Piketon(13) @ (28)Waverly

toast
All State

Piketon(13) @ (28)Waverly

Post by toast »

Friday August 25th at Waverly. Several more improvements will have been made to an already top notch facility by the time this game is played. Fans are going to like what they see. The entire facility just keeps getting better.

Waverly is coming off a 9-1 regular season and playoff appearance. Piketon finished 7-3 with several nice wins. Word from the streets is Piketon's defense will be stout and improved from last year. Tons of experience on this unit.

Waverly will have to deal with the loss of five starters from last years defense. A defense that recorded six shoutouts in the first ten games. The Tigers will miss first team all-state linebacker Drew Harris along with several other kids who were multi-year starters. At this point the defense is a pretty big question mark.

Should be an entertaining game with a huge crowd as always.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Waverly vs Piketon

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

gotta say waverly here.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I'm hearing good things from Waverly, everyone fighting for a starting spot.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

big question is. just like with ironton, can they handle the burg.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:01 pm big question is. just like with ironton, can they handle the burg.
Me thinks the Burg has achieved both psychological and physical dominance against their traditional foes. SOC champs for 31 out of the last 44 years makes a statement. Waverly's best shot was last year and the Tigers fell short.

As to Piketon, expect a hard hitting rivalry game. The Red Streaks might surprise.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
tiger2000
Waterboy

Post by tiger2000 »

First off I used to be known on this board as G&B from huddle, but that account was so old and inactive I re-registered under this new identity.
I think Waverly beating 'Burg at 'Burg will be tough, but IMO other than a bad snap Waverly outplayed Burg this past year, but that was at home.
But back to the Pike County game. Haven't heard much about either team does anyone know how numbers look? The biggest "?" for any HS team at this point of the season is the O-line. Can they run block? Can they protect the QB? Can they gel? etc. A lot will be learned in Week 1. But I'll take the Tigers at home

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

tiger2000 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:23 pm First off I used to be known on this board as G&B from huddle, but that account was so old and inactive I re-registered under this new identity.
I think Waverly beating 'Burg at 'Burg will be tough, but IMO other than a bad snap Waverly outplayed Burg this past year, but that was at home.
But back to the Pike County game. Haven't heard much about either team does anyone know how numbers look? The biggest "?" for any HS team at this point of the season is the O-line. Can they run block? Can they protect the QB? Can they gel? etc. A lot will be learned in Week 1. But I'll take the Tigers at home
I'm looking forward to getting to some workouts but I hear the Tigers are BIG upfront and should be improved. Also heard the Tigers have some newcomers playing and some move ins.
Tigers should have some good speed as well.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

Waverly has to be the favorite here. The all time record favors them and they usually have Piketon's number. However, it is a huge rivalry game so anything can happen.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

You're right, anything can happen in a rivalry game. Evidence two years ago. Waverly's first game on their new turf field and the Tigers were consensus favorites. Most people had them winning by a comfortable margin. If not for a late game fumble by Piketon and a last second field goal by Waverly...... Piketon walks away with the victory.

Waverly had better come ready for a dog fight. Piketon will bring their A game.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

I always like these week 1 rivalry games. Just wish there were more of them. Piketon Waverly not in same league is great. Burg Ironton as another. I wish Portsmouth and West would play week 1. But back to Waverly Piketon. I believe the series started back again in 2008 or 2009 and the first game was a barn burner both teams in the 50s come back win by Waverly. Just a RIVALRY.

tiger2000
Waterboy

Post by tiger2000 »

As far as the series goes they played a few times starting 1958 and going through 1961. Then started playing again in 1965 and played through 1969. They renewed the rivalry in 1980 and kept playing through 1987. And then started up again in 1998 and played through 2002. Then the last renewal was in 2008 and have played every year since.
And some of the games were very very close exciting games.

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

I don't know sizes as of yet, but I do know Waverly's O line will be returning 3 of the 5 starters. Biggest loss there is at center in multi year starter Jordan Belt. I think the O line will be just fine though. They did lose a lot in the linebacker positions, but they do have one returning in Johnny Thompson who recorded several sacks and tackles for loss last year. The front for the D also has some returning. Nose guard Brian Peoples did a good job clogging the middle last year and flushing QB's out of the pocket and DE Gage Savely did a good job knocking down passes into the flat. Should be a good game. I can't wait.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Can anyone give us the scrimmage schedule for Waverly and Piketon?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly has a 7 on 7 Friday at 10:00a.m. against Greenfield McClain.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

smurray wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:07 pm Waverly has a 7 on 7 Friday at 10:00a.m. against Greenfield McClain.
Is that at Waverly?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 pm
smurray wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:07 pm Waverly has a 7 on 7 Friday at 10:00a.m. against Greenfield McClain.
Is that at Waverly?
Yes

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

7 on 7 for Waverly@ Circleville with Unioto also. I thought both the O and D looked good. Several big plays for the O including 2 long balls for Kane Jordan for TDs. Defensively FS Easton Wolfe had more pick 6's than I could keep track of. It was a good night for Waverly.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

OldTiger wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:13 pm 7 on 7 for Waverly@ Circleville with Unioto also. I thought both the O and D looked good. Several big plays for the O including 2 long balls for Kane Jordan for TDs. Defensively FS Easton Wolfe had more pick 6's than I could keep track of. It was a good night for Waverly.
Wolfe is going to be a very good one. Younger brother coming up behind him as well.
Jordan, Wolfe, Marquez and a couple others for DB's to have to cover. Kritzwiser is going to bring more speed to the backfield and I believe he has gotten a little stronger since last season.
Looking to see which newcomers will make an impact.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly 7 on 7 with Greenfield today changed to 6:00p.m. - weather not cooperating.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

smurray wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 am Waverly 7 on 7 with Greenfield today changed to 6:00p.m. - weather not cooperating.
I was wondering about that. :) Thanks!

Return to “Football”