Re: WEEK 8 -- 4-3 COAL GROVE @ 5-2 IRONTON -- BORDER WAR SPECIAL

Post by countywide35 »

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS TONIGHT!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK TO THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS TONIGHT ON A CRISP FALL EVENING, SHOULD BE PERFECT WEATHER FOR A FALL FRIDAY NIGHT GAME. IF IT'S TRUE THAT THE HORNETS HAVE TROUBLE STOPPING THE RUN, THEN THAT SHOULD BE RIGHT WHERE THE HUNGRY TIGERS SHOULD ATTACK 1ST, THAT WILL SETUP PASSES FROM THERE, JUST INTERMEDIATTE ROUTES WON'T BE SUSPECTED. YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THE LONG PASSES ALL THE TIME. GET RUNNING BACKS LOOSE AND LET THEM TAKE IT FROM THERE. I HOPE FOR A SAFE GAME BOTH WAYS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Game day!

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

Gameday for the Grove!! Coal Grove may be 4-3 but I still fully believe we can compete with anyone on our schedule. Couple bad breaks, few bad plays and lightning delays have cost us. This is still a very talented team. We have a great coaching staff and I think the hornets will come to play tonight! Coal Grove kids are tough as nails, work hard and don’t give up. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an upset tonight. With that being said.

GO BIG GROVE
ROLL COAL

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I think this will be a dandy matt.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

Me too bait. Should be a good game between two schools that are just separated by about 2 miles of US 52 highway. Should be around 54 degrees at kickoff. Finally some good October football weather.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I don't think either staff will be taking this one lightly.

LOMBARDI9.9
Riding the Bench

Post by LOMBARDI9.9 »

Tigers by 14

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I have been looking back to see how many times ironton and coal grove have played up to 2007. ironton had only played coal grove at the varsity level through 2007 3 time.
1930- ironton won 13-0
2000-ironton won 51-0
2001 ironton won 49-0
I saw both of the latter 2. they have never met in the playoffs. that's why I called it a border war, instead of calling it a rivalry. I know they play each other in the lower levels,but was surprised from 1902 through 2007 they had only met 3 times. with ironton winning all 3. coal grove got their 1st win over ironton last year as the hornets topped ironton, and also won the ovc championship last year. ====================== but those were much different times in fighting tiger football lore. both teams are basically the same size now as opposed to ironton being AA, D3, OR D4. ironton and coal grove are the 2 smallest ovc schools male enrollment wise. with ironton being d5, and coal grove being d6. ironton has won the ovc 2 times since being in it. coal grove won it last year. and both teams are fighting for it this year. ironton is undefeated in ovc play thus far. with their 2 losses being to wheelersburg and Ashland, both are powerhouses again. now we are settled into league play and it's getting tight up top. and something's gotta give. ironton has big games left with coal grove, gahs, and Portsmouth. and the ovc looks very talented overall in depth and standings. I look for this one to be a dandy, as the 2 are set to do battle every year now. I'm not sure of score since 2007. but I know the tigers have won all but 1 of them. --------------- no disrespect here intended at all to coal grove and it's fine organization, just some facts I dug up. I thought they had played more. but all that has no nearing or reflection of this years game. which I look to be a barnburner. especially with coal grove beating ironton last year. here's to a safe, fun game for both squads. YTB.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

SOME OTHER COOL THINGS I FOUND ABOUT FIGHTING TIGER FOOTBALL, CHECK THIS OUT.
IN 1914 IRONTON BEAT MARSHALL COLLEGE 15-0
IN 1915 IRONTON TIED RIO GRANDE COLLEGE 13-13 AND LOST TO RIO 1-0 LATER IN THE SEASON (HOW DO YOU DO THAT)
IN 1916- IRONTON PLAYED MARSHALL COLLEGE'S RESERVES AND WON 100-0
AND IN 1919 HAD A BUSY YEAR WITH COLLEGE TEAMS. IN 1919 THEY BEAT RIO GRANDE COLLEGE 12-6. THEN TIED ST. EDWARDS COLLEGE OF WEST VIRGINIA 0-0 -- THEN LOST TO ST. ED'S COLLEGE 6-0
AND IN 1920 IRONTON LOST TO RIO GRANDE COLLEGE 58-7. AND THEN BEAT ST. EDWARDS COLLEGE OF WEST. VA. 36-6.

THAT'S PURTY COOL STUFF RIGHT THERE. JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE COOL TO SHARE WITH SEOPS.

joshwheeler
Waterboy

Post by joshwheeler »

Catch it at Facebook.com/coalgrovelive tonight.

Hornets by 3 on a field goal by Evan Holmes.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

nice stats bait.....good read

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Going with the Tigers in this one but it will be a hard fought victory. I remember watching a lot of Coal Grove games in the early 70's and they always played tough and still do. These last 3 games will be a test of just how much the Tigers have improved and hopefully keep building on next year.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

maniac66 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm
packers80 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 pm Ironton in that conference is like oak hill in soc 1.
Ironton is the second smallest school in the OVC behind Coal Grove I believe.
Ironton is known for it's past football greatness not it's recent failure.
As for right now they have a new coach and staff that have installed a new sense of Pride and discipline in the way they play.
True they need to cut down on turnovers and penalties but they are improving every game.
As for the playoffs I believe if they get a home game or even have to go on the road they will win the first playoff game and possibly a second round game.
I would love to see Ironton and Gallia and anyone else in the OVC and or SE Ohio go far in the playoffs and represent SE Ohio well.
Ironton is laying the ground work to become competitive again in Football and maybe they will become to good for the OVC maybe not.
But the fact is Ironton is no longer a Div. III team or a Div.IV team they are a Div.V team and the OVC is the right fit for them.

I’m gonna have to say:”I totally respect you for your comment and respect and pride for SE OHIO & hopes for any school to do well & represent the area on the bigger stage”!

Also, a firm supporter of any school from SE Ohio advancing and representing our area for many years, it’s good to see others taking this stance as well.

Although I needed to move away from Ironton to Orlando to optimize my career where there was more of a future for what I do, I REALLY miss my tri-state roots. I’m extremely excited to cheer on the fighting tigers from afar , and if the Good Lord wills it so, I’m about 3-4 years from being able to leap back home, re-root, work PT, & grab some IHS season tickets for everything offered!

Gotigersgo!!!

Gettheball
gettheball
gettheball
gettheball
gettheball
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

Big playoff game tonight for both teams! Could help with ironton getting a home game and an upset for Cg keeps us in the hunt for a spot! GO BIG GROVE!!!!

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

Matt77 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:47 am Gameday for the Grove!! Coal Grove may be 4-3 but I still fully believe we can compete with anyone on our schedule. Couple bad breaks, few bad plays and lightning delays have cost us. This is still a very talented team. We have a great coaching staff and I think the hornets will come to play tonight! Coal Grove kids are tough as nails, work hard and don’t give up. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an upset tonight. With that being said.

GO BIG GROVE
ROLL COAL
Well said Matt.
GO BIG GROVE!

ballrmom1
Riding the Bench

Post by ballrmom1 »

Good luck Tigers!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

"The calm before the storm" here in about an hour and a half. It will be over before halftime and then the Blue Devils get their chance next week. :shock:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:44 pm "The calm before the storm" here in about an hour and a half. It will be over before halftime and then the Blue Devils get their chance next week. :shock:
Lol that’s funny!

Return to “Football”