PA Announcers : What makes you like them and the way they do their thing?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

PA Announcers : What makes you like them and the way they do their thing?

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

For me its consistency.

For me to really enjoy the call they do it this way
call the name and number of the players, who are involved in the play and the yardage the play went for.
Which is rare.

I absolutely detest the ones who do not call each play or just say the pass was completed or it was a run for a first down.

I understand it is a task to do their job and for those who do it, I as a fan am glad they are doing it.
I just do not understand those who put such little effort into it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: PA Announcers : What makes you like them and the way they do their thing?

Post by Ironman92 »

Real simple....don’t act like anyone is at the game to just hear you. Announce, do your advertisements as called to do and don’t scream.

Also....it’s 2000 and effing 18....don’t announce scores ofstuff you know people are recording. Stop it. That was cool in 1993 but stupid now.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Also I’ll shout out to Dan Morrow who does radio for Jackson football and basketball. He speaks on the radio of every kid knowing their grandparents are likely listening. Also a smooth voice, pretty unbiased calling and mixes in his views and analysis nicely.

Bob Grillo is much like Morrow (good ol Jackson boys from the mid 70’s)....and the wkkj guys are really good.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I like it when they keep it simple give us the information we need and don’t try to say to much

37reps@225#
Waterboy

Post by 37reps@225# »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 pm Also I’ll shout out to Dan Morrow who does radio for Jackson football and basketball. He speaks on the radio of every kid knowing their grandparents are likely listening. Also a smooth voice, pretty unbiased calling and mixes in his views and analysis nicely.

Bob Grillo is much like Morrow (good ol Jackson boys from the mid 70’s)....and the wkkj guys are really good.
I have said it once before already Dan, Dan,and Pete are the best in the business! If you can’t make it to the game rest assured they have you covered. They are celebrities no doubt about it! I heard there is like 10000 people that tune in each and every week. They are and always will be the voice of our fighting Ironmen. If anyone is getting started in the biz 96.7 Friday night record it and take notes because that’s how it’s done.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Waverlys announcer is good he's on top of things, and Burgs announcer is great he's got a good voice for it

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I’m anxious to see if Wellston will get penalized every time their announcer feels the need to do play by play or talk/yell while the ball is in play.

Trump2020
Riding the Bench

Post by Trump2020 »

You all might not want to make the trip North to Trimble. They do a little bit of everything up there. The Ric Flair Woooooo is said 20 times or more a game.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Dundas wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:43 pm I’m anxious to see if Wellston will get penalized every time their announcer feels the need to do play by play or talk/yell while the ball is in play.
I was at a Waverly game and the guy kept doing that he even yelled out holding but I can not remember if it was high school or middle school

Slothman
Freshman Team

Post by Slothman »

Wellston’s is terrible!

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

Amanda-Clearcreek's announcer is a real pro. I think he's been at the mic for 30 years or so. He's consistent and on top of every play.

Bexley's PA guy Neil Shapiro. If you've heard his voice, you know exactly what I mean. He's also Capital University's football PA announcer, and a real gentleman. Used to work the PA at Columbus Clippers games and was a DJ on the old WCOL-AM in Columbus during the 1970's.

Upper Arlington - their PA announcer was Chris Mitchell but I thought I heard he might be stepping down from that gig. His overall style and the rhythm of his calls just flow nicely.

bulldog77
Waterboy

Post by bulldog77 »

The fact they are voluntarily doing a job in addition to their regular FT jobs is sufficient enough. No need to whine about what they do unless someone wants to step up and take their place.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

I like it when they keep the crowd pumped

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

bulldog77 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm The fact they are voluntarily doing a job in addition to their regular FT jobs is sufficient enough. No need to whine about what they do unless someone wants to step up and take their place.
I have done PA for various games as a fill in. All I ask is they don’t break the ohsaa rules. Teams/coaches and even bands are penalized when they break the rules. Why is it okay for PA announcers to break the rules? Band members, players and even some coaches are volunteers. So that excuse isn’t really valid.

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

I dislike the announcer at Alexander.. Nails on a chalkboard.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

100% agree ^^^^

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

The guy at West is the absolute worst.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

I know the man has since passed but I never really liked Skip Hickman at Portsmouth.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

What I really dislike is the PA announcer that seems to think they are on the radio and what to give a live play by play. We are all at the game, we can see what is happening before us. Simply announce who ran/caught/threw the ball, who made the tackle/interception/fumble recovery/ect. Obviously we know the PA announcer is a home school person, but for pete sake, keep it professional.

Probably one of the funniest things I have seen was at a Meigs game a few years ago. Meigs was on defense, and whoever they were playing threw a long pass down the sideline. When all of a sudden, over the PA, you hear the announcer yell "turn around" right before the ball reached the defender/receiver. Granted I am almost positive it was an accident on the PA announcers behalf. But you could hear the visiting team roar in anger as the Meigs defender turned and broke up the pass just as the "turn around" bellowed over the loud speaker.

ShooterMcgavin
Freshman Team

Post by ShooterMcgavin »

Trump2020 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:47 am You all might not want to make the trip North to Trimble. They do a little bit of everything up there. The Ric Flair Woooooo is said 20 times or more a game.
Along with 1st Downnnnn Tomcats 20+ lol

I eat pieces of s;”: like you for breakfast

Return to “Football”