Ohsaa proposal moving ALL playoff games to Friday.

indianabuck
All State

Ohsaa proposal moving ALL playoff games to Friday.

Post by indianabuck »

NBC 4 in Columbus reported this evening the OHSAA will be voting in June on moving ALL football playoff games to Friday night except for the State Championships. They say the games are better attended and they make more money. I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not. I can see both sides. Thoughts?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Ohsaa proposal moving ALL playoff games to Friday.

Post by Orange and Brown »

Just read this on line. It sucks for me as a fan because I like catching 2 games each week lok

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Darn college football. I like Saturday high school games

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

With some road trips over 3/sometimes 4 hours away in the first round because the higher rated team gets a home game. Saturday games make it easier for parents who work. As well as the teachers and students in the district. Without having to cancel school.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

Wait, it's about money not the kids?! Shocker lol

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

Gunga galunga … gunga, gunga-lagunga.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

Farmer,
lol So I got that going for me!

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

If this happens I look for it to only last a year or two, especially if they have trouble finding neutral sites because of schools who usually host playing that night also.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Regional games on a Friday would be impossible for schools. Trips could be several hours away. OHSAA makes crazy decisions. Like moving the State games away from Columbus. Columbus is 2 hours from any point in the state. If they vote yes they should have to be bus drivers for period of time.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

rxburgfan wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 pm Regional games on a Friday would be impossible for schools. Trips could be several hours away. OHSAA makes crazy decisions. Like moving the State games away from Columbus. Columbus is 2 hours from any point in the state. If they vote yes they should have to be bus drivers for period of time.
It can't be impossible, half of each weekends teams already play on Fridays. I can see having enough neutral sites in the 2nd round being a problem.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Carl Spackler wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:02 pm Farmer,
lol So I got that going for me!
What do you have going for you?

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

I also see a major problem with officiating. Gonna be some bad crews getting first round games with them all on one night!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Going to be crews that are not use to working together. Then add the pressure of a playoff game. As well as larger crowds. To even if the correct call fans from one side are upset that their season is now over.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Firebreather wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:56 pm I also see a major problem with officiating. Gonna be some bad crews getting first round games with them all on one night!
Officials only work one playoff game per week. Playing all the games on Friday wouldn't add more officials to the pool. The OHSAA does use officials to evaluate other officials so having all the games on one night would make this much more difficult.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Carl Spackler wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:12 am Wait, it's about money not the kids?! Shocker lol
i agree 100%. as puff daddy said in his song. it's all about the benjamins baby

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Post by Fred Flintstone »

Stupid move.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Money wise it would be smart to keep Friday and Saturday night games as people who love to watch good games will spend money both night.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I would like them to really work on cutting out 2 practices in one day.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

If OHSAA says they will make more money having all games on Friday they are crazy. I know too many people that go to two or three games each weekend​ during the play offs. I am one of them.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school- ... ate-finals
OHSAA football playoffs will be played on Friday nights until the state finals

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- All seven divisions of the Ohio high school football playoffs will be played on Friday nights this fall until the state finals in December.

The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors voted unanimously by a 9-0 vote to approve the formal proposal at its regularly scheduled meeting in Columbus this morning.

The OHSAA plans to send a formal news release regarding the postseason schedule and the regional format June 6.

WCPO.com first reported in April the OHSAA was looking into the possibility of having all seven divisions play on Friday nights since the 2016 playoffs’ attendance was the second-lowest since the tournament expanded to five rounds in 1999.

There was never a question that Division I would remain on Friday but the OHSAA considered changes to the six other divisions.

In 2016, Divisions III, V and VII games were on Saturday night. Yet the OHSAA found Saturday night games often conflict with college football and high school football attendance is primarily higher on Fridays around the state.

Prior to the 2016 season, the OHSAA approved a measure to move Division I playoff games to Friday. The Division I playoff games had been on Saturdays since 1980 except for a few occasions in 2001 and 2006.

Football is still the OHSAA’s largest revenue sport followed by boys basketball, girls basketball and soccer. There were 716 Ohio high school football teams in 2016.

The first day of official football practice is July 31. Regular-season games officially open Aug. 21. The playoff qualifiers are announced Oct. 29 and the playoffs begin Nov. 3.

The state championships will be held at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium (formerly Fawcett Stadium) in Canton Nov. 30 to Dec. 3. The state finals schedule will be announced after the state semifinals the weekend of Nov. 24.

The state football finals will remain in Canton in 2018. The OHSAA intends to return to Ohio Stadium in 2019.

Return to “Football”