2018 OHSAA State Final Football Games Attendance Down

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Re: 2018 OHSAA State Final Football Games Attendance Down

Post by ArmChairQB »

E High wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:45 am Said it before , regular season should start 2 weeks early. Teams are practicing last May. No reason for season to go into December in Ohio. Also, really like idea of playing finals at 3-4 different sites across the state each year. Traveling even 2 hours for fans not happening these days.
Teams are not practicing in May. The last week of July is when actuall coaching begins.
The season already starts in August. There’s no way they move that up.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

I went up and watch most of the games would have watch them all but it was $17.00 a game there. Thats a big increase over last year and it was not posted that it would be that much on game day. Heard lot's of people crying about it too. It will be my last time ever going up there again. Bring it back to the middle of the state and leave it there.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

ArmChairQB wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 am
E High wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:45 am Said it before , regular season should start 2 weeks early. Teams are practicing last May. No reason for season to go into December in Ohio. Also, really like idea of playing finals at 3-4 different sites across the state each year. Traveling even 2 hours for fans not happening these days.
Teams are not practicing in May. The last week of July is when actuall coaching begins.
The season already starts in August. There’s no way they move that up.
Maybe one week earlier would work? Teams play the “preseason” jamboree game a week before the official start of the season. They could do away with the jamboree game and just have normal scrimmages prior to week 1. I think it’s fine the way it is though.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I am all for starting the regular season, the first Thursday in Aug.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I watched them all in the comfort of my own home. though I'd have loved to have seen them all in person, finances and mobility issues just won't allow it. but I'm glad everybody seems to agree, that the games shouldn't be in the farthest neverreaches of ohio just because of the friendly location to the hall of fame. I see a dramatic switch in poster's responses this time from the last time we had this conversation. 17.00 a game is ridiculous in my opinion. but at least if it was at ohio state. it's the same amount of a drive for everyone. as Columbus is central to everyone. in the most awesome location in the united states. right where the buckeyes play. and let's face it. probably 90 percent of high school players in ohio dream of playing. who cares how full or empty the stadium looks. it's a fair drive for everyone. I used to go to them a lot myself in years past. but those were different times for ole bait. financially and healthwise. I use to go to a ton of buckeyes and bengals games as well. I love the ideas of rotating them. Athens, Columbus, cincy. neo ohioans would go apecrap if you put them in cincy. maybe then, they would understand the dilemma. the attendance at them was paltry at best. I saw how few were there other than the d2 game as well. lower ticket prices to 10 or 12 dollars a game. and put them in Columbus and attendance will rise. and people can drive home conveniently enough if they wish. I love all the responses I'm reading here actually. and anybody that is a regular here knows this topic has done a 180 in general from the last one that was similar about this topic.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

and like a poster said. mattash, as stated could share posts from this topic to ohsaa and really let them get a true heartbeat about how fans from other parts of the state feel. you as a coach or school want a field trip for the kids, then load them up. take them to the hall of fame, and maybe cedar point. but as a mandatory location of the state finals, it's lost it's luster.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

With the crowds so small, they could put these games at two locations in Central, Ohio and have no problems.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 pm Looks like it needs to be back in a more central location which is the shoe
Attendance was decline there as well.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Otto wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 pm Went to the game Saturday to see the Johnstown/Orrville game. Rained all day. Wasn't allowed to bring my umbrella into the stadium though. Reason I was given by staff was that it "could be used as a weapon". Is this a normal thing at HS games or just a HOF stadium thing? Have to say it caught me by surprise, things get sillier every year it seems.
Tom Benson Stadium is an NFL venue and all NFL stadium rules apply.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Columbus is the centralized city for the entire state if OSHAA insists on it being held in one location year in and year out. But the rotating location idea is very good. I’d have to hear some pretty good points to believe it’s not a great idea.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Are football and softball the only State Finals that aren’t held in Columbus every year?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 pm Are football and softball the only State Finals that aren’t held in Columbus every year?
Cross country - Hebron (old National Trails speedway site)
Tennis - Cincinnati (indoor) Mason (outdoor)
Volleyball - Dayton (Wright St)
Swimming - Canton McKinley
Lacrosse - Delaware (Ohio Wesleyan)

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

With the transforming of the Canton Pro Football Staduim to now a Disneyland type environment by the summer of 2019 and more to come for 2020 will OSHAA ever leave NEO?

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Live attendance is down for just about everything - from church attendance to MLB. I can't imagine why high school football would be any different.

GAHS7481
Waterboy

Post by GAHS7481 »

Columbus enough said

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

GAHS7481 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:18 pm Columbus enough said
Makes too much sense.

I got the ticket, let's move championship weekend a week further into December and keep the games in the coldest part of the state.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Stark county will never let the games be moved out of Canton. Did you see the grandstand at the fairgrounds? You think they are going to lose that money coming from parking!!!

Someone in Canton has to be greasing some palms for the games to continue to be there. No rhyme or reason for them to not be in Columbus. Mapre would be a great spot. Plenty of seating and parking and it’s two hours away for everyone. I was in Columbus on the Friday the finals were played. Had the games been in Columbus I probably would have taken a game in.

I know the Wheelersburg/Eastwood game set a record for attendance at the DV game last year but wonder how many more would have been there if the game had been at the shoe??

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

If they move the games back to Columbus, OSU may need to expand their stadium judging by all the folks on here who would be going.

KSW
Riding the Bench

Post by KSW »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 pm Are football and softball the only State Finals that aren’t held in Columbus every year?
Cross country - Hebron (old National Trails speedway site)
Tennis - Cincinnati (indoor) Mason (outdoor)
Volleyball - Dayton (Wright St)
Swimming - Canton McKinley
Lacrosse - Delaware (Ohio Wesleyan)
Softball is in Akron

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:10 pm If they move the games back to Columbus, OSU may need to expand their stadium judging by all the folks on here who would be going.
I think I've lost count of all the people who have said they would have gone to the games had it been in Columbus. But the truth would be, they would not have gone regardless. The excuses would just change to something like "it was too cold" or "gas prices went up". :lol:

Some people just like to have a reason to complain.

Return to “Football”