SOC I in trouble?

Tartanblue
SEO

SOC I in trouble?

Post by Tartanblue »

Could the SOC I be in trouble? Within a week it has been mentioned that Notre Dame was looking at not having football but will instead try to play a full varsity schedule, Green is said it looks like it may have trouble this year with low numbers. Along with seeing rumors on here that Oak Hill and/or Northwest we're rumored to move to the SOC II.

Could we be looking at the possibility of the SOC I falling apart in football?

GoIrish
JV Team

Re: SOC I in trouble?

Post by GoIrish »

Manchester is slated to join in 2018, if I'm not mistaken. And Western will have varsity football in a matter of a few years. It sounds like ND is having a low year this year, but has plenty of junior high numbers.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Add south gallia & the tvc hocking can go back to an even amount of teams.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

Green had 18 today better numbers than the past

SOC 1
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

High school football will face survival challenges going forward. Cost and the associated problems with a rural economy will eat away at programs. Numbers will suffer due to dwindling population. Throw in the 800 pound gorilla of traumatic brain injury risks, and you could see high school ball disappearing. Small school programs will be hit first and hardest.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:51 am Add south gallia & the tvc hocking can go back to an even amount of teams.
You know the TVC could expand to get even numbers lol I suggest Fort Frye to the Hocking, and then South Gallia, Wahama, Eastern, Southern, and Federal Hocking (all along or close to OH-7) can be in its own division while Belpre, Fort Frye, Miller, Trimble, and Waterford can be in the other division, at least for all other sports. Round robin could remain a solid option for football. Besides, if Western is adding football and Manchester is joining football only, I'd look to see Oak Hill move up to SOC II to make 8 football schools for SOC I, and 6 football schools for SOC II; even numbers.

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

Understanding everyone's concerns how about this idea. Join the SOC and OVC together and create a large and small division. Could this help scheduling and competitive balance?

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

CGFAN#1 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 pm Understanding everyone's concerns how about this idea. Join the SOC and OVC together and create a large and small division. Could this help scheduling and competitive balance?
Southern Ohio Valley Conference
Football
SOC I:
1. East
2. Eastern-Pike
3. Green
4. Notre Dame
5. Symmes Valley
6. Western-Pike (if they add football) and/or Manchester* (football-only)

SOC II:
1. Minford
2. Northwest (Moved from SOC I)
3. Oak Hill (Moved from SOC I)
4. Valley
5. Waverly
6. West
7. Wheelersburg
OVC:
1. Chesapeake
2. Dawson-Bryant
3. Fairland
4. Ironton
5. Portsmouth
6. Rock Hill
7. South Point

Baseball, Basketball, Softball, Volleyball
SOC I:
1. Clay
2. East
3. Eastern Pike
4. Green
5. Ironton St. Joe
6. New Boston
7. Notre Dame
8. South Webster
9. Symmes Valley
10. Western Pike

SOC II:
1. Minford
2. Northwest
3. Oak Hill
4. Valley
5. Waverly
6. West
7. Wheelersburg
OVC:
1. Chesapeake
2. Dawson-Bryant
3. Fairland
4. Ironton
5. Portsmouth
6. Rock Hill
7. South Point

This was my plan from a few years back and updated it a little. It would require a new league that replaces Gallia Academy with Ironton St. Joe and maybe adds Manchester for football-only if Western doesn't add football and/or if Manchester isn't apart of another football league such as if the SHAC sponsors football for a 6 team league (I think 6 schools now have some sort of football).

Scheduling:
SOC I is simple: Round Robin in Football for 5 or 6 games; Double-Round Robin in the other sports for 18 games.
OVC/SOC II: Plays their division, 1 protected rival (below), and 2 opposite division teams in football for 9 games; plays their division twice, and opposite division once in other sports for 19 games.

I would also like to see the larger schools help by scheduling a game or two non-conference for the smaller schools. I do understand that for football, Waverly will use it's 1 non-conference game for Piketon, and Oak Hill will hopefully use it for Wellston to play a county rivalry, and would be acceptable. This will primarily be for the larger Lawrence and Scioto County schools, specifically football. For other sports, it shouldn't be as much as a problem I would hope.

OVC-SOC II Protected Rivals (at least for football):
1. Chesapeake-Minford
2. Dawson Bryant-Valley
3. Fairland-Waverly
4. Ironton-Burg
5. Portsmouth-West
6. Rock Hill-Oak Hill
7. South Point-Northwest

Football fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Football fan »

NW has been discussing ending their football program and oak hill and NW are both to soft for SOC II but something has to give when western adds football but everything depends on western notre dame and green Manchester isn't joining the SOC Manchester should stay put with west union seamen eastern brown and peebles all having football they would dominate

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Does Ohio have 8 man football? If the small schools, which it appears SEO have plenty, perhaps an option would be 8 man. We have this in Arizona and it works nicely for the smaller schools. It allows schools that you have mentioned to continue to play tackle football while hopefully building their programs in pursuit of returning to 11 man football.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

wipala wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:10 pm Does Ohio have 8 man football? If the small schools, which it appears SEO have plenty, perhaps an option would be 8 man. We have this in Arizona and it works nicely for the smaller schools. It allows schools that you have mentioned to continue to play tackle football while hopefully building their programs in pursuit of returning to 11 man football.
I searched the OHSAA web site and could not find any mention of 8 man football but I remember an article within the last couple of years that there were a handful of small parochial schools in northern Ohio that played the sport.

Your idea might be the solution for PND, Green, plus the club programs in Adams county. I have seen 8 man games in South Carolina and the quality level was quite good.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Omega wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:05 pm
wipala wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:10 pm Does Ohio have 8 man football? If the small schools, which it appears SEO have plenty, perhaps an option would be 8 man. We have this in Arizona and it works nicely for the smaller schools. It allows schools that you have mentioned to continue to play tackle football while hopefully building their programs in pursuit of returning to 11 man football.
I searched the OHSAA web site and could not find any mention of 8 man football but I remember an article within the last couple of years that there were a handful of small parochial schools in northern Ohio that played the sport.

Your idea might be the solution for PND, Green, plus the club programs in Adams county. I have seen 8 man games in South Carolina and the quality level was quite good.
it does take a couple of games, as a fan, to really enjoy this type of football..it allows schools to offer football to students that otherwise may leave to another school.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Football fan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:40 pm NW has been discussing ending their football program and oak hill and NW are both to soft for SOC II but something has to give when western adds football but everything depends on western notre dame and green Manchester isn't joining the SOC Manchester should stay put with west union seamen eastern brown and peebles all having football they would dominate
Well if Manchester is joining SOC I with Western when their program is started, it'll help Manchester with scheduling games as they'll have 7 games (assuming Oak Hill moves up), plus a game against Fayetteville-Perry as a local rival. Eastern-Brown, North Adams, Peebles, and West Union only have club teams for football as the schools currently aren't sponsoring their footballs teams so right now, it's not wise for the SHAC to sport football until all 6 teams are sponsored by the schools like Fayetteville-Perry and Manchester. That's why Fayetteville-Perry joined the SBAAC for football-only and Manchester might be looking to join the SOC for football-only.

Northwest certainly isn't capable of competing in SOC II right now so I have no problem keeping them in SOC I for now, but Oak Hill has regularly played Minford and Wheelersburg non-conference. Yes, Oak Hill has lost many games against SOC II teams, but I feel like Oak Hill would at least be competitive against Minford, Valley, West, and maybe Waverly; Burg will be difficult for most SE teams in any division. I'd also expect Oak Hill, if they move up, to continue scheduling Northwest since they're both D5. Add Rock Hill, River Valley, Wellston as likely non-conference rivalry games leaving them with at least 1 other game to schedule (assuming all 4 teams are added to the 5 conference games).

Return to “Football”