Teams that play tackle in 2nd grade

greygoose
SEOPS

Teams that play tackle in 2nd grade

Post by greygoose »

Was talking with someone who mentioned Jackson ironman played tackle football in 2nd grade and they mentioned not being able to find teams to play. So they've resulted to scrimmaging 3-4 grade teams, got me to wondering because I just think that's to young. How many other schools start tackle in 2nd grade??

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Teams that play tackle in 2nd grade

Post by Orange and Brown »

Nelsonville-York has kids who start playing in the second grade but they don't get to play with the 3rd/4th grade team. If we have enough second graders we will look for other second grade teams to play. A few years ago we brought in a team who said they had all second graders and it turned out they had 5 or 6 3rd graders playing on the team.
I think we should play flag football in 2nd and 3rd grade and go to tackle for 4th, 5th, and 6th grades.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

In Cincinnati most schools start tackle in kindergarten. I held my son out until 4th grade.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

CTE!!

CTE!!

CTE!!

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

NY no longer allows 2nd graders. Dont start untill 3rd grade. Ive seen 1st graders play full pads football in other organizations

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

There are studies out there that show flag football is not safer than tackle football as far as head injuries go, especially at the younger levels. I believe it. I saw many kids playing flag football crack heads or take a foot to the head as they fell down diving for a flag. I'd prefer my kid play tackle at that young age as opposed to flag. The only way I see that it would be safer is if they were playing flag in full equipment.

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

In our township league, I believe the minimum age for full-contact tackle football was six, plus your head had to be big enough for the smallest helmet size. My son asked to play when he turned six, we said yes (and his head was big enough).

He switched to soccer the following year, then football again, and that was it. And my younger son asked to play when he turn he turned 10, just one season.

That was 15 years ago. I don't recall them playing at a sufficiently intense level at that age to get much more than occasional bumps or bruises. I observed all of their practices from a distance, and never had reason for alarm, other than the instinctual sinking feeling whenever one of them got tackled or knocked down.

No way of knowing what it would have been like had either of them stayed with it thru high school.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye has 2 teams

Lowell Patriots
Beverly Cadets

Compete in Marietta city league

1st and 2nd grade - Flag
3rd and 4th - Tackle
5th and 6th - Tackle

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Superman wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:38 pm In Cincinnati most schools start tackle in kindergarten. I held my son out until 4th grade.
Now that's just crazy to me.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

It just made me think because these kids I'm being told are practicing 5 days a week and scrimmaging against other teams in the area 3rd and 4th grade teams so they're playing kids a lot bigger then them.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:55 pm It just made me think because these kids I'm being told are practicing 5 days a week and scrimmaging against other teams in the area 3rd and 4th grade teams so they're playing kids a lot bigger then them.
Who practices youth kids 5 days week?

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I coached in our leagues up here in the Groveport Youth Athletic Association from mid 90's to early 2000's. Games were played on Saturday's and we usually practiced 3x a week, sometimes under generator lights at night. We had Minis (6-8), Juniors ( 9-10) and Seniors (11-12), all tackle full pads. We played teams from Columbus South and East ends ( city schools) along with each other in GYAA ( 4 teams in each age division). At year end there was a tournament held at Groveport Madison high school that would usually bring in teams from 4 different counties as it was very popular and some years had to turn teams away. A lot of high school teams a few years later went to the playoffs with a lot of these kids. Some right off the top of my head are Independence, Marion -Franklin, Hamilton Township, Canal Winchester, Groveport Madison and Westfall back in the 2000-2010 time frame.
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

All schools in the Muskingum Valley League have 3 levels of biddy league tackle football. Grades 1-2. Grades 3-4. Grades 5-6.
Did not allow my sons to play at this point, but last year went and watched his friends play. Grades 1-2 the kids are so slow and the tackling is almost like hugging and dropping to the ground. Grades 3-4 was a little faster but the tackling was still not crushing blows. Grades 5-6 seemed to be a little more like a junior high game.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

League rules allow the teams to have 4 two hour practices a week before the first game and 3 two hour practices a week during season. Most teams practice at 6:00 on Tues, Wed, Thurs and most games are on Sundays (a few on Saturdays).
Last edited by teach1coach2 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

Zane Trace has 3rd-4th tackle with a few 2nd graders.
They practice twice a week and play a game on the weekend.
Very little hitting in practice. It is hard enough getting them lined up in the right spots.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

5th and 6th grade is almost too early,maybe 7th. 3 and 4 is dumb. Means nothing. I remember learning in college that a person doesn’t develop the basic skill sets needed to play most athletic sports until 6th grade.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:55 pm It just made me think because these kids I'm being told are practicing 5 days a week and scrimmaging against other teams in the area 3rd and 4th grade teams so they're playing kids a lot bigger then them.
They aren’t strictly second grade. I’ve seen that team. One kid had to be at least 3rd grade but was HUGE. No way a second grader is 5’0” and 140 lbs. 😂

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 am
They aren’t strictly second grade. I’ve seen that team. One kid had to be at least 3rd grade but was HUGE. No way a second grader is 5’0” and 140 lbs. 😂
Oh I'm sure they've got a player or 2 that's bigger, and honestly if that's what you got from the topic then you've misread everything entirely. I was curious about how many teams out there are starting tackle out at such a young age and how they handled practice. Now if I wanted to talk about schools that have prekindergarten, kindergarten, prefirst and first grade then I would've asked how many out there do that but I already know that answer, 1. Given that burg doesn't start tackle till 5/6 and still then keep it in house, I'm doubting you truly know much about a 2nd grade team not in your area. Like I said though if that's what you took from it that 1 boy was big out of 20 that's sad ,sure not what I was talking about. I mean we all know what 1-2 years of development does to a kid even at that age right? ;)

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

My kid is in second grade and playing tackle football with 3rd and 4th grade. He does just fine.

Also. Before you accuse me of misreading again, Jackson is the only school I know of that has second grade football in out area. I do have a few buddies in the Cinci area that have Kindergarteners playing tackle.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 am My kid is in second grade and playing tackle football with 3rd and 4th grade. He does just fine.

Also. Before you accuse me of misreading again, Jackson is the only school I know of that has second grade football in out area. I do have a few buddies in the Cinci area that have Kindergarteners playing tackle.
That's what I was curious about because I think at one time Vinton county had 2nd grade teams. Yeah not talking about the play up because sure there's physically kids able to do that. As a coach would you take a 2nd grade team and scrimmage only 3/4 grade teams and if it's beneficial. The kindergarten tackling teams just blows my mind still.

Return to “Football”