2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

Noitall
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth Football Coach

Post by Noitall »

Portsmouth98 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm I think he is referring to the 16-17 season as 17 since the bulk of the schedule would have been played during the 2017 calendar year.

You sir are correct, its not that hard.

To make it easier, if there is already 8 records posted for 8 years,then this season, although it does start in 2017 , like each year it will run into and the bulk of the season will be 2018.

Don't know coach Collins personally, but he has don't a wonderful job since taking over and I'm sure he will credit that to the great coaches he has around him.

One of the most unrecognized staffs in seo.

The new football coach needs to take notes and put good knowledgeable coaches around him ,it takes more then a good head coach.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Noitall wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 am
Portsmouth98 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm I think he is referring to the 16-17 season as 17 since the bulk of the schedule would have been played during the 2017 calendar year.

To make it easier, if there is already 8 records posted for 8 years,then this season, although it does start in 2017 , like each year it will run into and the bulk of the season will be 2018.

Don't know coach Collins personally, but he has don't a wonderful job since taking over and I'm sure he will credit that to the great coaches he has around him.

The new football coach needs to take notes and put good knowledgeable coaches around him ,it takes more then a good head coach.
That’s the problem a new coach can’t put coaches around him because the school won’t get rid of all of Clifford’s cronys. Portsmouth needs a clean slate to right the ship.

langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

bleed_blue wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am
Noitall wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 am

That’s the problem a new coach can’t put coaches around him because the school won’t get rid of all of Clifford’s cronys. Portsmouth needs a clean slate to right the ship.
Aaron brought in 2 Portsmouth alum that played there this year but I think they have already had there feel of the BS also

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Train wreck is what Portsmouth football is. Not saying Sparks or Duncan were the answer to changing things around but neither had a fair chance. Half of the staff were with Clifford, coach the same way they always have, parents trying to coach too. These guys didn't go 10-0 after having just 2 years and they get the boot. It's going to take time, need some consistency. If I'm a middle school football player do I want to go play for Portsmouth who has a new coach every 2 years that I won't be able to build a connection with, and possibly have to learn several different play books etc. or do I transfer out? Sad situation going on, yet I'll be there next Fall to support whoever is coaching and the players on the field!

Who Dey!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Well there's different ways to evaluate coaches I for one am not big on purely evaluating a coach based off wins and losses. Early on with a new coaching staff one needs to give them a little time obviously. Need to see the improvement in players from the off-season all the way throughout the season, if you've got a staff that simply isn't improving from start to finish that is a red flag for me. Overall player participation if a new coaching staff comes in and connects with the kids and you see an increase in numbers is a good sign the kids are connecting with the new coach and want to come out and play. Coaches need to be able to adapt and make adjustments throughout the season and throughout each game which is something that can be seen even by the casual spectator. Getting kids not to give up on a season and keeping them motivated as well as getting them into the off-season weight lifting program and having them there on a regular basis is just another way. I played for a coach that other players/kids didn't like and we lost out on a lot of quality players because they simply wouldn't play for him and some on his staff as well. If you can find a guy and can assemble a coaching staff that can pull together all or most of the traits above the wins will come. However, you can't hire a coach and keep his hands tied by politics and higher ups wanting things done more their way.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Well said and I hope the Ironton people look at your post and see why I have the concerns about their program.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm Whoever the next coach is needs to revamp the entire program from peewee on up. If the numbers were true that has been posted on here for 5th/6th grades then a self contained peewee league needs to be started. IMO playing other schools at this age is kind of foolish. Play each other, teach the basics, and run a simplified scheme of what the varsity runs. This is the time for all the reps a kid can get, not beating another school with only a small number of kids on you team getting to play. You do not get better by standing on the sidelines. Being undefeated in peewee doesn't mean anything. The lower age programs are supposed to be feeders for the varsity program. Burg's peewee teams play only each other and run a simplified varsity package. Once they get to jr high, more is added to that package. Eventually when they become a senior they are starting their 8th year running the same package. Consistency is just one of the keys to success.
Makes sense to me, I believe Irontin either does or did have a similar set up. I believe it has been brought up at Portsmouth in the past.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I’m happy for Aaron Duncan —- he doesn’t need this circus. The Shame for Portsmouth High School is they won’t find a better person to be their head coach. But, good to see Aaron get out of that position.

Good luck to PHS.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Im proud for AD as well, he came in and gave it his all, tough situation from the beginning.......In 1978 the Trojans were 0-10, We brought in Bob Shaffer and in 6 years, he had the Trojans in the State semi-finals, different era different kids, but it does not have to take forever, especially in a smaller level with different competition.......Once a Trojan always a Trojan

theair77
Waterboy

Post by theair77 »

Do we conformation on this job being open or is just hersay?

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

PTrojan59 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:31 pm Train wreck is what Portsmouth football is. Not saying Sparks or Duncan were the answer to changing things around but neither had a fair chance. Half of the staff were with Clifford, coach the same way they always have, parents trying to coach too. These guys didn't go 10-0 after having just 2 years and they get the boot. It's going to take time, need some consistency. If I'm a middle school football player do I want to go play for Portsmouth who has a new coach every 2 years that I won't be able to build a connection with, and possibly have to learn several different play books etc. or do I transfer out? Sad situation going on, yet I'll be there next Fall to support whoever is coaching and the players on the field!
This coach did not get the boot ,he resigned on his own,in no way he was getting fired this was his job until HE wanted to leave .

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

That is what I have heard also maybe he was over his head. If so, I give him credit for recognizing his short comings to benefit the kids.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Game day wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am That is what I have heard also maybe he was over his head. If so, I give him credit for recognizing his short comings to benefit the kids.
Or maybe he realized he wasn’t and wouldn’t be getting the support he needed to turn the program into the program everyone wants

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

JTEK wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 am
Game day wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am That is what I have heard also maybe he was over his head. If so, I give him credit for recognizing his short comings to benefit the kids.
Or maybe he realized he wasn’t and wouldn’t be getting the support he needed to turn the program into the program everyone wants
With no support from the school and allowing Clifford’s leftovers stick around no one is going to be able to turn things around in ptown.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Clean house maybe the other coaches don't like it but when the money runs dry from a lack of attendance something will change.

morganjones
Riding the Bench

Post by morganjones »

I hear that a coach who originally came from a couple counties east of Portsmouth is the front-runner.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

morganjones wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:53 pm I hear that a coach who originally came from a couple counties east of Portsmouth is the front-runner.
have they posted the job?

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Prime Time wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 pm Question. Where does a A D come in to play with decisions such as these. If you keep repeating the same old as far as hiring shouldn’t there be a change in the decision making process to hire these Coach’s. just a thought here. Something needs changed there.
Depends on the school board and control factor. Some the AD decides. Some AD an a few others decide. Some the school board will tell the AD what they will do as the school board decides on who to hire and when to fire the AD. This can go in various combinations depending on the district as well as the Superintendent. The power struggle and political struggles over just hiring the best qualified to get the job done.

loyal
Waterboy

Post by loyal »

Didn't get the boot. Resigned. Has kids he wants to watch play. Not coach. No controversy that way. Coach put everything into bringing back discipline and respect to program. In better shape than when he got it for sure!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

This is an extremely important hire for the Portsmouth City Schools administration. This is because our football program really hasn't come back yet to being competitive against teams with winning records the last 2 seasons (only 1 win vs. teams with winning records--Rock Hill in 2016). Attendance dropped off noticeably the last half of the season in 2017 after a poor start, which cost PHS in the pocketbook and fewer people at the concession stands. The dropping of Wheelersburg off the schedule was embarrassing to this proud alumnus of Portsmouth HS, and to many others whom I have talked to. It also cost PHS a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$ since the Pirates are the Trojans biggest gate game. We were shutout by Galion, travelling 3-4 hours up the road, when we could have walked across the street to play Wheelersburg and at least got to fill our pocketbooks and kept our self-respect at the same time.

If the administration whiffs on this hire, then a trickle down effect will be felt at the gate, at the number of kids participating, continued struggles in the OVC, and a playoff drought that will extend beyond the current 10 years.

Many eyes are watching and many ears are listening.

Return to “Football”