Will Portsmouth Notre Dame have football this year?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Will Portsmouth Notre Dame have football this year?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

many younger folks don't know that bob lutz coached there early in his career at st. joe and oak hill.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

OVC wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am
Omega wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:17 pm If true, it will be a shame to see the Titans fall from the high school football playing ranks. Such history and tradition. This could also signal the end of historic Spartan Stadium as a viable venue.

In retrospect, given the economic circumstances in SE Ohio, it is surprising that a tiny parochial school has been able to field a competitive football squad, let alone keep the school open.
Would there be any chance of East possibly using Spartan in the future if Notre Dame doesn't field a team? I also think the Portsmouth/Portsmouth West Game should be neutral sited there every year. JMO
East is slowly fixing their own field, with adding a sprinkler system and new sod. So I do not see them wanting to use the field. Also do not see them wanting to drive to Portsmouth for a home game.

Watson40
Waterboy

Post by Watson40 »

Oak wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:48 pm If your school doesn't have a sport you can play that sport at another school that has that sport. The specifics on which school you can attend (how close) I'm not sure.
There was a discussion in this during baseball season. Due to new Boston not having a team. I think the rule is that any kid can play at a different school then the one they are assigned to if it is a home school student or a charter school. Is ND considered a charter school or an established private school? They may be omitted from allowing their kids to play elsewhere.

Any clarification on this is appreciated. I thought that's how it went but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong haha.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Watson40 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm
Oak wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:48 pm If your school doesn't have a sport you can play that sport at another school that has that sport. The specifics on which school you can attend (how close) I'm not sure.
There was a discussion in this during baseball season. Due to new Boston not having a team. I think the rule is that any kid can play at a different school then the one they are assigned to if it is a home school student or a charter school. Is ND considered a charter school or an established private school? They may be omitted from allowing their kids to play elsewhere.

Any clarification on this is appreciated. I thought that's how it went but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong haha.
I have known a few kids from St. Joe that wanted to play football and they had to register inside their home district to play. Now granted this was a few years ago so I don't know if the rules have changed since then.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

State law says private school kids can participate in an extracurricular at the public school of their residence if said extracurricular isn't offered at the private school.

So if Notre Dame football folds, a kid living in Wheelersburg can play at 'Burg. Unsure of the situation, however, of a student attending ND living in New Boston or Clay's districts wanting to play football.

Karma2
Riding the Bench

Post by Karma2 »

Notre Dame was practicing this morning with 14 strong, 1 injured, and 1 awaiting medical clearance from an injury from last season. As of now, it looks like a go.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Karma2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:31 pm Notre Dame was practicing this morning with 14 strong, 1 injured, and 1 awaiting medical clearance from an injury from last season. As of now, it looks like a go.
That is encouraging for the continuation of the program, be it practice for the JV or varsity level.

Still only having sixteen turn out makes for a precarious situation of injury attrition as the season progresses.

Have Titan numbers been this low before?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Gotta give it up to those young men who are out there, but a 10 loss season is never fun.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

But you also can't put a price on game experience. Are they trading a 10 loss season this year for one next year?

Also in my experience once a kid misses a season of football they usually never play again.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Omega wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:27 am
Karma2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:31 pm Notre Dame was practicing this morning with 14 strong, 1 injured, and 1 awaiting medical clearance from an injury from last season. As of now, it looks like a go.
That is encouraging for the continuation of the program, be it practice for the JV or varsity level.

Still only having sixteen turn out makes for a precarious situation of injury attrition as the season progresses.

Have Titan numbers been this low before?
I believe they had a few seasons where they only had 15-20 kids around 2001-2003

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Tough to push forward with numbers like they have in the middle school. Having seen the younger kids play, it's gonna be tough sledding going forward to produce a competitive team.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:42 am many younger folks don't know that bob lutz coached there early in his career at st. joe and oak hill.
What year did he coach at PND? I can't find it listed anywhere. I played at the Point in the late 60's and we always played them before the season started and Ed Miller was the coach at that time for PND.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

knightruner wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:17 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:42 am many younger folks don't know that bob lutz coached there early in his career at st. joe and oak hill.
What year did he coach at PND? I can't find it listed anywhere. I played at the Point in the late 60's and we always played them before the season started and Ed Miller was the coach at that time for PND.
I believe he's not meaning PND, talking about st.joe.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I was talking to some friends who has kids go to ND, they was telling me, they are still going to play varsity schedule this season.

Karma2
Riding the Bench

Post by Karma2 »

The varsity schedule is indeed a go. The junior high team had four 8th grade boys transfer into ND recently and that brings the total to 18 for the junior high team. Not sure, but I believe the breakdown is 10 7th graders and 8 8th graders.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Sad times for the Titans , they were always competitive and the school supports them like crazy .

Return to “Football”