Coal Grove Hornets Football 2018

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Re: Coal Grove Hornets Football 2018

Post by Fattseycline »

pistol wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:59 pm The phrase clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose comes to mind. Are the players looking at the end result as a TEAM or are they worrying what the stat sheet says. Are they playing as a TEAM or playing for individual glory. If they aren’t doing things to benefit the TEAM they CAN’T WIN!
We have to keep our cool and stop having so many dumb penalties we absolutely killed ourselfs with that! Season could go either way real good or really bad up to the kids on how they want to respond!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

This week will determine the rest of the season. We will be facing the fastest running back we will face all year. If the Grove can stop Portsmouth and come out of that game with a W then there may be some hope. If the Hornets lose this game then to me I truly believe we are looking at 3-7.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

ravensfan09 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 am Coal Grove loses the Center (52), Both Guards (50/55), and Both Ends (1/5). 5 of the 7 O-Linemen. They also lose the WB (15) and FB (34) backfield. So, offensively they return 4 starters (Both Tackles (58/53),QB (8), and RB (12)

Defensively, they lose the NG(77), Both Defensive Tackles (52/50), 1 Defensive End (5), Both Linebackers(1/34), and both corners (15/3). So, defensively they will return 3 starters Both Safeties (23/8) and a DE (2).

Thats more than 3-4 starters, but we will see. Hope they can boost their schedule. Maybe pick up a good team week 1.
Could this earlier Post have possibly been a telling sign as to what to expect this year? Looks to me as if you lost an awful lot of starters from last year.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Vette that has been my concern. Our o line hasn't truly been able to open holes and the defense, besides River Valley hasn't been able to control the other teams rushing game and in some games both rushing and passing.

I want the Grove to succeed but I have a feeling this is the beginning of a very dark time for Coal Grove football.

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

2trap_4ever wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:21 pm Vette that has been my concern. Our o line hasn't truly been able to open holes and the defense, besides River Valley hasn't been able to control the other teams rushing game and in some games both rushing and passing.

I want the Grove to succeed but I have a feeling this is the beginning of a very dark time for Coal Grove football.
Not sure I believe in a dark time is coming. A few key defensive plays against West and Peake and we would be 5-0. However the senios need to take ownership of this season and I think a strong finish is still possible.
I am happy to learn that the JV team had wins against Rock Hill and Portsmouth West. The freshman and Sophomores that are playing now are learning from this staff and obviously buying in getting wins they may have missed in Jr. High.
What we need is a community effort from current players, past ones and parents to encourage more participation which is needed when you are the smallest school in the OVC. The Jr. High has 34 kids which is encouraging but it is those first two years in HS where they learn that prepares them for their time leading the Hornets varsity to victory. Not saying this team is missing a lot of players that aren't currently playing but for CG to compete in a conference of bigger schools participation from all athletes is needed. I know all coaches were multi-sport athletes and can tell the stories of why they had more fun times playing all sports.
I can always say that I am Proud of how many kids participate in fall sports at CG. Just look at Friday Nights as examples with our football team size, band size and cheerleading squad numbers. As a community we need to keep encouraging participation so our kids can have the memories we had and that we share with our kids and those that want to listen on Seops.
I Believe in this Team, I Believe in our Coaches and I Believe in this Community and I Believe that we can continue to come together and be a Division 6 football powerhouse that others want to be a part of.
Go Big Grove!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

CGFAN#1 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:50 pm
2trap_4ever wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:21 pm Vette that has been my concern. Our o line hasn't truly been able to open holes and the defense, besides River Valley hasn't been able to control the other teams rushing game and in some games both rushing and passing.

Not sure I believe in a dark time is coming. A few key defensive plays against West and Peake and we would be 5-0. However the senios need to take ownership of this season and I think a strong finish is still possible.
I am happy to learn that the JV team had wins against Rock Hill and Portsmouth West. The freshman and Sophomores that are playing now are learning from this staff and obviously buying in getting wins they may have missed in Jr. High.
What we need is a community effort from current players, past ones and parents to encourage more participation which is needed when you are the smallest school in the OVC. The Jr. High has 34 kids which is encouraging but it is those first two years in HS where they learn that prepares them for their time leading the Hornets varsity to victory. Not saying this team is missing a lot of players that aren't currently playing but for CG to compete in a conference of bigger schools participation from all athletes is needed. I know all coaches were multi-sport athletes and can tell the stories of why they had more fun times playing all sports.
I can always say that I am Proud of how many kids participate in fall sports at CG. Just look at Friday Nights as examples with our football team size, band size and cheerleading squad numbers. As a community we need to keep encouraging participation so our kids can have the memories we had and that we share with our kids and those that want to listen on Seops.
I Believe in this Team, I Believe in our Coaches and I Believe in this Community and I Believe that we can continue to come together and be a Division 6 football powerhouse that others want to be a part of.
Go Big Grove!
Great Post! I really believe that you are a great supporter of the Coal Grove Hornets.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

I’m certainly not acting like the sky is falling. Neither should the players. A loss like we experienced Friday could be what this team needed to wake them up. We have a great coaching staff, we have a great group of players, and we have a good group of seniors. Time to get to work on Monday and get better and improve for Portsmouth and I believe this team will do it.

As for the comment on how this could be a start of dark times for Coal Grove football. I don’t necessarily believe that. I think they’ll finish this year strong and next year we return the entire offensive line, and some key players on defense. Plus the JV has been playing really well. High school football is all about development and this staff can develop football players.

Looking forward to Friday!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Time will tell. It is all up to the players to decide this. I hope to see them come out the rest of the season with fire and fury and shock the world, I hope to see that. What I am afraid I will see is more weak defense and stupid penalties. I would love for this team to prove me wrong, I just dont see it. I hope I am wrong.

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

We have to understand that we were spoiled somewhat last year was such a great season but I believe this team can have a very great season we just have to buckle down not pout and self misery and go onto the next game one game at a time. All programs have good years and bad years that’s just the way it is us as a community must step up like other sad and support the team yes there is a lot of mistakes being made especially penalties those absolutely have to stop!!!

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

2trap_4ever wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:03 am Time will tell. It is all up to the players to decide this. I hope to see them come out the rest of the season with fire and fury and shock the world, I hope to see that. What I am afraid I will see is more weak defense and stupid penalties. I would love for this team to prove me wrong, I just dont see it. I hope I am wrong.
You sound as if you don't have a lot of faith in the coaching staff to get these problems addressed. Maybe I'm incorrectly reading between the lines?

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I don't. If they could fix the problems they would have by now. Like I said in an earlier post we have played one half of really good defense (1st half against West), that's it. I also stated at the beginning of the season that the defense would be a problem and that is showing to be true. We let South Point score 14 points in the first half. They shouldn't have scored against us.

If the coaching staff reads this then prove me wrong. Against Peake I started to see some quit in our players. It's up to the coaching staff to fix this and to get this team ready. We will see what the rest of the season holds. Honestly, I believe we can win out, I just dont see it happening with the issues that this team has shown to have all year but really came out against Chesapeake.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Let me explain the above post a bit. I don't think this coaching staff can fix these problems due to last year. They got lucky and inherited a very talented team, add that with the fact that this is a young coaching staff it will take them some time to figure out how to fix the problems and correct issues. I don't want to sound like I am hoping for failure, on the contrary I hope the right people read this and get mad and show what Hornet football can be. Most of us remember what happen the last time coach Lucas "left" and came back. Those times in the middle were some not so fun times for Coal Grove football. I'm not saying we are getting there I just hope this coaching staff can figure it out, correct it, and make the necessary changes to make this a good season, and to continue the success for years to come.

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

Do you seriously think last year was luck? Do you really think that the previous coaching staffs could have made a deep playoff run with last years team?

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

You definitely can’t call last year “luck”. 11-2 and making it to the region 23 championship isn’t “luck” I think this coaching staff and group of kids will come out firing against Portsmouth. Also speaking of the last time “Lucas left” we didn’t win more than 4 games in a season once? We won 11 last year. So definitely not comparable. I fully believe that Coal Grove football is in a good place right now with coaching and I fully believe in the kids out on the field. They’ll bounce back. Time for us who support coal Grove athletics to fully “support” and rally behind theses kids. 3-2 might not be where we wanna be right now, but the sky definitely isn’t falling.

Go Big Grove!

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

Matt77 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 pm You definitely can’t call last year “luck”. 11-2 and making it to the region 23 championship isn’t “luck” I think this coaching staff and group of kids will come out firing against Portsmouth. Also speaking of the last time “Lucas left” we didn’t win more than 4 games in a season once? We won 11 last year. So definitely not comparable. I fully believe that Coal Grove football is in a good place right now with coaching and I fully believe in the kids out on the field. They’ll bounce back. Time for us who support coal Grove athletics to fully “support” and rally behind theses kids. 3-2 might not be where we wanna be right now, but the sky definitely isn’t falling.

Go Big Grove!
I agree 100%! If someone has been coaching 2 years or 50 there is always something to learn and improve on. You can only win so many games on talent alone so I disagree that last year was luck. In the last 10 years look how much talent Cg has let go to waste. We have had athletic linemen and good skill kids with numbers being consistently in the 60s. Last year we had 34 kids and went to the regional final. Beat ironton and yes I know they were not very good but we have lost to them before when they were not very good. As far as this year we absolutely have along way to go and it’s up to the kids and coaches to do their individual part to get things back on track!

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

2trap_4ever wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:15 am Let me explain the above post a bit. I don't think this coaching staff can fix these problems due to last year. They got lucky and inherited a very talented team, add that with the fact that this is a young coaching staff it will take them some time to figure out how to fix the problems and correct issues. I don't want to sound like I am hoping for failure, on the contrary I hope the right people read this and get mad and show what Hornet football can be. Most of us remember what happen the last time coach Lucas "left" and came back. Those times in the middle were some not so fun times for Coal Grove football. I'm not saying we are getting there I just hope this coaching staff can figure it out, correct it, and make the necessary changes to make this a good season, and to continue the success for years to come.
Luck. Wow. Many thought last years team would be 5-5 due to what they lost the year prior. The Great Coaching and player performance was not luck but hard work and heart.
That team won the close ones and this team will correct it as well. Yes we lost more than any other team in the OVC but we were in position to be 5-0 but plays need to be made.
As far as the few years prior to this staff CG was unbelievably loaded. This staff may have won the state with those teams.
As I said earlier community encouragement to get the numbers back near 50 is what is needed so that lessons can be taught to those players that may not be giving effort for a full game.
Again I Believe in the Players, I Believe in the Coaching, and I Believe in the Community. Small school with a big heart that always plays with edge.
Go Big Grove!

Fattseycline
Freshman Team

Post by Fattseycline »

CGFAN#1 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:58 pm
2trap_4ever wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:15 am Let me explain the above post a bit. I don't think this coaching staff can fix these problems due to last year. They got lucky and inherited a very talented team, add that with the fact that this is a young coaching staff it will take them some time to figure out how to fix the problems and correct issues. I don't want to sound like I am hoping for failure, on the contrary I hope the right people read this and get mad and show what Hornet football can be. Most of us remember what happen the last time coach Lucas "left" and came back. Those times in the middle were some not so fun times for Coal Grove football. I'm not saying we are getting there I just hope this coaching staff can figure it out, correct it, and make the necessary changes to make this a good season, and to continue the success for years to come.
Luck. Wow. Many thought last years team would be 5-5 due to what they lost the year prior. The Great Coaching and player performance was not luck but hard work and heart.
That team won the close ones and this team will correct it as well. Yes we lost more than any other team in the OVC but we were in position to be 5-0 but plays need to be made.
As far as the few years prior to this staff CG was unbelievably loaded. This staff may have won the state with those teams.
As I said earlier community encouragement to get the numbers back near 50 is what is needed so that lessons can be taught to those players that may not be giving effort for a full game.
Again I Believe in the Players, I Believe in the Coaching, and I Believe in the Community. Small school with a big heart that always plays with edge.
Go Big Grove!
Very true! I can say because I saw it today what effort was not given in the loss against peake was have at practice today! Coach is getting his plays back just hope we are a more in tune this week!

Stonewall89
Waterboy

Post by Stonewall89 »

Just want to say is that the OVC teams clear goal is to win the OVC. My goal for my team would be to win a state title! Same size schools in the division so why not them? Just a thought.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I think I just made my point on the game thread but let me do it here as well.

My biggest concern is the penalties. We have had a lot of flags on this year. We have also had to many unsportsmanlike calls against us that should have been cleaned up weeks ago but still has not. I know out team is not dirty but when you have so many of those calls against you I know refs are checking out play a little closer and waiting to throw a flag. This area needs to be cleaned up and coaching will do that if the coaching staff has taken this a priority to clean up. I want this team to succeed and, yes I do believe we have the talent to win out and have a chance of another OVC crown and playoffs. I just want to see this area and the defense cleaned up. We are coming onto the toughest stretch of games on our schedule, the defense has to be there in order to win, I just want to see this team come out for four quarters every game the rest of the season like they did for the West. If they do that then there is no worries. I just see things getting through that should not get through. Peake ran for over 200 yards, that should not have happened. South Point had two passing TD's against us, that should not have happened. The defense needs tightened up, that is all.

Offensively, we need better line play during running plays, but when a defense is loading up front waiting on the run then holes are going to be hard to come by. For me it is truly fixing the defense and getting rid of the stupid penalties.

Return to “Football”