Ironton 21 Coal Grove 12

packers80
SE

Re: WEEK 8 -- 4-3 COAL GROVE @ 5-2 IRONTON -- BORDER WAR SPECIAL

Post by packers80 »

Ironton still has enough enrollment to be d5 right? Thanks. Don't wanna hear about their shrinking enrollment. As far as playoffs, ironton too one dimensional, they will play their 3rd good team of the Year and lose to the 3rd good team they played. Oh wait, 4th, Gallipoli.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Sorry, but I wouldn’t call this a rivalry. Coal Grove’s two rivals are Chesapeake for the Little Brown Jug and Rock Hill in the series known for fights galore. Ironton’s main rival has been Ashland from way back and maybe Wheelers urg. Ironton and Coal Grove is a border battle, nothing more, nothing less.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
SportFan08
Riding the Bench

Post by SportFan08 »

Coal Grove Dawson-Bryant will not be able to stop Carrico and Fosson.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Frank Reagan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:46 pm Sorry, but I wouldn’t call this a rivalry. Coal Grove’s two rivals are Chesapeake for the Little Brown Jug and Rock Hill in the series known for fights galore. Ironton’s main rival has been Ashland from way back and maybe Wheelers urg. Ironton and Coal Grove is a border battle, nothing more, nothing less.
It may not in be in the past but it may start to be.

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

maniac66 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm
packers80 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 pm Ironton in that conference is like oak hill in soc 1.
Ironton is the second smallest school in the OVC behind Coal Grove I believe.
Ironton is known for it's past football greatness not it's recent failure.
As for right now they have a new coach and staff that have installed a new sense of Pride and discipline in the way they play.
True they need to cut down on turnovers and penalties but they are improving every game.
As for the playoffs I believe if they get a home game or even have to go on the road they will win the first playoff game and possibly a second round game.
I would love to see Ironton and Gallia and anyone else in the OVC and or SE Ohio go far in the playoffs and represent SE Ohio well.
Ironton is laying the ground work to become competitive again in Football and maybe they will become to good for the OVC maybe not.
But the fact is Ironton is no longer a Div. III team or a Div.IV team they are a Div.V team and the OVC is the right fit for them.
Great post

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

Coal grove, to be competitive in this game will need to focus on limiting 28 and 44. Those two backs are solid runners and would be good at any level. Scary that carrico is only a sophomore. One big thing grove, if it is 4th and 9 on your own 35 punt the ball. Giving the tigers a short field will spell disaster, they will take advantage of it and make you pay for it. The tigers over the year have been some what unironton like when ball security is concerned that is a small crack that may turn into advantage. I am sure that has been, and is being worked on.

Line play will be the key to this game. Coal grove skill guys won’t allow what happened against rock hill. They are tough in the defensive backfield. If the front can let there linebackers work this game will be a gem. The key to this game will be, dare I say it, coal grove’s vertical threat the guys can catch the ball. Will the line allow their Qb the time to let their playmakers make plays. If they do would not surprise me if this one goes down to the wire.

I do think Ironton wins this game but you never know, on a hopefully normal fall Friday night, anything may happen. Break out the long sleeves everyone we might see some cooler weather.

Hope for a hard hitting injury free game.

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

TTT

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

packers80 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:11 pm Ironton wins, but they should. They should win every conference game because it's a bad conference. Ironton wins out,then one and done in the playoffs.
I just just feel the love man.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

maniac66 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm
packers80 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 pm Ironton in that conference is like oak hill in soc 1.
Ironton is the second smallest school in the OVC behind Coal Grove I believe.
Ironton is known for it's past football greatness not it's recent failure.
As for right now they have a new coach and staff that have installed a new sense of Pride and discipline in the way they play.
True they need to cut down on turnovers and penalties but they are improving every game.
As for the playoffs I believe if they get a home game or even have to go on the road they will win the first playoff game and possibly a second round game.
I would love to see Ironton and Gallia and anyone else in the OVC and or SE Ohio go far in the playoffs and represent SE Ohio well.
Ironton is laying the ground work to become competitive again in Football and maybe they will become to good for the OVC maybe not.
But the fact is Ironton is no longer a Div. III team or a Div.IV team they are a Div.V team and the OVC is the right fit for them.
I agree maniac.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
StolenTalents12
Freshman Team

Post by StolenTalents12 »

It’s hard to believe that Carrico is only a sophomore. He’s a well put together kid to only be 15-16 years old. He’s gonna be a fun one to watch the rest of this year and the next two years. He could possibly and most likely lead Ironton to 3 OVC titles in a row.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Its not very often that Coal Grove is put in the position of just having to be the Spoiler, but that's the roll that they find themselves in this game. I think they will give one heck of an effort against the Tigers, but overall Ironton is just more talented this year. The Tigers move on to the big Showdown with Gallia Academy for the OVC Championship.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Frank Reagan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:46 pm Sorry, but I wouldn’t call this a rivalry. Coal Grove’s two rivals are Chesapeake for the Little Brown Jug and Rock Hill in the series known for fights galore. Ironton’s main rival has been Ashland from way back and maybe Wheelers urg. Ironton and Coal Grove is a border battle, nothing more, nothing less.
[/quote

The Border war is on. As both schools now have new players who moved in. These players are from South American. They came across before the Border Wall could be put up. The two players families have be fierce rivals for centuries. All kinds of fighting. No doubt about it they can kick FG's over 50 yards each. This game will be a FG contest before some people in the stands say that Taco Bell is real Mexican food. This sets off a big fight so that this game will always be known as the Border War.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Coal Grove will show up to play there's no denying that. and will show up with a pretty solid team that if allowed to stay in the game emotionally and on the scoreboard could cause the Tigers some trouble inside the Tank. But with the turnaround Ironton has had with the program, the confidence and momentum carry's the Tigers through a hard fought battle against the visiting Hornets setting up a big time game with GA.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Yukntny
Waterboy

Post by Yukntny »

Gonna be a tough game. I have to give the edge to Ironton

bcltcr
Riding the Bench

Post by bcltcr »

Ironton is the better team, but they still aren’t clicking on offense. I don’t think Coal Grove does much on offense against them. Ironton by 2-3 scores.

Side note: what has went wrong at Coal Grove this year? I know they returned a lot. They lost to a mediocre Chesapeake team and had some tight games with lesser opponents.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Ironton’s offense not clicking yet? Averaging almost 52 a game over the last 3. I’d hate to see it if the offense does click.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Frank Reagan wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:07 pm Ironton’s offense not clicking yet? Averaging almost 52 a game over the last 3. I’d hate to see it if the offense does click.
No offense but terrible take. Ironton should put up points on the last three opponents. I think he’s looking for something better against stronger competition. Coal Grove will be a better measurement.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

folks are talkin like they think the tigers have it under lock n key. we still have coal grove, gahs and end with Portsmouth. I ain't overlooking anybody. and we get everybodie's best effort. the ovc is top heavy with some pretty solid teams.

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

Grove was in the Gallia game until the last quarter. We had several chances to take the lead but you can’t win by only playing 3 quarters it has to be a complete game! We have a lot to work on! This week we will have to be mistake free! Game is at ironton so Cg is already down 14-0 at least.

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

packers80 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:11 pm Ironton wins, but they should. They should win every conference game because it's a bad conference. Ironton wins out,then one and done in the playoffs.

Not sure that the conference is bad but it’s not the strongest. Ironton has had some bad years in recruiting with the new staff I’m sure they will be better soon. I can say that ironton May win this week but I will almost assure you they won’t win the conference. I will say Gallia wins it they are very good and well coached now game is at ironton we know every opponent is down a touchdown or 2 before game starts

Return to “Football”