Final 4: Wheelersburg vs. Johnstown

Otto
JV Team

Re: Final 4: Wheelersburg vs. Johnstown

Post by Otto »

BurgGrad92 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:48 pm
Urban wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:15 pm
Whynot wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:10 pm Burg’s defense didn’t seam to slant the right direction all night. Must’ve been bad luck.
Absolutely amazing. Same team couldn't do anything last year runs allover them. Imagine that
Burg was just better last year. Better defense and better O line. This years team was good...but they weren’t the caliber of last years team.
Unfortunately this is true. They definitely got worse by losing guys like Carmichael, Parsley, and others. That 2017 Burg D was a run-stopping machine. No way would that D get run on like they did tonight.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Otto wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Absolutely amazing. Same team couldn't do anything last year runs allover them. Imagine that
Burg was just better last year. Better defense and better O line. This years team was good...but they weren’t the caliber of last years team.
Unfortunately this is true. They definitely got worse by losing guys like Carmichael, Parsley, and others. That 2017 Burg D was a run-stopping machine. No way would that D get run on like they did tonight.
Very true but burg had a great season. Regional champs/soc champs.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:54 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:53 pm

It's hard to replicate especially when the target is placed square on your back to start the year and gets bigger with each playoff win. Hoping the Johnnies don't have a lull because this was such a big win, makes me wonder about how ready burg was given everything they put into the Madison game.
I think Johnstown speed was the difference
Oh definitely, Johnnies running plays so quick gave burg no time to shift or read formation clearly. Cuts down on the ability to do stunts as well just running plays so quick and the speed in which they hit they hole.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:57 pm

It's hard to replicate especially when the target is placed square on your back to start the year and gets bigger with each playoff win. Hoping the Johnnies don't have a lull because this was such a big win, makes me wonder about how ready burg was given everything they put into the Madison game.
Oh definitely, Johnnies running plays so quick gave burg no time to shift or read formation clearly. Cuts down on the ability to do stunts as well just running plays so quick and the speed in which they hit they hole.
Right and someone eluded to the fact of last years d line. They were able to negate the initial push.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Wheelersburg has excellent team speed. That isn't the reason. You have 2 and 29 and only score 2 touchdowns? That shouldn't happen. Going back to the first round game last year their offense struggles when the other team has athletes. They take advantage of local teams because they don't have the speed or skill to play those 2 in space. But going back to last year, the good teams they beat by defense

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Boys I’m out. Haters will always hate. Great season by the pirates. Good job by the Johnnies.

BurgGrad92
Waterboy

Post by BurgGrad92 »

bleed_blue wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:54 pm

I actually think this years Oline was better than last but the big difference was the D line and the loss of Carmichael but Burg fans knew those were going to be holes that needed to be filled to have a chance at back to back titles.
Yes, and it seemed they were lacking leadership at times. Someone that could rally the team when they were flat. I do think Burg got caught looking ahead to next week and put too much focus on last week’s game possibly? I never knew The coaching staff to allow so much pomp and circumadtance around a game (community pep rally). It was awesome, but It wasn’t typical business as usual attitude I’ve seen in the past

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:57 pm

I've wondered for a long time with the way they move their front, why more teams don't just run to the line and go more on 1st sound.

Wheelersburg always struggled with Lutz and Ironton because the straight ahead style with few pulls takes the penetration and big plays away

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

WOW!!!!

Lot of childish comments on here. Let’s sound the trumpets Burg lost a football game to a better team tonight. Hope JM goes on and wins it all. Would be well deserving.

Urban, you need anger management classes. You are just ate up with hate of the Burg and I’m guessing you’ve played on a team Burg has beaten a lot over the years. Let it go! It’s Christmas! Let go of the hate!

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

A loss always brings the jerks out of the woodwork. Nobody can be as cool or smart as they are.

But you know what happens tomorrow? The sun comes up over Wheelersburg just like always and we start getting ready for basketball season. I think our first game is about 2 weeks away.

As for you Johnstown, great great game tonight!! You guys dominated in all facets of the game. You made us feel probably like you did a year ago. I wish you the best of luck on Saturday and hope you bring home a state title. I for one will be at home watching on tv and cheering you on. Hopefully we will meet again next year with different results.

Great season Pirates!! You treated me to 17 weeks of football including the three scrimmages. How many teams can say that? Pirate Seniors...awesome career!!! Take what you have learned and accomplished over the years and apply it to your next phase in life. We are all proud of you tonight just like we were yesterday. For those returning next season, take this defeat and how it makes you feel. Remember that feeling in the off season as you begin work on next year. Oh yes, you will be back. Another year wiser and stronger. As always...GO BURG!!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

85yards wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 pm We all now see what happens when Burg can’t sneak one of their assistant coaches in on the opposing teams sideline as a “Media staff member.” The Burg just about got a running clock out on them. What a bunch of fraudsters!

What a COS!!! He wasn’t over there the whole game so what is your rational for how Burg dominated MM for 46 minutes of that game!!!

Burg has had very few running clocks put on them. How many has Ironton had put on them??

Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

There was never a running clock in this game... great job Johnstown and good luck at state!! Ty to all the players, fans and coaches for another fun season!!! Lookin forwArd to next year!! There’s a lot of young players coming up!!

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:14 am
85yards wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 pm We all now see what happens when Burg can’t sneak one of their assistant coaches in on the opposing teams sideline as a “Media staff member.” The Burg just about got a running clock out on them. What a bunch of fraudsters!

What a COS!!! He wasn’t over there the whole game so what is your rational for how Burg dominated MM for 46 minutes of that game!!!

Burg has had very few running clocks put on them. How many has Ironton had put on them??
Wheelersburg has had 1 (Coldwater 2015)

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

BurgGrad92 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:03 am

I actually think this years Oline was better than last but the big difference was the D line and the loss of Carmichael but Burg fans knew those were going to be holes that needed to be filled to have a chance at back to back titles.
Yes, and it seemed they were lacking leadership at times. Someone that could rally the team when they were flat. I do think Burg got caught looking ahead to next week and put too much focus on last week’s game possibly? I never knew The coaching staff to allow so much pomp and circumadtance around a game (community pep rally). It was awesome, but It wasn’t typical business as usual attitude I’ve seen in the past
Yea maybe but I think Johnstown was just that good tonight but on to next season. Wheelersburg has plenty coming up through the ranks.

Hylander
JV Team

Post by Hylander »

bleed_blue wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:31 am

What about Hartley?

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Hylander wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 am

What about Hartley?
Yea I think but not til very late in that game but Coldwater was a true running clock if that makes sense haha

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Bishop Hartley 2018, anyone?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

55buckeyes98 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:46 pm How many Senior starters does Johnstown have on each side of the ball?

Good luck, bring a State Championship to Region 19 (the weakest in D5 according to some :) )
Offense: 7
Defense:5

Johnstown has been a two platoon system hiatorically. this is first time in a long time maybe since their d coordinator played rb/lb in 2002 that a player has played the whole season both ways... sophomore #32 Jake Lusk TE/DE
Thanks for the info, good luck next week in Canton, we’ll be rooting for you all.

Laettner92
Waterboy

Post by Laettner92 »

For all the haters from Madison on here. The Johnniies would’ve beat you worse! That teams for real. Very well disciplined and fast. They’ll be State champs if they stick with what they do. And for Wheelersburg, they just got out coached.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

BurgGrad92 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:03 am

I said that several times this season when it came to leadership. I thought last year’s team had that while this year, outside of Dahm, I hadn’t seen it. I think it showed up last night.

Wheelersburg had a great season but they were flat bullied at the LOS tonight. I will never outright question a coaching staff for gameplans. They watch the film and know their teams. But I wonder why Wheelersburg went deep to Holden on the first play but never again? Seemed like he had an advantage on the perimeter.

Return to “Football”