Post by mattash »

Thoughts?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: WK1 Gallia Academy @ Meigs

Post by noreply66 »

Going to be interesting to see how Gallia starts off. Good luck to the French City.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

Sound like the Cinn. Reds rebuilding ! LOL But they are ! Good Luck !

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Meigs should win

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

I just don't see Gallia being able to pull this one out, but Penrod may make this one closer than some people think.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

If Meigs don't win this one It will be a long season for them

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

george wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:54 am If Meigs don't win this one It will be a long season for them
Big rivalry game that I'm glad to see played. With Meigs schedule, I will agree this one is big for their season.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I know nothing about what meigs has coming back but doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter out of them.

Really need to wait until after jamboree game to get better feel for what my blue Devils have to offer.

A scrimmage practice with Athens and preview against south point makes me still questioning where this team at. What I know is this team is light years ahead of the last 3 at this time of year..

They have been so horrible though it is hard to tell how much improved they are.

Things that I am sure has improved. QB should have less then 100 rushing attempts in season. QB should probably be able to only have 200 to 300 pass attempts this year.

This team should turn the ball over 15 to 20 less times this year.

Defensively this team should be on field a lot less and have a game plan that reflects the fact there lines will be out weighed on average 300 lbs a game..

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Meigs by several scores.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

xyz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:10 pm
Dandy Don wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 am I just don't see Gallia being able to pull this one out, but Penrod may make this one closer than some people think.
Penrod? I'm sure his recruits will have an impact on the game.
Hard to keep them from Point Plesant. They start out with defending state champ Mingo Central. Their QB is really good

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

tvc_fan wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:04 pm Meigs by several scores.
I think Meigs a big favorite here but i will be shocked if this is by more then 10 to 14 points.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

Dandy Don wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 am I just don't see Gallia being able to pull this one out, but Penrod may make this one closer than some people think.
We need to see if he is the Penrod who took 23 seniors to the playoffs in 2015 or the Penrod who had a very bad season last year? Taking 23 seniors and going to the playoffs in a league that had it's perennial 2 best teams Athens and Ny heve the worst season they had in a long time. I think we will know if he is the savior that most of you say he is after week 2 or 3. Imho .500 is a good coaching job at GA this year.

Stone Cold
JV Team

Post by Stone Cold »

bevo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:42 pm
We need to see if he is the Penrod who took 23 seniors to the playoffs in 2015 or the Penrod who had a very bad season last year? Taking 23 seniors and going to the playoffs in a league that had it's perennial 2 best teams Athens and Ny heve the worst season they had in a long time. I think we will know if he is the savior that most of you say he is after week 2 or 3. Imho .500 is a good coaching job at GA this year.
It takes good coaching to do what he did with alexander a few years ago. Yes it's easier with 23 sr's but you STILL have to coach them up. You act like this is college and these high school coaches get to choose the kids coming up through the program. Give the guy some credit. I would say if he has some talent at GAHS, he will do fine. If not, hopefully the kids play hard every week.

And that's the bottom line, b/c Stone Cold said so....
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

bevo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:42 pm
bevo -

You conveniently ignore the 2014 season when he took a team that had gone 0-10 and went 5-5. Beat one playoff team and lost to Trimble, Athens and NY who all made the playoffs. (Unioto was 8-2 and missed the playoffs as well).

23 seniors or not, the 2015 Spartans beat Athens, NY, Trimble, and Federal Hocking - becoming the first team since 1991 to beat all four Athens County rivals. This is at a school that had ONE WIN EVER against N-Y. Don't care how "down" Athens and N-Y were, that's gettin' it done. Even won a playoff game.

Is he a savior? That's asking a lot. Is he flat out a great coach? Absolutely. .500 is probably optimistic from a team that is 2-18 the last two seasons. But I think no matter what the record shows GAHS will be a MUCH MUCH better football team.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I understand only 3 scrimmages maybe only one will end up being a quality team but we will see. This team is way ahead of any team the last 3 years but that is not saying a lot.

I am cautiously optimistic they have improved all 3 times I have saw them. Because this team can run and eat up clock they will be much more competitive. Passing game will be much more effective and this team a ton more physical.. tonight only 5 pass plays in a half for 40 yards one TD. About 180 on ground.

Tonight offense puts up 25 in a half. Cody call zero touches, Jacob Campbell no touches, Garrett burns only 2 touches. Gallia has had players break away and run away from defenders in all 3 scrimages. The Armstrong kids has real wheels. Like a 60 yard touchdown run against south point called back and tonight like a 42 yard one called back. I think this team may need to win there first 2 to get to .500. They may be able to there by getting one of them.

A couple of big things accomplished attitudes are way different. And blue Devils probably had more people to the jamboree game then they have had travel in years except for the to road games at meigs and river valley 2 years ago.

There lines will probably be outweighed by 250 to 350 lbs 9 of the 10 weeks. So I am cautiously optimistic

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

I am all for being positive and giving credit having 23 seniors is a blessing you may never have again. alexander and Gallia academy a little bit different but a good coach is a good coach so he got his shot. the ovc isn't exactly a juggernaut so if penrod is competitive and then figure out how to get over the hump would be uplifting for everybody. locos I hope he ends up a great one he has some more work to do to be considered great may our SEOAL BLOOD flow through our veins for many years. I wish the former purple alum all the luck in the world GO BLUE

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Well meigs should have the Blue Devils well scouted. One coach at Athens scrimmage. 2 at the preview , and 4 last night at Unioto. Still think Meigs is the favorite as Blue devils still have to prove they can win in a actual game but this team very difference then last few years.

II really like this new offense. I am sure this is probably close to what they ran at alexander i do not know. But i feel like 75% of snaps like a very safe quadruple option. slot receiver or wing back comes in motion a lot. He sometimes takes direct snap. then he either runs a end around or he hands the ball to other back for a kind of counter play. or snaps come to Qb he does the little shuttle pass to back in motion and the same options come from that. or qb fakes that shuttle pass and hands to the inside back or fakes that play and runs a Qb draw. or he fakes that and has the motion back on kind of a wheel route receivers on backside running a go route and a post pattern or that back that was faked to on a crossing route under the linebackers that were cleared by the deep other pass routes.

other plays are mainly ISO power or empty backfield. Lineman doing a great job sealing off running lanes.

Defense where they are undersigned basically running a 5-2 or sometimes even 7 man front. has really improved run defense and defensive backs have done a great job on back end will be curious if they can defend that well all year.

Meigs is still the favorite i will call it meigs 27 blue devils 19. But would not be shocked if Blue devils squeaked this out.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

The Blue Devils are really physical. I'm telling you, don't count them out. They are going to punch Meigs right in the mouth. This'll be a good one.

Bald Eagle
Waterboy

Post by Bald Eagle »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:52 am The Blue Devils are really physical. I'm telling you, don't count them out. They are going to punch Meigs right in the mouth. This'll be a good one.
If anyone would know physical play it would be you with all the times we whipped your arse when we was in school

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

But Meigs has "The Preacher" had the helm lol. They may not win many but at least he will have them at church befor each game and that's all that matters to him !

Return to “Football”