Coal grove coach Evan took boyd county head coaching job

Game day
All State

Re: Coal grove coach Evan took boyd county head coaching job

Post by Game day »

Hate to hear that they are looking for another coach. This does not help the OVC at all.

Mojo Bob
Waterboy

Post by Mojo Bob »

He said in an interview that “the news broke on social media before he could tell the team”. Man up and tell them, regardless they need to hear it from the HC. Doesn’t sound like the type of person I want leading my sons team anyway!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

This is not college football where the team gets together all the time. If he was hired on Tuesday school was out. So no time to get the team together during school. Some people are always looking to blame others than to really look into what is needed to change to improve the football program. The coach has moved on. He did not break his contract so he could go wherever he wants to. What Coal Grove needs to do is make it the best/good option for a coach. Which it is not close to that.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

farmer wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:04 am This is not college football where the team gets together all the time. If he was hired on Tuesday school was out. So no time to get the team together during school. Some people are always looking to blame others than to really look into what is needed to change to improve the football program. The coach has moved on. He did not break his contract so he could go wherever he wants to. What Coal Grove needs to do is make it the best/good option for a coach. Which it is not close to that.

School wasn’t out Tuesday. School was in session Tuesday. Find another excuse. I don’t care that he left the district. It’s how he left, tell your players first then make the move.
Hopefully the school acts fast and post the job. Can’t sit around and wait till spring like before.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Matt77 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:10 am
farmer wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:04 am This is not college football where the team gets together all the time. If he was hired on Tuesday school was out. So no time to get the team together during school. Some people are always looking to blame others than to really look into what is needed to change to improve the football program. The coach has moved on. He did not break his contract so he could go wherever he wants to. What Coal Grove needs to do is make it the best/good option for a coach. Which it is not close to that.

School wasn’t out Tuesday. School was in session Tuesday. Find another excuse.
If he was hired on Tuesday most school board meetings are held after school. This topic started at 9:42pm Tuesday night.
So you can find another excuse yourself. Which is part of the problem at Coal Grove is to keep blaming others when things do not go their way.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

This conversation is representative about how tough coaching is and why it’s so hard to get people to coach

On the one hand we expect a winning coach to show undying loyalty to the school.

On the other hand if he has a losing season we want to run his arse out of town on a rail

It used to be that the coach was a pillar of the community and the towns people took the good times with the bad

Today it’s a throw away society
Plastic bottles, TVs that aren’t worth fixing and fire that SOB if he ain’t winning.

It’s too bad. I have had the privilege of meeting many coaches. All were fine people. My guess is that if left alone they would deliver many good years when the talent was right and many life lessons when talent was lean. Today we over analyze it all and are to quick to rush to judgement with no real knowledge of what it really takes to run a program.

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

farmer wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am

If he was hired on Tuesday most school board meetings are held after school. This topic started at 9:42pm Tuesday night.
So you can find another excuse yourself. Which is part of the problem at Coal Grove is to keep blaming others when things do not go their way.
If he knew that it was a possibility on Tuesday then you give your team a heads up that this might be happening.

But that is in the past, he is gone and once again we are looking for a coach. The only problem is the community will never be 100% behind who they pick, there will always be one group upset that their choice wasn't hired. It's sad but the reality of the situatuon.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

There was just a lot of disappointment from these boys on Tuesday for that reason. But I agree, the past is in the past now. 2 trap 4 ever hit the nail on the head. Whoever they hire the some of the community will be against it. Some parents have already claimed their boys are going elsewhere. All I know is they have to get someone hired in soon because Ferguson brought his entire coaching staff with him. So will anyone be there to do powerlifting or after school lifting? Probably not.

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

Parents and players need to let the process play out before making a rash decision!

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

farmer wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am

First off I hate it for CG and the kids but they at least have a lot of time to look for a new coach. I do wish Coach Ferguson was still at CG but I do wish him the best as he did a great job at CG.
From what I understand he personally told the Super after school on Tuesday likely accepting the job the night before. This would make it impossible to tell the kids first. Being it leaked quickly on social media and at the Daily Independent it made it impossible to tell the kids first after Thanksgiving break. Yes the timing was rough and I am sure he would have liked to tell the kids first. That being said judge if you want and attack his character but I would prefer not to. While at CG he gave great energy and thankless time to the kids. Tireless energy coaching on the sidelines. Staying after each game until all kids left. Being accessible talking to parents outside the locker room and wanting more than anything to make CG a winner.
This year may not have been what we hoped but last year was unforgettable and that should be appreciated. Let's just be a CG community that supports our players, new staff and leadership during good and bad times and be a great example.
Good Luck to Coach Ferguson next year and to CGHS.
Go Big Grove!

Mojo Bob
Waterboy

Post by Mojo Bob »

Anyone who makes excuses for him is equally as clueless about how to handle this type of situation as he was! If you care enough you make time to tell the TEAM! No excuse for that.
Moving on. Are there any candidates that the administration is looking at?

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

very interested in seeing who may apply.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Matt77 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:03 pm There was just a lot of disappointment from these boys on Tuesday for that reason. But I agree, the past is in the past now. 2 trap 4 ever hit the nail on the head. Whoever they hire the some of the community will be against it. Some parents have already claimed their boys are going elsewhere. All I know is they have to get someone hired in soon because Ferguson brought his entire coaching staff with him. So will anyone be there to do powerlifting or after school lifting? Probably not.
From this post it sounds like Ironton is going to get some new recruits! Return of the Lawrence Co. All-Stars! :lol:

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

Otto wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:18 pm
Matt77 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:03 pm There was just a lot of disappointment from these boys on Tuesday for that reason. But I agree, the past is in the past now. 2 trap 4 ever hit the nail on the head. Whoever they hire the some of the community will be against it. Some parents have already claimed their boys are going elsewhere. All I know is they have to get someone hired in soon because Ferguson brought his entire coaching staff with him. So will anyone be there to do powerlifting or after school lifting? Probably not.
From this post it sounds like Ironton is going to get some new recruits! Return of the Lawrence Co. All-Stars! :lol:

From what I heard Ironton wasn’t mentioned 😂😂 other schools were though. We all know how that goes though. I’ll believe it when I see it.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Was this expected or just completely random?

Lay the Wood
Waterboy

Post by Lay the Wood »

Have no idea why anyone would leave a program like Coal Grove for Boyd County Ky. All I can say is, good luck coach. I guess he believes he can turn around a program that’s been a doormat forever. Maybe if they win a few games they’ll actually put a few bucks into that disaster of a field/stadium. I really liked how cg played last couple years. Just don’t get it.

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

Simple fact - he quit......quit on the kids, the community and the administration who gave him his first head coaching opportunity. I heard he said Coal Grove was his dream job. Let's hope for Boyd County's sake the dream lasts longer than 2 years. Great way to start building your resume Coach!

Mojo Bob
Waterboy

Post by Mojo Bob »

Boyd County cares 0 about football. Best of luck

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Lay the Wood wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:17 am Have no idea why anyone would leave a program like Coal Grove for Boyd County Ky. All I can say is, good luck coach. I guess he believes he can turn around a program that’s been a doormat forever. Maybe if they win a few games they’ll actually put a few bucks into that disaster of a field/stadium. I really liked how cg played last couple years. Just don’t get it.
I agree, going from Coal Grove to Boyd County kind of got me scratching my head. WOW....

Mojo Bob
Waterboy

Post by Mojo Bob »

As a parent with a son returning on the team next year I hope the school board will actually go after a quality coach and not just sit back and wait.

Return to “Football”