Total votes: 113

Abe Froman
S

Re: Which County has the best overall football

Post by Abe Froman »

Poo Bear wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I assume we're speaking all time programs
Ironton 8 titles games 2 championships , no debate

2014 Athens not super strong on defense but would roll any team from southern Ohio ...ever
I am convinced (I hate to give the Tigers props a week before we enter the Tank to play them but oh well lol), one of Ironton's state championship teams from back in the day could have hung with Burrow and company in my opinion. Lutz would have gotten at least one stop defensively I am almost sure, and no way Athens would have been physical enough (at least from what I saw against TCC) to have stopped Ironton's offensive possessions.

Of course no one will ever know but it does make for a great discussion, and lol I am sure there are different opinions besides mine that are equally persuasive for Athens.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Starters in 4 quarters ...Athens scores 70-80 points

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Based on current history of the last season, Scioto County has the best team. Lawrence County has the best competitive balance top to bottom. There is really no non subjective way of measuring this.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With Athens poor defense there has been several teams in the SEO that would have held their offense down and beat the Bulldogs.

Probably 4/5 Ironton Team, 2/3 Logan teams, a few Burg teams, Could be a couple Waverly teams.
Athens went far in a very weak division in Ohio that year and finished 2nd to a team that had a poor defense as well. It wasn't what team would score the most but what defense would give up the most.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Scioto County, since 2000 alone, probably has combined for more wins than every other county in the local area. With that being said, Scioto also has 10 schools that also have football, Northwest, West, Portsmouth, East, Notre Dame, Green, Burg, Minford, and Valley. Since 2000, Scioto has won four Regional Championships, 2000 by Portsmouth, West in 2002, Valley in 2011, and Burg in 2015. Overall, the county has 31 playoff wins and 44 losses. It breaks down as such:
Valley 11-6
Burg 16-13
Minford 2-7
East 0-4
Notre Dame 1-4
West 6-6
Portsmouth 7-5

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

noreply66 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:09 pm With Athens poor defense there has been several teams in the SEO that would have held their offense down and beat the Bulldogs.

Probably 4/5 Ironton Team, 2/3 Logan teams, a few Burg teams, Could be a couple Waverly teams.
Athens went far in a very weak division in Ohio that year and finished 2nd to a team that had a poor defense as well. It wasn't what team would score the most but what defense would give up the most.
You're not very bright
Athens scored the most points in 50 years at Steubenville. Could have had the record. Steubenville a state team
Athens was up 52-14 at half on a Zanesville team that went to state 2 out of three years
Athens rolled the best defense in Ohio Tri Valley. I think they gave up like 2 points a game
Athens gave Desales its worst playoff loss in school history. Their QB went to Michigan State
Athens defense beat the two time defending state champ and national power Akron SVSM
Athens put on one of the greatest state finals ever. College players all over the field

No Logan team could have kept it close to Athens. But Logan was off playing D7 schools. Hats off to Jackson, Gallia, and Warren for playing Athens

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:19 pm
noreply66 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:09 pm With Athens poor defense there has been several teams in the SEO that would have held their offense down and beat the Bulldogs.

No Logan team could have kept it close to Athens.
Who's not toooo bright? No Logan team? Your full of crapola Raider. I know of 4 Logan teams that would have given "the great Athens team" all they wanted. See ya Sept 29 buddy, history will probably repeat itself again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Valley actually made it in 2014, not 2011*.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: Which County has the best overall footballqs

Post by Poo Bear »

You're not very bright
Athens scored the most points in 50 years at Steubenville. Could have had the record. Steubenville a state team
Athens was up 52-14 at half on a Zanesville team that went to state 2 out of three years
Athens rolled the best defense in Ohio Tri Valley. I think they gave up like 2 points a game
Athens gave Desales its worst playoff loss in school history. Their QB went to Michigan State
Athens defense beat the two time defending state champ and national power Akron SVSM
Athens put on one of the greatest state finals ever. College players all over the field

No Logan team could have kept it close to Athens. But Logan was off playing D7 schools. Hats off to Jackson, Gallia, and Warren for playing Athens

Oh snap !
I don't like it but I have to agree with raider . That offense was the best ever in southern Ohio. Sorry Jusy way it is . Jackson was very good in 2014 and wouldn't been rolled just the same .

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Last year Washington County had 2 regional runner ups.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 pm Who's not toooo bright? No Logan team? Your full of crapola Raider. I know of 4 Logan teams that would have given "the great Athens team" all they wanted. See ya Sept 29 buddy, history will probably repeat itself again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hopefully it's another good game

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

You're not very bright

The best over overall means year in and out...... not just a 2 year span.... Athens had 2 good years. Did they have probably one of the best offense in SEO history...... yes. The 25 years before and the years since that 1 team, Athens has been horrible on the field year in and out. Logan hasn't been much better but at least they have made the playoffs more then Athens. Lawrence and Scioto counties have had the football teams historically speaking.

AT THE RESERVATION
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

And one more thing raider. Until they produce a state title trophy they are not one of the best teams in SEO. Ironton, Burg and Nelsonville can, they have the hardware to prove it.

AT THE RESERVATION
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

for 40 years I'd have said Lawrence county when bob lutz coached the ironton fighting tigers. based on playoffs virtually every year. state final appearances,2 state titles, regional title semi finals, and like it or not still twice as many state titles as anyone in this part of the state.

but things are just not that way now. but what a ton of memories we have.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

You're not very bright

Athens had a good offense against poor teams over all in their division. The teams Logan had with the Conrad's would have beat Athens bad. Those team defense would have been all over Athens and shut them down. Athens would not have beable to score at will agains Logan. With Athens very low rated defense the Chiefs would have moved down the field at will. Taking our time and keeping Atown's offense off the field. Athens ran from the SEOAL league and away from Logan. Athens had to go to a smaller league to start winning again and then it took sometime. New coaches at OU bought them some good players to go with their one or two that they were use to having. Now that those coaches boys have graduated Atown is back to so so ball. They haven't been able to beat Logan at Logan's worst time. You get a couple good years and you think you are the greatest of all time. NY championship team would have hate Atown up. As I said before those team Atown beat were very bad that year. Very low rated division and out of all those boys that went to college the percentage was very low that they turned out good. They were taken because of the school name. Gallia and Warren were a joke and Jackson was down some what. Your above statement just doesn't hold water because you played a lot of big names that were having bad years. Athens has no football championships like other schools in SEO do,so you cannot say they were the best. Just because I say Logan could have beat Atown doesn't make them the best. And I never said they were like you saying Atown was. Just have been too many good team that would have pushed Atown off the field. After a couple good years it is crying time again in Atown.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I thought this thread was about best county, not individual high school? Seems as if it's taken on an Athens/Logan theme.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

That Athens team was great. Offensively maybe the best I have ever seen from south of Columbus. However If you go back and pick any bob lutz ironton team. I think you could find a couple that could play with them and if there is any coach that could have slowed Athens down it was lutz. I would pick the 78 or 82 teams to give em a game. Neither of those teams went to the playoffs. But ironton purists will argue they were two of the best ironton ever had

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:51 am
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 pm Who's not toooo bright? No Logan team? Your full of crapola Raider. I know of 4 Logan teams that would have given "the great Athens team" all they wanted. See ya Sept 29 buddy, history will probably repeat itself again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hopefully it's another good game
Agree, like to see a close game as well.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

talking about Playing a D7 school ...wonder when Atown played a school bigger than them?.....Wait it was Logan and they LOST LOL

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

noreply66 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm talking about Playing a D7 school ...wonder when Atown played a school bigger than them?.....Wait it was Logan and they LOST LOL
Can't really remember the years, But Logan had 4 teams and maybe more that could have hung around with the Athens great team.

1977 Scott Gasser year. Had a good offense. killer defense.

Penrods year. Good offense, killer defense.

Conrads years. Good offense, killer defense.

Angle year. Good offense, killer defense.

There are some other years that I think Logan could have hung with the Burrow Athens team as well imo.

Return to “Football”