Consolidation Topic

Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: Consolidation and when will it effect SE Ohio ????

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I think it’s coming. East, green, new Boston, clay barely have enough kids to field a team. Maybe clay goes to valley, east, to new Boston or both to Portsmouth. Green to burg. Or with open enrollment that gives kids a option to go to a school with sports. Green is the best story of the year. Last year cancelled a game due to lack of kids to this year a 7 seed in the state playoffs.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Maniactough
Waterboy

Post by Maniactough »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:11 pm I think it’s coming. East, green, new Boston, clay barely have enough kids to field a team. Maybe clay goes to valley, east, to new Boston or both to Portsmouth. Green to burg. Or with open enrollment that gives kids a option to go to a school with sports. Green is the best story of the year. Last year cancelled a game due to lack of kids to this year a 7 seed in the state playoffs.
I agree I believe it is only a matter of time before the state looks at closing schools.
Several are on top of each other and a few are so spread out it hurts them.
Green is a feel good story but can they do this year after year ????
I don’t believe do Wheelersburg absorbing them and may east may happen sooner than later.

Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

It will never happen in Scioto County. All of the smaller schools have newer buildings (10 years old or less). If Green gets approved in November for a new school theses schools will never consolidate until the tax payers stop approving tax levies.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Real Time wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:31 pm It will never happen in Scioto County. All of the smaller schools have newer buildings (10 years old or less). If Green gets approved in November for a new school theses schools will never consolidate until the tax payers stop approving tax levies.
It is ridiculous, I pay higher taxes than my parents who have 4 times the property and a newer house and about 90% of what my in-laws pay for a house that's worth 3 times what mine is.

Maniactough
Waterboy

Post by Maniactough »

That’s is a problem communities are paying a price for new schools as the population shrinks as does the tax base.
Ironton residents are paying for the new school and now talking of raising water rates.
Sadly the money will run dry and those who have nothing to gain will continue to pay.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Let’s not forget, some consolation hasn’t worked well in SE Ohio. They deconsolidated in Gallia County and formed South Gallia after some time and when Portsmouth East was going to close and go to Portsmouth schools, didn’t they keep open by becoming a charter school?

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

Frank Reagan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:03 pm Let’s not forget, some consolation hasn’t worked well in SE Ohio. They deconsolidated in Gallia County and formed South Gallia after some time and when Portsmouth East was going to close and go to Portsmouth schools, didn’t they keep open by becoming a charter school?
South Gallia formed from Southwestern and Hannah Trace and River Valley from Bidwell and Kyger Creek back in the '90's. Don't know anything about Portsmouth.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think for things to change. The way the state and county tax and set up school districts needs to change. until and unless this changes consolidation wont really work or be an improvement.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Rvfan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:39 pm
Frank Reagan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:03 pm Let’s not forget, some consolation hasn’t worked well in SE Ohio. They deconsolidated in Gallia County and formed South Gallia after some time and when Portsmouth East was going to close and go to Portsmouth schools, didn’t they keep open by becoming a charter school?
South Gallia formed from Southwestern and Hannah Trace and River Valley from Bidwell and Kyger Creek back in the '90's. Don't know anything about Portsmouth.
River Valley consolidated 4 schools in 1992 - Hannan Trace, Kyger Creek, North Gallia, & Southwestern. South Gallia formed by deconsolidating in 1996.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Rvfan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

It will have to be done by a politician (s) who don't want to run again.
There won't be many votes gained by closing a school.
They have trouble closing Post Offices so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Doesn't Bealsville have graduating classes of under 20 kids?
They tried closing it and the community voted to keep it open.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The golden rule: those who have the gold makes the rules, so the state will force the issue when they feel appropriate.

Southern Ohio went thru mass consolidation of township schools back in the 1950's. Anyone remember Otway, Rarden, Stockdale, Coalton, or Wakefield high schools?

However do not assume that bigger is better in terms of academics or sports performance.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think if there is a change in southeastern ohio the only thing that makes sense is to not worry about county lines. And worry more about kids travel time on a bus. and then go from there. i think if you consolidated this way you would have a lot less complaints and you would see an improvement in academics and grades maybe. i dont know just my guess

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I’m not sure the current schools have the room for consolidation and the schools are to new to just build new ones

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

The schools in Scioto county are weird anyway. There are a few districts that bus kids back and forth across hills mainly following township lines instead of sending kids to the closest school or putting them on the best roads.

Cameroncrazie
Riding the Bench

Post by Cameroncrazie »

Consolidation will not happen. It is almost impossible to consolidate school districts, notice I said school districts not schools within a district.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I don't see it happening myself and as far as Lawrence county goes almost everybody has new schools

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

East is a charter school, there have been rumblings about them possibly trying to get new schools also. If consolidation does happen, they won't be involved unless board members and community agree upon it.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I don't see consolidation anytime soon in Lawrence county. Coal Groves high school is about 22 years old. The elementary school building is about 11 years old. We're building a new softball field where the old Jr High building was at on the corner of Marion Pike and Lane Street. Our enrollment numbers are pretty good. I believe our 4th grade class has over 100 kids. The last graduating class had 100 or so students.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Where should the state consider consolidation in SEO?

Post by Howard Cosell »

My initial thought is in Athens county. Put Trimble and Nelsonville together. What other districts would make sense? How about Southern and Eastern in meigs county?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!

Return to “Football”