2019 Wheelersburg Pirates

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Re: 2019 Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by spider2Ybanana »

fbnut wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:33 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm
fbnut wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:32 pm
When’s the last time you remember the burg starting qb playing anything but safety or corner and that’s if they played D at all. Physically he won’t be able to take the pounding because if he is the qb he is going to be in on every snap and he will be carrying the ball a lot. He plays inside or outside he going to have a lot of contact on every snap. If he plays rb you can at least get him off the feild for a breather for a few plays or series.
Lang and schank both played outside linebacker. I’m sure they’d love to have the luxury of not using him but they’re going to go with their best option.
Shank was only a qb during his sophomore year and he didn’t play backer. He was a rb his junior and senior year and I don’t think he moved to backer until the Minford game his senior year. That was only because they had to, that team couldn’t stop anyone running the ball. Lang May have been a monster back, I can’t remember but his team was loaded. Horsley and Mathews are going to be asked to do a lot on offense.
You are right about Schankweiler. Lang played outside backer/monster his sophomore year. If I remember correctly, he played monster is senior year but moved inside later in the year and Shank played the monster. Those teams were loaded with talent at the top, but lacked depth. Not to mention they were still running the ball 80% of the time. Imagine if the current offensive schemes would have been in place then....talk about an explosive offense.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I would like to say congrats to the Burg community and to Burg graduate Dr. Drew Burleson for being named the Cincinnati Reds team Doctor. What a awesome accomplishment.
I know this is a football thread but Wow.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:41 pm I would like to say congrats to the Burg community and to Burg graduate Dr. Drew Burleson for being named the Cincinnati Reds team Doctor. What a awesome accomplishment.
I know this is a football thread but Wow.
Wow. I wonder where you could find a story about it

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Not a lot of talk or news coming out of Burg land lately.
I did see that Blake Richardson (So.) won his weight class at the state lifting meet in Kenton a couple weeks ago. I look for him to be a force on the O and D lines this year. He had a really good year last year but he seems to have been hitting the weight room even harder. Congratulations big fella!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am Not a lot of talk or news coming out of Burg land lately.
I did see that Blake Richardson (So.) won his weight class at the state lifting meet in Kenton a couple weeks ago. I look for him to be a force on the O and D lines this year. He had a really good year last year but he seems to have been hitting the weight room even harder. Congratulations big fella!
Burg fans are cautiously waiting. Lol. They know not to come out and brag about themselves when new positions are being filled. But to reply to your post. I’m hearing really good things for this season.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:07 am
spider2Ybanana wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am Not a lot of talk or news coming out of Burg land lately.
Burg fans are cautiously waiting. Lol. They know not to come out and brag about themselves when new positions are being filled. But to reply to your post. I’m hearing really good things for this season.
I agree woby. A lot of new faces will hit the field next year but I too have heard nothing but good things from the offseason. The "star power" may not be there as it has the past few years but there is a stable of talent waiting to get their opportunity.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:35 am
wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:07 am
I agree woby. A lot of new faces will hit the field next year but I too have heard nothing but good things from the offseason. The "star power" may not be there as it has the past few years but there is a stable of talent waiting to get their opportunity.
There’s more talent there than others might think. This will be a very fast team. Not as big but really quick

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Replacing Holden and Matthews at receiver will be tough as I hear Matthews will be playing tailback this year. Burg will be extremely talented, even after graduating all that they did. I would even consider them to be, quite easily, one of the regional favorites. They will be unproven and untested, but still talented. The only concern I would have is replacing Donini and J. Salyers at OLB/SS and maybe the secondary in general. The defense won't be as big or strong in the secondary but they will have the same speed, if not faster. I would also consider moving Horsley back to OLB as the two middle linebackers can be filled by up and coming juniors and seniors. There's a lot more depth and experience in the middle than there is on the outside, in my opinion.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

It’s the burg. They aren’t gonna rebuild they reload. I would highly suggest to never take this coach and program lightly or they will make you pay dearly for it. Take it to the bank that coach andy Hall and the Ironmen aren’t looking at their schedule saying “welp burgs down no need to put extra work in today” And that game will be a slobber knocker. Just as the ironton game and all the other 8games. Those kids sitting the last few years have tasted victory that very few ever get to. They’ll know what it takes to get there.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I was thinkin about this the other day. I wonder if this team has the makings of a Regional championship team? That thought its self really shows the improvement of Wheelersburg football over the past decade. Wheelersburg is now judged on Regional titles, and it seems that any year that this doesn't happen is a "down year." This is a true testament to the coaching staff and the time put in from the kids in the offseason. Does this increase the pressure on teams year in and year out? Of course, but this is the BEST kind of pressure. This kind of pressure means kids are playing meaningful games. Championship games. And I don't see this changing anytime soon.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

D20 yes

D19 probably not this year. That region is stacked!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:49 pm D20 yes

D19 probably not this year. That region is stacked!
Always an interesting time of the year. See what region everyone plays in. If Kirtland is D5, I can’t see any D5 school ever giving them a game.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Are there any Freshman (Sophomores next year) that might be able to contribute on either side of the ball? Special Teams?

footballfan2222
Waterboy

Post by footballfan2222 »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 am Are there any Freshman (Sophomores next year) that might be able to contribute on either side of the ball? Special Teams?
Yes, I´d say a few play on offense more play on the defensive side of the ball, and they have a fantastic kicker.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Just heard some interesting news from the weight room that tells alot about what kind of work the Burg kids put in. The in coming Freshmen (current 8th graders) have 22 kids lifting everyday. Of those kids 20 also play baseball or run track. 3 actually lift, run track and play baseball! That is commitment!

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Blitz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:49 pm Just heard some interesting news from the weight room that tells alot about what kind of work the Burg kids put in. The in coming Freshmen (current 8th graders) have 22 kids lifting everyday. Of those kids 20 also play baseball or run track. 3 actually lift, run track and play baseball! That is commitment!
I heard there were some talented kids in that class. Sounds like the work ethic is there too.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Is burg gonna be D6 this season or are they gonna stay D5

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 pm Is burg gonna be D6 this season or are they gonna stay D5
D-5

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 pm Is burg gonna be D6 this season or are they gonna stay D5
They are going to be a lot closer to D4 than D6.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:05 am
They are going to be a lot closer to D4 than D6.
This. However they will be down compared to last year as far as competitive balance

Return to “Football”