Will Portsmouth Notre Dame have football this year?

Ptowntrojan61
Waterboy

Will Portsmouth Notre Dame have football this year?

Post by Ptowntrojan61 »

Had heard there were only 14 kids coming out to play this year and that school board was voting on to keep football this year sometime this week.

Oak
Freshman Team

Re: Will Portsmouth Notre Dame have football this year?

Post by Oak »

Was told a few days ago that several kids had quit then some had transferred and that they didn't have enough for a team. Then I heard they were gonna try to play, so who knows. Hadn't heard about the vote.

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

That's sad to hear.

Karma2
Riding the Bench

Post by Karma2 »

The latest rumor was maybe a JV schedule, over half of the players are freshman. Not much in numbers coming from next years 9th grade class either. If you are wanting to play/start high school football, this is the place to transfer....lol.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

If this is indeed the case how will it effect the teams who have scheduled to play them and the SOC

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Hate to hear this. I know for a long time Notre Dame was the smallest school in the state to have a football program. I have heard some have already enrolled elsewhere.

Ptowntrojan61
Waterboy

Post by Ptowntrojan61 »

Tartanblue wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 pm If this is indeed the case how will it effect the teams who have scheduled to play them and the SOC
This was my thought exactly. it is a huge blow to a long running program. I have been informed in the state of Ohio that if the students were to stay at Notre Dame they could then play at the closest school with a football program to them.(can anyone confirm this?)

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

If your school doesn't have a sport you can play that sport at another school that has that sport. The specifics on which school you can attend (how close) I'm not sure.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

Go to east everybody seems to transfer there from all over scioto county lol

SOC 1
flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

Green could use the help.

Karma2
Riding the Bench

Post by Karma2 »

If they decide on a jv schedule, can the juniors and seniors play elsewhere and still attend ND?

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Seabee_0586 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:37 pm Go to east everybody seems to transfer there from all over scioto county lol
Do you complain about the transfers that Burg and other schools receive?

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

Yes I do complain I think if you live in a school district suck it up and play for your home town school...

SOC 1
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

If true, it will be a shame to see the Titans fall from the high school football playing ranks. Such history and tradition. This could also signal the end of historic Spartan Stadium as a viable venue.

In retrospect, given the economic circumstances in SE Ohio, it is surprising that a tiny parochial school has been able to field a competitive football squad, let alone keep the school open.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
tiger2000
Waterboy

Post by tiger2000 »

It used to be I believe you had to play at the closest school that had a program, but ALL the kids from ND live in some school district. Clay, New Boston and Webster are the three in Scioto County that don't have football, unless I am forgetting somebody.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Really amazing ND has survived as long as they have in a small town with the economic troubles we have.

This really put some football players in a bad situation. Can't blame them for moving on to other programs.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Omega wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:17 pm If true, it will be a shame to see the Titans fall from the high school football playing ranks. Such history and tradition. This could also signal the end of historic Spartan Stadium as a viable venue.

In retrospect, given the economic circumstances in SE Ohio, it is surprising that a tiny parochial school has been able to field a competitive football squad, let alone keep the school open.
Would there be any chance of East possibly using Spartan in the future if Notre Dame doesn't field a team? I also think the Portsmouth/Portsmouth West Game should be neutral sited there every year. JMO

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Tough situation from what i've heard and read on here. I get the reasoning for ND looking at a jv schedule, as they could get a lot of kids hurt this year playing a varsity schedule with mostly freshman/sophomores. But if they go the jv schedule route, they'll likely have to do it again next year as well. At that point, I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose more kids from that freshman class and then it's a real question whether they ever get football back.*

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OVC wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am
Omega wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:17 pm If true, it will be a shame to see the Titans fall from the high school football playing ranks. Such history and tradition. This could also signal the end of historic Spartan Stadium as a viable venue.

Would there be any chance of East possibly using Spartan in the future if Notre Dame doesn't field a team? I also think the Portsmouth/Portsmouth West Game should be neutral sited there every year. JMO
Great idea, but I fear even if PND's program continues, Spartan Stadium will need hundred of thousands of dollars to just be safe for players and fans. Electrical, plumbing, and structure. Money is scarce, maybe the only chance at salvation would be Shawnee State.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I really hate to hear this. ole bait had no idea this was going on. I would hate to see this for the system and the soc as well. I remember when saint joe in ironton had to cut off their football program. which at the time was said to be the smallest school in ohio , by male enrollment to have a football program. they played in the ovc and often won it. basically every male in the school played back in the day. we'd go to ironton games to see the tigers on Friday night, and then back on Saturday to watch saint joe. great times back then.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “Football”