Burg vs. Portsmouth Future??

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Burg vs. Portsmouth

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I get the arguments and logic being made above regarding costs of attending games for poor people and what not, but you can look at Trimble and see that they go against every argument that has been made. Trimble is the poorest school district in the state and their fans travel well to away games every year and they are playing for a state championship this week.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

Burgball#1 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:22 pm If I can share some information with the posters on here, one of the most considerable things about the Burg is community support. If you talk and look at or to the people in the stands probably close to 75% of them don't have kids on the field, they are their to support the kids because of the community pride and support. I think that makes a big difference to the kids playing and the families of those kids along wih the coaches when they see how well we travel to support our kids who represent us.

I wish that all communities could have that because it's better for all of us to have that support for all the area kids.
Very good post ! I have never had a kid on the team but I go to every game and cheer Burg on and your right the community support is second to none in this area and the players thrive off that ! If I were in high school I would definitely want to play for burg. Being at Ed Miller stadium on a Friday night is awesome the atmosphere is incredible!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Trimble actual has less kids by percentage on free or reduced lunch at 76.91 percent. When Portsmouth has a great team they fill the stands and travel well as well, you bring our alumni and folks from other places, in those situations, plus those that are strapped for money are more likely to being willing to spend their money on a winner.
Look no farther then PHS basketball runs to the state a few years back.
Or Portsmouth football in the early 2000s.

also can someone tell me the percentage of Trimbles IEP and disabled students?
How many students do they have that transfer in or out?
What are the other local schools enrollment policies?

Again these factors, ARE NOT A GAURANTEE that a person, a district or a team will fail or succeed, these are merely statistics that support the fact that schools that are more affluent have an easier path to success, because of many factors that the wealth allows.

Prime Time
All State

Re: Burg vs. Portsmouth Future??

Post by Prime Time »

Trojan fb Your missing one most important reasons, family unit. Broken homes, no kinda of discipline , attitudes of who cares we will do what we want and most cases they do nothing and wait for free handouts which is prevalent everywhere for people that expect such services. It’s turned into a norm in most community’s.This in turn is passes to kids in these situations and that’s one reason you got the numbers you do.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Very true, it is a cycle that is very hard to break, but a small percentage continue to break it, which is very satisfing knowing that some do improve thier way of life.

It is troublesome however when open enrollment scavenges some of the families on the upper end though that can serve as positive examples for these students

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I bet in Wheelersburg the percentage of two parent homes is very higher than Portsmouth and theyre a interest shown in striving to be good at everything compared of the kids being on there own for most everything, Try to come up with percentages of two parent homes, one parent homes and kids that have no parent who is involved , see what you come up with and there is your answer.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Very much agree, and these are results of lack wealth. Or is symptom of it.
Just more examples of the it not being a level playing field for all.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I suppose we could all come up with 10 reasons or so that lead to success on the football field. Most people know it goes fall deeper than expectations, community support and work ethic.

Trojan FB brings some interesting stats to the table. Although you can always find exceptions; socioeconomics would be one of the top indicators. Lots of opportunities, advantages and positives come with wealth. State testing results have revealed the same thing for years. It's not a secret.

Community support would be near the bottom of my list. It's nice to have but I've seen private schools do very well with almost no community support to speak of. Support goes up when you win and down when you lose. All schools work hard. You're not going to gain too much of an advantage there.

By far the most important element needed to be successful is top quality athletes. If you don't a bunch of fast athletic kids the rest of the elements aren't going to matter too much. Of course you won't find any coaches saying that. Lol. But it is reality.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

The crazy thing about when Portsmouth dropped Burg, Portsmouth picked up I believe Galion and got throttled and Burg picked up Heath and throttled them.

Portsmouth dropped Burg because they got tired of getting throttled by Burg, so they could have stayed local and played Burg, might of been a blowout but wouldn’t have wasted all that time (3 hour bus ride) and all the money for fuel and to feed the kids.

Someone in Portsmouth didn’t think that one through.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Community support is a huge factor in success when it comes to teams in our area. The 2 most successful teams in our county is burg and probably valley. Both pack their home stadiums and travel really well. Even tho valley has not been that good last couple of years the crowds have not changed. One team we played this year had less than 20 people come to support their team. It’s hard for a team to go out and play hard when they don’t think anyone cares.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Burg vs Portsmouth Future - I say why not both.

I do sense some re-emergence in Trojan land here recently.

It would be something to have the Burg of present and the Trojans of old both be there in the future. Now that would be something to see for all fans.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Although, I was very against the idea of dropping Burg, I wouldn’t describe 23 points as a throttling, plus that was a one year deal this year the Trojans beat a very down river valley team.

Valley has good community support as well, and they also have the 2nd lowest number of kids in free or reduced lunch and the 2nd lowest number of IEP students in the county.

I believe we will see PHS burg again in the future and probably sooner then later, just have to work out scheduling from my understanding. Coach Kalb is going to do great at PHS, because he understands the demographics. The Trojans and Pirates I think would have been a more competitive game this year then many will admit. Trojans of old I think would have been too much for these burg teams. Personally I think those Pirate teams of the 90s are some of there better teams even though they didn’t get the championship.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 pm Very much agree, and these are results of lack wealth. Or is symptom of it.
The playing field is the same for everyone it's what you make out of it is what counts community coaches teachers parents etc... excuses in my book are just laziness!

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:34 am Burg vs Portsmouth Future - I say why not both.

I do sense some re-emergence in Trojan land here recently.

It would be something to have the Burg of present and the Trojans of old both be there in the future. Now that would be something to see for all fans.
Giving Burg the week back and they are using it for play g up in competition I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Best thing for P’rown would have been the SOC but they burned so many bridges here it just wouldn’t work.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

interesting take from Wheelersburg fans on Portsmouth dropping Wheelersburg. This coming from a fan base who’s “school” dodged Ironton for two decades in the 70’s and 80’s.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

85inside wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 am interesting take from Wheelersburg fans on Portsmouth dropping Wheelersburg. This coming from a fan base who’s “school” dodged Ironton for two decades in the 70’s and 80’s.
Burg avoided Portsmouth too for the most part. The reason was Portsmouth and ironton were both bigger schools compared to burg at the time. Currently they are not. There should be no reason why Portsmouth drop this game.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:10 pm [quote=Trojan_FB_Alum post_id=<a href="tel:1719192">1719192</a> time=<a href="tel:1543537693">1543537693</a> user_id=5538]
Very much agree, and these are results of lack wealth. Or is symptom of it.
The playing field is the same for everyone it's what you make out of it is what counts community coaches teachers parents etc... excuses in my book are just laziness!
[/quote]

The playing field is obviously not level I have clearly given statistics that prove that. I’m sure it is hard for a district like Burg to see that though.

These are not excuses, these are simply why a 7-3 record at a place like Portsmouth is a greater accomplishment then it is at a place like burg, because they have an easier road not having to fight against poverty and disability that other districts do.

These are not excuses

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Pa Trojan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:19 am promise you this, If this ever happens, we will have a high level of security on our sidelines
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:21 pm The 2016 census state the median incomes as
Portsmouth $27,769
Ironton $34,140
Wheelersburg $58,980
Lol if Delmas lived in Portsmouth or Aruntun. That would bump both! What’s up big D!

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Excuses

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

Return to “Football”