. BUT OH WHAT MEMORIES WE HAVE TO PUT IN OUR BACK POCKETS. I TOO MISS THE PRESTIGE, THE DOMINATION AND THE EXCITEMENT. AND THOUGH I DON'T GET TO GO TO NEARLY AS MANY GAMES AS I USED TO BECAUSE OF MOBILITY AND VISION ISSUES. I WILL ALWAYS HAVE A PIECE OF IRONTON FOOTBALL IN MY LIFE. WHERE EVER THE PROGRAM GOES FROM HERE. IT WAS AN HONOR TO GET TO PLAY FOR BOB LUTZ AND HIS STAFF, ALBEIT SHORTLY BECAUSE OF A KNEE INJURY MY SOPHOMORE YEAR.THEN MAKING A MOVE TO A TRADE SCHOOL MY LAST 2 YEARS TO WELD. I GOT TO PLAY UP THROUGH THEN IN IRONTON WHEN FOOTBALL WAS EVERYTHING. WE PLAYED IT EVERYWHERE FROM THE FRONT YARDS TO THE FLOODWALLS. EVER PLAY FLOODWALL FOOTBALL, AND YOU'LL KNOW WHY IRONTON BOYS WERE TOUGHER THAN AVERAGE BACK THEN. AND WE HAD NO CELL PHONES OR VIDEO GAMES.WE PUSHED SEVEN MAN SLEDS WITH THE COACHING STAFF STANDING ON IT, WE RAN THE BLEACHERS, WE CRABBED, RAN LAPS, FULL CONTACT PRACTICES, WORKED AND PRACTICE TILL TOTAL EXHAUSTION. THEN WENT HOME AND PLAYED SANDLOT TACKLE FOOTBALL IN FRONT YARDS AFTER THAT. TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THAT IRONTON PEOPLE LOVE THEIR FOOTBALL, THEIR STADIUM, TIGER ALLEY. AND THERE IS NO SHAME IN LIVING IN THE PAST, AND HOPING FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE. STILL AND ALWAYS WILL BE VERY PROUD OF IRONTON FIGHTING TIGER FOOTBALL. AND PEOPLE CAN MAKE FUN OF THE LEAGUE, SCHEDULE, WHAT EVER. BUT FOR 40 YEARS, NOBODY IRONTON'S SIZE PLAYED TOUGHER SCHEDULES. AND PLAYED IN THE SEOAL, THE OKAC, AND WERE INDEPENDANT FOR MANY YEARS, TAKING ON ALL COMERS. SO UNLESS TEAMS CAN CLAIM THIS , THERE IS NO SHAME IN IT. I REALIZE SPORTS ARE ABOUT WINS, WITHOUT THEM CHANGES NEED MADE. THAT IS WORLD WIDE. HOPEFULLY THE FIGHTING TIGERS HAVE A BETTER YEAR, SHOW MORE DISCIPLINE, AND RESTRAINT AND PRACTICE HARD NOSED FUNDAMENTAL FOOTBALL. THESE COACHES PLAYED FOR BOB LUTZ, SO THEY KNOW HOW TO EMMULATE THAT. IT'S ALL ABOUT DESIRE FROM THE COACHES, ASSISTANTS AND PLAYERS FROM THERE.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

if this staff doesnt start beating someone besides the ovc, i dont see them around long term. but it is nice to have a storied past to remember. most programs around here had that one or 2 goods years they burned brightly and faded into obscurity. ironton was a hot charcoal fire cooking ribeyes for decades......

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I have seen high school programs from sports to competitive marching band achieve the thrill of victory then fall to comparative mediocrity. The results really do not matter as long as the activity continues to promote the building of positive character traits in our young people. Ironton still has a good football program. Adults should celebrate the present and avoid dwelling on past glory from their lost youth.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

eagle one wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:48 am if this staff doesnt start beating someone besides the ovc, i dont see them around long term. but it is nice to have a storied past to remember. most programs around here had that one or 2 goods years they burned brightly and faded into obscurity. ironton was a hot charcoal fire cooking ribeyes for decades......

I agree. sports is performance based. and ironton is used to traveling around playing playoff games till Christmas. I sure hope those days return in the near future. it was awesome beating the teams they did and traveling all over the state taking on all comers. no shame in falling to a superior program in a hard fought well played game. but nobody involved with ironton football is into moral victories. and winning the league was never a season goal. though it was a much steeper challenge in the seoal and okac and independent days. we invaded venues all over the state. and it's awesome to be in line and see those 2 customized IRONTON FIGHTING TIGER greyhounds show up. it seems like every other year we were in a state game or at the very least a regional final. nothing wrong about having a past. hard not to dwell on it when you have been a part of it as a player, fan and a persom that follows the program. but everybody is right, though they have all those state final appearances n such and 2 state titles. now is now, and it's time to pony up and start winning some out of conference games. even at that, this will be the fighting tigers 3rd year in the ovc, and have yet to be beat. now you got Portsmouth and gahs back in the mix making noise. hopefully the league will impress more this year, and some teams win some playoff games. and be deep from top to bottom, and wish the same for the soc as well.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Omega wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:06 pm I have seen high school programs from sports to competitive marching band achieve the thrill of victory then fall to comparative mediocrity. The results really do not matter as long as the activity continues to promote the building of positive character traits in our young people. Ironton still has a good football program. Adults should celebrate the present and avoid dwelling on past glory from their lost youth.

amen brother. at the beginning and the end it is still about the kids from players, to band members, cheerleaders and majorettes, flag gals, the whole entirety of the school system. keeping kids occupied, and away from the evils of the world and influencing young lives on strength and discipline to draw on as adults.

BigCarlito72
JV Team

Post by BigCarlito72 »

noreply66 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 amnice read
Thank you.

BTWN_THE_LINE
BigCarlito72
JV Team

Post by BigCarlito72 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:46 am WOW. BUT OH WHAT MEMORIES WE HAVE TO PUT IN OUR BACK POCKETS. I TOO MISS THE PRESTIGE, THE DOMINATION AND THE EXCITEMENT. AND THOUGH I DON'T GET TO GO TO NEARLY AS MANY GAMES AS I USED TO BECAUSE OF MOBILITY AND VISION ISSUES. I WILL ALWAYS HAVE A PIECE OF IRONTON FOOTBALL IN MY LIFE. WHERE EVER THE PROGRAM GOES FROM HERE. IT WAS AN HONOR TO GET TO PLAY FOR BOB LUTZ AND HIS STAFF, ALBEIT SHORTLY BECAUSE OF A KNEE INJURY MY SOPHOMORE YEAR.THEN MAKING A MOVE TO A TRADE SCHOOL MY LAST 2 YEARS TO WELD. I GOT TO PLAY UP THROUGH THEN IN IRONTON WHEN FOOTBALL WAS EVERYTHING. WE PLAYED IT EVERYWHERE FROM THE FRONT YARDS TO THE FLOODWALLS. EVER PLAY FLOODWALL FOOTBALL, AND YOU'LL KNOW WHY IRONTON BOYS WERE TOUGHER THAN AVERAGE BACK THEN. AND WE HAD NO CELL PHONES OR VIDEO GAMES.WE PUSHED SEVEN MAN SLEDS WITH THE COACHING STAFF STANDING ON IT, WE RAN THE BLEACHERS, WE CRABBED, RAN LAPS, FULL CONTACT PRACTICES, WORKED AND PRACTICE TILL TOTAL EXHAUSTION. THEN WENT HOME AND PLAYED SANDLOT TACKLE FOOTBALL IN FRONT YARDS AFTER THAT. TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THAT IRONTON PEOPLE LOVE THEIR FOOTBALL, THEIR STADIUM, TIGER ALLEY. AND THERE IS NO SHAME IN LIVING IN THE PAST, AND HOPING FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE. STILL AND ALWAYS WILL BE VERY PROUD OF IRONTON FIGHTING TIGER FOOTBALL. AND PEOPLE CAN MAKE FUN OF THE LEAGUE, SCHEDULE, WHAT EVER. BUT FOR 40 YEARS, NOBODY IRONTON'S SIZE PLAYED TOUGHER SCHEDULES. AND PLAYED IN THE SEOAL, THE OKAC, AND WERE INDEPENDANT FOR MANY YEARS, TAKING ON ALL COMERS. SO UNLESS TEAMS CAN CLAIM THIS , THERE IS NO SHAME IN IT. I REALIZE SPORTS ARE ABOUT WINS, WITHOUT THEM CHANGES NEED MADE. THAT IS WORLD WIDE. HOPEFULLY THE FIGHTING TIGERS HAVE A BETTER YEAR, SHOW MORE DISCIPLINE, AND RESTRAINT AND PRACTICE HARD NOSED FUNDAMENTAL FOOTBALL. THESE COACHES PLAYED FOR BOB LUTZ, SO THEY KNOW HOW TO EMMULATE THAT. IT'S ALL ABOUT DESIRE FROM THE COACHES, ASSISTANTS AND PLAYERS FROM THERE.
Indeed desire is part and parcel but kids play video games and stay on their phones everywhere. Including at the schools that regularly hand Ironton their ass presently. The nuance that is a challenge for coaches is inventing a culture that the kids can buy into. Its like catching lightning in a bottle. Stories of yesteryear are well and good, but they dont inspire commitment to a present vision. That needs to be organic and breathe on its own without being held to an outdated comparitive. The kids deserve their own signature on a new product.

BTWN_THE_LINE
BigCarlito72
JV Team

Post by BigCarlito72 »

eagle one wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:48 am if this staff doesnt start beating someone besides the ovc, i dont see them around long term. but it is nice to have a storied past to remember. most programs around here had that one or 2 goods years they burned brightly and faded into obscurity. ironton was a hot charcoal fire cooking ribeyes for decades......
Ideally I would like to see an entirely new staff with no ties to the past installed. A young coach with his own ideas and vision for the future of Ironton football.

People tend to forget, once upon a time that is how Bob Lutz came to be.

BTWN_THE_LINE
BigCarlito72
JV Team

Post by BigCarlito72 »

Omega wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:06 pm I have seen high school programs from sports to competitive marching band achieve the thrill of victory then fall to comparative mediocrity. The results really do not matter as long as the activity continues to promote the building of positive character traits in our young people. Ironton still has a good football program. Adults should celebrate the present and avoid dwelling on past glory from their lost youth.
Absolutely. Living in a rear view mirror leaves you lost and unprepared for the future.

BTWN_THE_LINE
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The biggest problem at Ironton is that everyone lives in the past. These kids need a fan base that will let them create a future for this program.
They need coaches who understand how to reach today's youth.
Quit trying to compare this group of kids to the teams of 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:19 pm The biggest problem at Ironton is that everyone lives in the past. These kids need a fan base that will let them create a future for this program.
[/quote

Fan base is not what it was before at home or away games. Also parents and others try to influence what goes on the field. To much turmoil off the field effects the play on the field. As in personal fouls all the time. All the talk about getting rid of all the coaches which has gone on when Triplett was there and when Lutz left the second time. The attitude of the all players need to be about the team. Just as the fans and parents need to be about the team not about personal items. I remember the first game when Lutz came back people posted about many people leaving the game at halftime and that this was not an Ironton team they remembered. Well this talk is still going on. Keep dreaming until everyone gets behind the team and earn it on the field. Or just chase ghosts from the past.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

I'm not from ironton but I am from franklin furnace and people try to live back from 89 & 90 with the kids now especially the jr. class so the fans need to let the kids make a new history just my opinion... good luck fighting tigers

SOC 1
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I think right now people desire seeing football like the past so bad, that we only have that to look back at and say hey. this is now, but we need this kind of commitment back again.coaches and players.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Get a big broom out in the coaching office. Don't you think Wheelersburg and Ashland have lost students?

KY.BUCKEYE
Freshman Team

Post by KY.BUCKEYE »

I know Ashland has had to shut down 1 of their 5 or6 elementary schools because of low numbers in the last few years.

G0 BuCKs
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ky. we had seven when I was in grade school in ironton. and each one had their own team. grade school was 1-6 junior high was 7-8.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:19 pm The biggest problem at Ironton is that everyone lives in the past. These kids need a fan base that will let them create a future for this program.

no not everyone lives in the past my friend.........you are totally wrong on that assumption.......

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

BubbleGum Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:01 pm

no not everyone lives in the past my friend.........you are totally wrong on that assumption.......
Then how come that's all we ever hear about from Ironton posters.......

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”