Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6

Game day
All State

Re: Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6

Post by Game day »

Transparent wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:46 am Pendelton has these guys heading in right direction. Much improved from past coach. What was his name???
The Tigers needed a change and someone that will take them back to when they played hard the entire game.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Game day wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:54 am
Transparent wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:46 am Pendelton has these guys heading in right direction. Much improved from past coach. What was his name???
The Tigers needed a change and someone that will take them back to when they played hard the entire game.
Ironton definitely got that when they hired Pendleton. It takes time to build a winning program but he has already changed the environment for the better. Good things on the horizon for the Ironton faithful.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: WK1 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:34 am
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:19 pm
Waterboy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:04 pm

What ? No running clock ? Holy cow ? I think the Wheelersburg era has come to an end cause they didn’t put a running clock on Ironton. . Call me an idiot, but I’m pretty sure you are a crow eater mr. jolly. Yes you won but it was closer than you expected.
😂🤣 Your petty attempts are just that. Ain’t nobody butt hurt on this side. A W is a W.

Burg came out swinging. It looked as tho Burg would just run away with the game. Ironton has different plans. Their defense stiffened up and looked rather impressive. Trent Salyers missed a few passes long that could have been daggers. Ironton didn’t let up. They played a solid defensive game. Irontons Salyers had to run for his life most of the night and took a few big hits. But he kept popping back up. Ironton had a stroke of luck in the closing seconds of the first half. Not taking credit away. The kid was there. It’s just that a play like that is successful .05% of the time. Burg has quite a few things to work on before next week. As does Ironton. I felt like Burg wasn’t engaged completely. There were those who were. But they just seemed slow. Ironton on the other hand was relentless. They moved the ball well on the ground. I think they need to keep it there. The trap was working to perfection on the last drive they had. But in the end, Burg came out on top. They fought all night. They had to earn this one.

With all that being said, I think Ironton has restored the Fight in the Fighting Tigers.
Good assessment. I was lucky enough to catch this game.

Ironton is MUCH improved. They were relentless, much better conditioned and stronger/tougher than years past. Pendleton has them headed in the right direction.

Starting the season off against the defending state champs isnt easy for a 1st year coach. I think the effort his players gave without ever giving up says it all. Good showing by the Tigers.

I wouldn't doubt if this Ironton team is much improved by the end of the season.

Burg is very athletic and fast. Holden is a monster to defend. One big area that Burg won all night was through Burgs D line. They are physical but also quick. Ironton's O line struggled to execute their blocking schemes all night due to how good Burg is up front defensively.

I'm not sure that Ironton has found their identity on offense yet. Give them the next 5 or 6 more games to get it ironed out and they will be a handful.

It was a hard fought game and I'm glad to have taken this one in, but I'm slightly upset that I didnt nail that split the pot tonight. It had to be a small fortune!
The split the pot was around 900+. They did draw for 4 OSU tickets though. I thought that was the better of the two. 😂

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

[quote="victor creed" post_id=1678945 time=1535189295 user_id=679]
Ironton fans should be proud of the way their team played last night. They have improved greatly and Pendleton had them ready to play. Now let's not get carried away and say if not for this it's 14-6 or if we score on the 1st an goal from the 5 etc. not counting the Hail Mary ironton didn't cross the wheelersburg 30 all night. It was in fact a dominating night for the burg defense. The carrico kid is a beast. But it's a long season. I am not sure how long a sophomore lasts carrying the ball 30 + time a night and then being asked to play defense too. The tigers need to spread it around some I they can. I thought burg play calling was just a little better than bad most of the night. No patience We went for the big plays all night instead of taking what the defense was giving us good luck to ironton the rest of the way. I hope we can meet again in the state semi s but both teams have a bunch of work to do before we get to that point
[/quote]

Didn't Ironton turned it over on downs at the Burg 1 foot line is the second half? To say they didn't cross the30 is inaccurate.

If Ironton's performance did anything it served notice to the OVC they WILL be a BIG factor in that conferences race.

bigdogtaz
Waterboy

Post by bigdogtaz »

Understand the enthusiasm of Ironton fans but be real although talented the burg showed the weakness of youth, take nothing away but they are not as of yet the same caliber team of last year , my take the burgs early 3 scores made them overconfident and made for a better showing for Ironton, the only good drive the tigers had was when the burg was doing a lot of subbing on D and when it was first and goal on the 7 with the backs they had couldn't get it in, my take Burg needs to be able to keep up their intensity and focus no matter the score, Ironton although improved not there yet

Pickoff42
Waterboy

Post by Pickoff42 »

Great win last night for the Burg. A few things to work out before next week, but I'm sure they'll be fine and play a great game up in Columbus.

Ironton impressed me. The scoreboard didn't show it, but it is obvious they are in the weight room, conditioning is better, tackling and overall team play is better. Carrico impressed me. It may not happen this year, but from what I witnessed Coach Pendleton will have them back in the playoffs in no time.

Good luck rest of the way Tigers. Go Burg!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I have not read anything since the game last night. so I'm curious if my thoughts are a true reflection of those people's that were able to go to the game. with burg getting a pick 6 on our like 2nd play. and then scoring on their second play from scrimmage. before ironton could blink they were down 14 points. I felt like listening that the fighting tiger defense was in the burg backfield quite often, were forcing some plays to get stopped in the backfield. I feel like we held holden well in check as a stud receiver at 6''6'' that is being heavily recruited at basketball and football. ironton had way too many penalties that aided burg in continuing drives. but that is to be expected by this poster. just judging by the burg posts here on seops, burg was playing their last scrimmage game last night before the real season started. and burg was gonna name their score, have the reserves in the whole second half, and by the 2nd quarter, they were to have a running clock on the young fighting tigers. I expected some penalties from the tigers because of posts like these, and the young men being too jacked for this game to finally get here, 1st game under a new coach, playing the defending state champs. knowing they'd have to have their best effort. that shows me fire and aggression, and willingness to be ready to rock. it was only 21-0 heading into the locker room when ironton got their lone td right before the whistle. ironton had another shot at a score when a drive got stopped on the 1. had ironton somehow scored there and somehow got a 2 point conversion, you'd be talking about a 1 score defecit. then burg drove it 99 yards and got their final td. and the game ended at 28-6 burg. carrico had right at 100 yards rushing for the tigers, granted we were held in check a lot offensively, the defense I think played a great game. nobody would have thought we'd have had a 100 yard rusher in my opinion. and there was no running clock or reserves in at the half. coach Pendleton and his staff showed me a lot. down 14 to 0, early in the 1st qrt. inside their own 30 they went for it on 4th n 1. and converted. so you knew the fighting tigers were there to play big boy ball. and went for it on a fake punt that was nearly converted for a 1st. so they were not in awe of anyone, they were playing to win. nobody on that team or staff is into moral victories, but in many ways it was. they stood toe to toe with the defending state champs and never gave up. that shows me several things. the coaches are serious, will take chances, have a pretty solid defense, and should be able to have a successful run game this year. we missed a lot of tackles. and our oline has to give our qb more time to operate. but they won't be playing burg every week either. so I feel this went about how I thought it would go. I thought ironton would lose a reasonably close game, and they did. nothing to hang your head about playing the defending state champions in my opinion, but a loss non the less. --------------------- so with that said. I'm confident coach Pendleton will remind them Monday through Thursday that you have to pay hard for a loss. get them coached up and ready to travel to Russell, ky. and get ready to play the red devils. a coaches best work is generally done between week 1 and week 2. especially if week 1 was a loss. this poster here is proud of the effort by the players, and the determination of the staff. and I see this year going much different for the fighting tigers, and the new staff. hold your heads high tigers and fans. this was a statement that these guys are serious. ----------------- and congratulations to the burg pirates. I think the seies is like 17-13 in favor of the fighting tigers as we speak. we have a rivalry back guys. and this series should be hotly contested now for the forseeable future. I'd love to see these 2 teams meet back up in week 14. but good luck to wheelersbug going forward, and good luck to them next week. YTB.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: WK1 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Penguin wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:03 pm How’s Coach Pendleton feeling ?
I KNOW HE HAS PNUEMONNIA.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Always interesting reading comments after the first game played by a team coming off of a Monster season.

It would be a better comparison if you compared this Wheelersburg team to last years team after 1 game played by both. And this year Ironton was a legitimate test.

Great job by Ironton and their staff and community on having proper expectations. I never thought I would see the day — on here especially— when Ironton people took a 28-6 loss and came away with positives. And they should!! Very good stuff.

Wheelersburg has things to work on and etc. Thats how everyone should feel after week 1. It’s a long season. Woodward has his program in a place where people are worried or speculating after beating Ironton 28-6!! That is a very high standard. Well done.

Look forward to both these teams improving.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Wheelersburg may be more explosive on offense this year and they were good last year. But Wheelersburg won the State title because of defense. They didn't score alot of points in the semis and finals.

The problem playing Wheelersburg last year was you couldn't run the ball because of Carmichael and the DLine. When teams can't established any running game it makes you so one dimensional and your time of possession is so short, that your defense is wore out. I think that's what you seen in this game, even though Wheelersburg is better offensively, your offense having some success makes your defense better because they see some momentum from the offense and they aren't exhausted.

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

Burg better find a way to establish the run against the upgraded nonconference competition.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I said way back when when Pendleton was hired that Ironton's expectations should be to: Change the culture and compete in Week 1, win a league championship and put themselves in a position to be in the playoffs. Incremental steps.

Fair to say Ironton put a checkmark next to the cultural change and competing last night. Congrats to the Ironton staff I believe this rivalry is about to have some intensity again.

Burg played a good team and handled them at the end of the day.

Congrats to both teams, big Week 2 games for both schools coming up.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:27 am I have not read anything since the game last night. so I'm curious if my thoughts are a true reflection of those people's that were able to go to the game. with burg getting a pick 6 on our like 2nd play. and then scoring on their second play from scrimmage. before ironton could blink they were down 14 points. I felt like listening that the fighting tiger defense was in the burg backfield quite often, were forcing some plays to get stopped in the backfield. I feel like we held holden well in check as a stud receiver at 6''6'' that is being heavily recruited at basketball and football. ironton had way too many penalties that aided burg in continuing drives. but that is to be expected by this poster. just judging by the burg posts here on seops, burg was playing their last scrimmage game last night before the real season started. and burg was gonna name their score, have the reserves in the whole second half, and by the 2nd quarter, they were to have a running clock on the young fighting tigers. I expected some penalties from the tigers because of posts like these, and the young men being too jacked for this game to finally get here, 1st game under a new coach, playing the defending state champs. knowing they'd have to have their best effort. that shows me fire and aggression, and willingness to be ready to rock. it was only 21-0 heading into the locker room when ironton got their lone td right before the whistle. ironton had another shot at a score when a drive got stopped on the 1. had ironton somehow scored there and somehow got a 2 point conversion, you'd be talking about a 1 score defecit. then burg drove it 99 yards and got their final td. and the game ended at 28-6 burg. carrico had right at 100 yards rushing for the tigers, granted we were held in check a lot offensively, the defense I think played a great game. nobody would have thought we'd have had a 100 yard rusher in my opinion. and there was no running clock or reserves in at the half. coach Pendleton and his staff showed me a lot. down 14 to 0, early in the 1st qrt. inside their own 30 they went for it on 4th n 1. and converted. so you knew the fighting tigers were there to play big boy ball. and went for it on a fake punt that was nearly converted for a 1st. so they were not in awe of anyone, they were playing to win. nobody on that team or staff is into moral victories, but in many ways it was. they stood toe to toe with the defending state champs and never gave up. that shows me several things. the coaches are serious, will take chances, have a pretty solid defense, and should be able to have a successful run game this year. we missed a lot of tackles. and our oline has to give our qb more time to operate. but they won't be playing burg every week either. so I feel this went about how I thought it would go. I thought ironton would lose a reasonably close game, and they did. nothing to hang your head about playing the defending state champions in my opinion, but a loss non the less. --------------------- so with that said. I'm confident coach Pendleton will remind them Monday through Thursday that you have to pay hard for a loss. get them coached up and ready to travel to Russell, ky. and get ready to play the red devils. a coaches best work is generally done between week 1 and week 2. especially if week 1 was a loss. this poster here is proud of the effort by the players, and the determination of the staff. and I see this year going much different for the fighting tigers, and the new staff. hold your heads high tigers and fans. this was a statement that these guys are serious. ----------------- and congratulations to the burg pirates. I think the seies is like 17-13 in favor of the fighting tigers as we speak. we have a rivalry back guys. and this series should be hotly contested now for the forseeable future. I'd love to see these 2 teams meet back up in week 14. but good luck to wheelersbug going forward, and good luck to them next week. YTB.
Ironton dropped 7 in to coverage. Most of the night. Irontons Dline did get some penetration but the LBs were the difference makers for Ironton. They will win some games this year.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think Pendleton and his Tigers earned some respect.
I didn't think it would be that close.
Congratulations to the Burg on the win and congratulations to Ironton for showing up and playing hard.
I see good things happening in Tiger country.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Really proud to be a Fighting Tiger today. I knew the Tigers would show up and play with pride. Ironton is a very young team. Only have something like 6 seniors and I’m not sure if all of them even play. I do know Carrico is only a sophomore. They’re Sophomore class has a chance to be something special. I told you guys I’m not sure Holden would be the best athlete on the field. Carrico could be a division 1 football player with his size, speed and physicality. I hope these two make deep playoff runs and play again. I wouldn’t want to play the Tigers late in the season. They were stopping Wheelersburg with a 3-4 Defense and most of time only had 5 in the box. You take away the turnover and blown coverage early in the game and I’m not sure Ironton doesn’t beat them. Total yardage was close if you take away the last drive where they picked up 70 yards running out the clock. I think Wheelersburg knew they were in a fight last night. Both teams were flat laying the wood to each other. Ironton is very young with many guys getting their first real game experience. Hats off to Coach Pendleton and staff for changing the Culture. Not easy to do in 4 months. Once again proud to be a Fighting Tiger fan.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TOUGH wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 pm Really proud to be a Fighting Tiger today. I knew the Tigers would show up and play with pride. Ironton is a very young team. Only have something like 6 seniors and I’m not sure if all of them even play. I do know Carrico is only a sophomore. They’re Sophomore class has a chance to be something special. I told you guys I’m not sure Holden would be the best athlete on the field. Carrico could be a division 1 football player with his size, speed and physicality. I hope these two make deep playoff runs and play again. I wouldn’t want to play the Tigers late in the season. They were stopping Wheelersburg with a 3-4 Defense and most of time only had 5 in the box. You take away the turnover and blown coverage early in the game and I’m not sure Ironton doesn’t beat them. Total yardage was close if you take away the last drive where they picked up 70 yards running out the clock. I think Wheelersburg knew they were in a fight last night. Both teams were flat laying the wood to each other. Ironton is very young with many guys getting their first real game experience. Hats off to Coach Pendleton and staff for changing the Culture. Not easy to do in 4 months. Once again proud to be a Fighting Tiger fan.
You could also say that ironton was pretty much held with no yards if you take away the yards from the Hail Mary. Ironton had two drives the entire game both ending with zero points. Ironton was much improved but we shouldn’t play the what ifs

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

How many drives did Wheelersburg have? They got short fields after short fields and struggled to move the ball. Coach said it best this morning. It took awhile for the young guys to believe but once they did they were playing right with if not better than the state champs. I hope we play again. I think the Tigers hope to play them again.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:06 am Wheelersburg may be more explosive on offense this year and they were good last year. But Wheelersburg won the State title because of defense. They didn't score alot of points in the semis and finals.

The problem playing Wheelersburg last year was you couldn't run the ball because of Carmichael and the DLine. When teams can't established any running game it makes you so one dimensional and your time of possession is so short, that your defense is wore out. I think that's what you seen in this game, even though Wheelersburg is better offensively, your offense having some success makes your defense better because they see some momentum from the offense and they aren't exhausted.
The defense gave up 6 points on a Hail Mary. Ironton had one long 80 yard drive that ended on the pirate one. The defense was what won the game for them. SMH. Irontons defense was the reason for the low score. They did a great job in pursuit and kept the long ball in front of them.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TOUGH wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:45 pm How many drives did Wheelersburg have? They got short fields after short fields and struggled to move the ball. Coach said it best this morning. It took awhile for the young guys to believe but once they did they were playing right with if not better than the state champs. I hope we play again. I think the Tigers hope to play them again.
44 plays for burg 326 yards
47 plays for ironton 232 yards. 40 were run plays

Return to “Football”