The future of grass fields

ravensfan09
JV Team

Re: The future of grass fields

Post by ravensfan09 »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 am From my understanding, if schools set aside the same amount of money they spend for maintaining the field (labor, fuel, gas, mower maintenance, fertilizer, seed, water, paint, etc) they can easily afford the replacement of turf after its 10 year life. The major issue is the initial investment, but if you can get to that point, the turf basically pays for itself. I have heard the turf at Burg has already paid for itself after 7 seasons.
Thats interesting. I just saw where Massillon Washington is replacing their turf and it is costing over $400,000.

That would mean to have a turf field and it pay for itself in 7 year, schools would be spending an averages or over $57,000 per year on their grass fields. That would be an amazing study.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

ravensfan09 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 pm
4thgoal wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 am From my understanding, if schools set aside the same amount of money they spend for maintaining the field (labor, fuel, gas, mower maintenance, fertilizer, seed, water, paint, etc) they can easily afford the replacement of turf after its 10 year life. The major issue is the initial investment, but if you can get to that point, the turf basically pays for itself. I have heard the turf at Burg has already paid for itself after 7 seasons.
Thats interesting. I just saw where Massillon Washington is replacing their turf and it is costing over $400,000.

That would mean to have a turf field and it pay for itself in 7 year, schools would be spending an averages or over $57,000 per year on their grass fields. That would be an amazing study.
I’m not sure what the upkeep is at VC for our field but I would be pretty comfortable saying that it’s is nowhere near 57k a year. Lol maybe 3-4K? Maybe...

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:02 am

I’m not sure what the upkeep is at VC for our field but I would be pretty comfortable saying that it’s is nowhere near 57k a year. Lol maybe 3-4K? Maybe...
Thats what I would say....at most 10-15,000. Most schools couldn't afford $57,000 a year for field maintenance.

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

I wouldn't judge expenses on what Massillon does. They're not going to nickel and dime themselves or their booster club. If they want new turf, they're buying new turf. Whether it's due or not. They're also not going cheap.

A big part of the expense is what type of pattern or design you want. Everything is cut and sewn together. It's not painted. The more endzone or midfield designs you have, the more it costs. Massillon also had the old concrete turf for the longest time, I'm sure it's not as simple as the new turf field that convert from grass to the sand base for the turf.

Also, there is different types of turf with different ages, uses, etc. My HS basically existed where a swamp once was and the grass was always turning to mud. Turf switch over cost $600k. Replacement after ten years is listed at $300k.

As mentioned elsewhere, you also have to account for the fact you can use your primary stadium for so much more with turf. And you don't need to maintain other grass fields for games and practices as much or at all.

Also, the $40k/year maintenance for a grass field is if you a) count the mower as just exclusive for the field, while most schools mow their field with the same mower that handles the rest of the school grounds, b) actually keep it in great shape (most schools are woefully inadequate) and c) paint it well, which again most high schools don't.

Big difference.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Sykotyk wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:35 am

I wouldn't judge expenses on what Massillon does. They're not going to nickel and dime themselves or their booster club. If they want new turf, they're buying new turf. Whether it's due or not. They're also not going cheap.

A big part of the expense is what type of pattern or design you want. Everything is cut and sewn together. It's not painted. The more endzone or midfield designs you have, the more it costs. Massillon also had the old concrete turf for the longest time, I'm sure it's not as simple as the new turf field that convert from grass to the sand base for the turf.

Also, there is different types of turf with different ages, uses, etc. My HS basically existed where a swamp once was and the grass was always turning to mud. Turf switch over cost $600k. Replacement after ten years is listed at $300k.

As mentioned elsewhere, you also have to account for the fact you can use your primary stadium for so much more with turf. And you don't need to maintain other grass fields for games and practices as much or at all.

Also, the $40k/year maintenance for a grass field is if you a) count the mower as just exclusive for the field, while most schools mow their field with the same mower that handles the rest of the school grounds, b) actually keep it in great shape (most schools are woefully inadequate) and c) paint it well, which again most high schools don't.

Big difference.
I get it that you can't judge off of Massillon, but still the numbers just dont add up. I wonder how mant MAC schools have turf? Coldwater? Marion Local? Fort Recovery? Saint Henry?

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

It looks like Ferndale doesn't have lights either.

Sykotyk
Waterboy

Post by Sykotyk »

one Oak wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:22 pm It looks like Ferndale doesn't have lights either.
Nope. Johnstown is an interesting city.

Inside most of the city, is "Greater Johnstown". The school is on the southside of the city. Ferndale is just east/southeast of the high school. Stadium is also right on the river. To the west GJ, up on top of the hill is Westmont Hilltop (they're not that creative in names). To the east/southeast of town, is Richland, but it's a bit ways out, and is a rather well off area. To the north is Connemaugh Valley, a poor, rural area skirting the north of the city. WH, Ferndale, CV, and GJ all have Johnstown addresses, though technically the three surrounding schools are outside the city limits. But their districts meander everywhere.

Westy (as they're called), Ferndale, and CV are all very small schools with unlit grass fields. Ferndale is a baseball/football hybride (football field is aligned down the left field line, with the endzone cutting into about the pitchers mound). Richland has turf and really nice. GJ has turf and a huge stadium.

The area really only needs 2, maybe 3 schools. But, that's not how PA rolls.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 am Northwest will be getting turf this off season. I think the turf company is going to wait until spring to start on the field.
The athletic facility will be started in the next few weeks.
This building will house weight room, locker rooms for football ,soccer and cross country. There will also be 30 yards of indoor turf along with batting cages in this building.
Its so wet...it would be great if they did wait. Spending that much money...you want everything to be perfect. It might take a little longer, but time should not be a factor here.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

toast wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:41 am Toast, I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens that soon at Piketon. That’s only 7 months away, now in the near future I think it will be done, plus other athletic and the arts upgrades! You can’t go wrong with permanent improvements to a school.
I kinda thought they were hoping to have turf by next season. But you would have a better idea on that than I would. It will be a nice upgrade that most are looking forward to.
It appears this will be the case, looking at installed a ready for home opener this season. Exciting times here in Piketon.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

king kong wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:36 pm
toast wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:41 am Toast, I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens that soon at Piketon. That’s only 7 months away, now in the near future I think it will be done, plus other athletic and the arts upgrades! You can’t go wrong with permanent improvements to a school.
I kinda thought they were hoping to have turf by next season. But you would have a better idea on that than I would. It will be a nice upgrade that most are looking forward to.
It appears this will be the case, looking at installed a ready for home opener this season. Exciting times here in Piketon.
Great news for Piketon High School!! I heard it would be ready by the first home game, providing this rain stops.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Minford is looking to break ground and be ready for the upcoming season.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Piketon and Paint Valley to have turf this season.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

mglight88 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm Minford is looking to break ground and be ready for the upcoming season.
Is Minford switching to turf?

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

That is the plan. Ground breaking ceremony is in May with completion before season starts. They were handing out flyers during basketball season. It will have soccer lines as well. I'm excited!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia Academy will have to wait to field is moved where field is in flood plain you could get basically nothing permitted to do there now.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

bfry wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:27 pm Process has begun at Northwest. Old concession torn down.CE109442-B498-4486-A9EE-8C5BD9EA442A.jpeg
I don’t know why they are spending that kind of money. They only win a couple games a yr. they need find a coach and keep their players there instead of transferring

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:22 pm
mglight88 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm Minford is looking to break ground and be ready for the upcoming season.
Is Minford switching to turf?
That is their plans. They are fund raising. Last I heard they were almost half way there

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 pm
bfry wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:27 pm Process has begun at Northwest. Old concession torn down.CE109442-B498-4486-A9EE-8C5BD9EA442A.jpeg
I don’t know why they are spending that kind of money. They only win a couple games a yr. they need find a coach and keep their players there instead of transferring
Because our kids deserve a top notch, updated facility as much as anyone else. God Bless.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

bfry wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:19 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 pm
Because our kids deserve a top notch, updated facility as much as anyone else. God Bless.
Yes the kids do deserve a top notch facility. It will be so nice to have some room. And a nice facility.

pearson
Waterboy

Post by pearson »

I've seen Piketon's new field, any pictures of Northwest's or Green's?

Return to “Football”