Nelsonville-York High School Athletic Hall of Fame announces first ever class

NYBuckeye96
Freshman Starter

Nelsonville-York High School Athletic Hall of Fame announces first ever class

Post by NYBuckeye96 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:55 pm

The NYHS Athletic Hall of Fame Committee is pleased to announce the first class of inductees. Congratulations to all! Hall of Fame events will take place on Thursday, September 7, and Friday, September 8. More details will be announced shortly.

Student-Athletes:
Mike Bishop
David Boston, Jr.
Amy Dixon
Curt Gail
Justin Gail
Kristen Inman Heitkamp
Greg Jones
Whitney Maiden
Brian Mays
Ben Robey
Tom Taggart
Matt Yinger

Coaches:
David Boston, Sr. (Football)
Virgil Grandy (Basketball)
Thomas McLaughlin (Wrestling)

Contributors:
Joe and Betty Edwards

Teams:
1967 Nelsonville High School Baseball Team (State Champs, Class A)
1981 NYHS Football Team (State Champs, Division IV)

Orange and Brown
All State

Re: Nelsonville-York High School Athletic Hall of Fame announces first ever class

Post by Orange and Brown » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:14 pm

I was going to post this but I figured you would so I waited to be sure lol
2017 TVC CHAMPS!!! :mrgreen:

ArmChairQB
Freshman Starter

Re: Nelsonville-York High School Athletic Hall of Fame announces first ever class

Post by ArmChairQB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:58 pm

First of all... why did it take so long? And What's the criteria?
Second.... who picked these inductees?
I can't argue against any of these people. They are all deserving.However 17 seems like a big number. And they sure are missing a few athletes. How about the State champion RB. How about a 4 time state placer and state wrestling champion? And If Robey is there then Edwards definitely should be too.

Orange and Brown
All State

Post by Orange and Brown » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:19 pm

ArmChairQB wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:58 pm
First of all... why did it take so long? And What's the criteria?
Second.... who picked these inductees?
I can't argue against any of these people. They are all deserving.However 17 seems like a big number. And they sure are missing a few athletes. How about the State champion RB. How about a 4 time state placer and state wrestling champion? And If Robey is there then Edwards definitely should be too.
Nominations​ can be submitted to them and we're from the community.
The first class is so large because they are basically trying to play catch up. I would imagine the next few classes will be large.
2017 TVC CHAMPS!!! :mrgreen:

Raider6309
All State

Post by Raider6309 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:12 pm

1951-1952 Nelsonville State Runner up basketball team?

Go Bucks
Waterboy

Post by Go Bucks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:27 pm

I believe you go onto school website​ and find guidelines. I believe you have to be out of school for 10 years. But I'm not 100% sure on all the details. It's just about time. Happy for all those involved. Plz nominate so all of our athletes can get recognized​ and be given this chance. It's a start.

NYBuckeye96
Freshman Starter

Post by NYBuckeye96 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:18 am

https://www.athensmessenger.com/sports/ ... 6be98.html
Nelsonville-York announces first HOF class

By Kevin Wiseman Messenger sports editor Jun 1, 2017

Nearly 50 years after officially opening its doors, Nelsonville-York High School now has its first hall of fame class.

The Nelsonville-York High School Athletic Hall of Fame announced its first class on Wednesday. The initial class includes student-athletes, coaches, community contributors and teams.

“It’s been exciting to assist in the establishment of the Nelsonville-York High School Athletic Hall of Fame,” said Elizabeth Jones, president of the hall of fame committee, in a statement. “NYHS and its legacy schools have a strong tradition of athletic excellence. We hope the creation of the hall of fame will not only allow us to recognize and honor the past, but also serve as an inspiration for future generations of Buckeye athletes.”

The athletes that are being inducted, with their graduation years listed, are as follows:

Mike Bishop (1983), David Boston, Jr. (1981), Amy Dixon (1985), Curt Gail (1974), Justin Gail (1995), Kristen Inman Heitkamp (1994), Greg Jones (1984), Whitney Maiden (2005), Brian Mays (1982), Ben Robey (1999), Tom Taggart (1983) and Matt Yinger (1989).

Coaches that are being inducted are David Boston, Sr. (football), Virgil Grandy (basketball) and Thomas McLaughlin (wrestling).

Contributors that will be honored in the first class are Joe and Betty Edwards.

Finally, two state championship teams will get inducted. The 1967 Nelsonville Greyhounds baseball team, Class A state champions as well as the Nelsonville-York 1981 Division IV state champion football will be honored.

The first class will be celebrated on Sept. 7 and 8, 2017. A formal induction will take place at the school on Thursday, Sept. 7. The members will be introduced the next day at the Buckeyes’ home football game against Minford.

Nominations for the 2018 class are being accepted. Nomination forms can be obtained at the school, the school’s athletic page website or the NYHS Athletic Hall of Fame Facebook page.

Ground Buck
JV Backup

Post by Ground Buck » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:55 pm

I can't believe Kirk Grandy and Pitt Stop Billy aren't on this list. Two icons and should be duly recognized. And how about the Cadillac? Has anyone ever done more than he has? :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
2nd Team All State

Post by 93Bulldog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:20 am

Next year I'd like to see Derek Arnold added ...

The (10-0) 1992 football team - for team ...

Tony Breeze would be another I'd like to see added. Great football player!

Kim Kline

OSU22
Waterboy

Post by OSU22 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:43 pm

Arnold still has a few years until he's eligible. Must be out of school 10 years for an athlete.

Some others I'd like to see are BRAD Woodson, Jordan Bateman, 52' runners up basketball team (NHS) and a couple teams in the 90's that Meade had that were regional runners up and I think there was a Savage in the mid 80's that was a great athlete, his youngn's graduated over the hill in glouster.

It wouldn't surprise me if the athletes that just graduated and will graduate next year don't go in as soon as they're eligible. Edwards, Andrews, mount, cook, lent. Very good athletes

93Bulldog
2nd Team All State

Post by 93Bulldog » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:46 am

OSU22 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:43 pm
Arnold still has a few years until he's eligible. Must be out of school 10 years for an athlete.

Some others I'd like to see are BRAD Woodson, Jordan Bateman, 52' runners up basketball team (NHS) and a couple teams in the 90's that Meade had that were regional runners up and I think there was a Savage in the mid 80's that was a great athlete, his youngn's graduated over the hill in glouster.

It wouldn't surprise me if the athletes that just graduated and will graduate next year don't go in as soon as they're eligible. Edwards, Andrews, mount, cook, lent. Very good athletes
Chad was a great athlete as was his younger brother Heath Savage.

Raider6309
All State

Post by Raider6309 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Didn't MLB Estel Crabtree play for Nelsonville?

NYBuckeye96
Freshman Starter

Post by NYBuckeye96 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:13 pm

I don't know if this would count since it wasn't an NY team, but there were NYHS kids on the 1987 Athens County Stars baseball team that won the Senior League World Series. They were all 14 and 15 years old and were the first team from the Central Region to win the Senior League World Series in Kissimmee, Florida.

OSU22
Waterboy

Post by OSU22 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Wow that sounds pretty cool, but idk if they would qualify.

93Bulldog
2nd Team All State

Post by 93Bulldog » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 pm

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:13 pm
I don't know if this would count since it wasn't an NY team, but there were NYHS kids on the 1987 Athens County Stars baseball team that won the Senior League World Series. They were all 14 and 15 years old and were the first team from the Central Region to win the Senior League World Series in Kissimmee, Florida.

We are doing a show tuesday night on the sportsfan about that team with both coaches, Fred Gibson & don skurlock.

Dave Cline from NY was a pretty good pitcher on the 87 world series team.

Pitstop Billy
Waterboy

Post by Pitstop Billy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Ground Buck wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:55 pm
I can't believe Kirk Grandy and Pitt Stop Billy aren't on this list. Two icons and should be duly recognized. And how about the Cadillac? Has anyone ever done more than he has? :mrgreen:
I have been an integral part of Buckeye football but if selected I would be honored.....

... to supply the beer for the after party

Pitstop Billy
Waterboy

Post by Pitstop Billy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Just remember this. I didnt do all that stuff alone. That was a magical time in school history and i doubt we see anything like it again anytime soon. We really need the PE teacher to at least serve the new staff as a consultant.

Ground Buck
JV Backup

Post by Ground Buck » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Pitstop Billy wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:35 pm
Just remember this. I didnt do all that stuff alone. That was a magical time in school history and i doubt we see anything like it again anytime soon. We really need the PE teacher to at least serve the new staff as a consultant.
As manager of the now defunct Pit Stop for many years Billy with all that business did for NY athletics you are a shoe in. Not to mention that any volunteer coach who looks like a light bulb would have to be considered. :mrgreen:

Now how about the Cadillac?

Dirty Sanchez
Waterboy

Post by Dirty Sanchez » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 am

Ground Buck wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm
Pitstop Billy wrote:
As manager of the now defunct Pit Stop for many years Billy with all that business did for NY athletics you are a shoe in. Not to mention that any volunteer coach who looks like a light bulb would have to be considered. :mrgreen:

How about Ground Buck? You are a local legend aren't you? Do you remember crashing through the window? :shock: :mrgreen:

Ground Buck
JV Backup

Post by Ground Buck » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:31 am

Dirty Sanchez wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 am
Ground Buck wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm
Pitstop Billy wrote:

How about Ground Buck? You are a local legend aren't you? Do you remember crashing through the window? :shock: :mrgreen:
Sanchez,

Are you keeping your gig as the AD at Trimble or are you coming over to coach Jr High for your buddy? I heard the Jr High needs a DC, and your name has been thrown around. :mrgreen: