I have an Idea!!!!!!!

JacksonMayor
Waterboy

I have an Idea!!!!!!!

Post by JacksonMayor »

Dear Superintendent Howard, Principal Hemsley and Athletic Director Kight,

My name is Randy Heath and my current primary job is mayor of the city of Jackson.

But all of my life has also been associated with high school athletics, from my sportswriting (currently president of the Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association) and broadcasting career, to the way many people know me as the person who provides all of the historical information for each boys and girls basketball team in the Southeast District for the boys and girls sectional and district tournament programs.

Obviously, with that level of interest in all of our district's schools, I want to see all of them and their athletes realize their highest possible potential, feel like they can realistically be champions and truly have that opportunity.

Clearly, the suggestion I am putting forth here is, in part, fueled by the situation my school of Jackson is facing with the demise of the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League. Jackson, along with Logan and Gallipolis, have been so very fortunate to have had the same athletic league home for 90 consecutive years, the only non-city league schools in the state to have that claim.

But Jackson, Logan and Warren, three of the signature schools of our area, are facing an extremely difficult uphill climb unless something can materialize very quickly.

As have many, I have closely watched the status of discussions regarding potential expansion of the Tri Valley Conference and how those talks have basically centered around just a few schools.

So when I recently thought about it myself, I wondered if there was some alternative formula or solution available in which a restructuring of the Tri Valley Conference could potentially benefit ALL of the current 16 schools in the conference plus others who could benefit as well from a potential expansion.

Ultimately, when I sincerely viewed it comprehensively, and how it potentially could positively affect all schools, not just a few, this was the possibility I arrived at:

Eight additional schools would be invited and accepted into the conference:

Crooksville, Fort Frye, Frontier, Gallipolis, Jackson, Logan, Marietta, Warren

The conference would then be divided into four six-team divisions:

SOUTHEASTERN - Athens, Gallipolis, Jackson, Logan, Marietta, Warren

OHIO - Alexander, Meigs, Nelsonville-York, River Valley, Vinton County, Wellston

HOCKING - Belpre, Crooksville, Federal Hocking, Fort Frye, Frontier, Trimble

VALLEY - Eastern, Miller, South Gallia, Southern, Wahama, Waterford

I think everyone would agree if Jackson had to go independent, it would be devastating to the Jackson program, in having trouble in filling the schedules, having to make long, long trips for non-league games, no championships to play for and no all-league honors for its deserving athletes.

This certainly would greatly benefit the Jackson athletic program.

If everyone looks at this from a distance with an open mind and how positive this could be for all of the schools for years to come, I sincerely hope then this proposal would truly earn at least the consideration of a yes or a no answer and as I do in my position of mayor, ask myself what are the true pros and cons of it from everyone's perspective and measure its merit from that standpoint.

The schools in each division are close to the same size and the mileage between the schools is reasonable or highly comparable to what they have now in most cases.

There is no one school that would dominate an entire division every year and no one school who could never compete for a title, each division would have the kind of balance that is truly what makes a great league for each and every school, not one who always is in first and another who usually brings up the rear.

In all honesty, the future of hundreds of athletes from across southern Ohio depend on the future decisions of the schools in the Tri Valley Conference.

Change for the sake of change is never warranted.

Conversely, though, having the courage to change for something better that could enrich the educational and school experience for all of our young people, giving them all a chance to truly call themselves champion, should never be summarily dismissed.

Because the attachments on my emails can be difficult for some to open, I have included a complete detailed outline of the pros and cons of this proposal along with the benefits to the potential incoming schools, enrollment and mileage figures and other information I hope you find useful.

While yes, I know the incredible benefits my community and school system would reap by the adoption of such a proposal, I have sincerely tried to view everything from how can it benefit all, not just a few. How can everyone be a winner when there is so much on the line?

I realize this is truly a game changer, but could it be one for the better of all involved? I expect there to be skepticism as there should be with any proposal of this nature that has such far reaching effects. But hopefully those concerns will not automatically block the opportunities that could lie ahead.

I am committed to doing whatever is needed for this to be fully explored and discussed, which is all a human being can ever ask. If any of you would want to discuss it with me in person about your concerns, questions or opinions, I would be more than happy to come to your school and meet with you because I truly feel it is that important, not to me, but to hundreds of athletes both today and in our future.

I am sure this is not exactly perfect for everyone, it is probably not exactly perfect for anyone. But no league can be truly functional if it is always beneficial for some and not for others. The better it is for everyone, the better it truly is for each school.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind consideration and time. I know you have just finished another challenging and I pray successful school year and I truly appreciate any effort and thought you are able to put forth toward its possible acceptance.

Sincerely yours,

Randy Heath, Mayor

City Of Jackson

vinton County Bank
TRI VALLEY CONFERENCE

Proposed Expansion and Re-Alignment

FAST FACTS:

Eight schools would be accepted into the conference: Crooksville, Fort Frye, Frontier, Gallipolis, Jackson, Logan, Marietta, Warren

The conference would be divided into four six-team divisions:

SOUTHEASTERN - Athens, Gallipolis, Jackson, Logan, Marietta, Warren

OHIO - Alexander, Meigs, Nelsonville-York, River Valley, Vinton County, Wellston

HOCKING - Belpre, Crooksville, Federal Hocking, Fort Frye, Frontier, Trimble

VALLEY - Eastern, Miller, South Gallia, Southern, Wahama, Waterford

Conference would be the largest in southeastern Ohio and the third largest in the state of Ohio.

It would include all of the schools in Athens (5), Gallia (3), Hocking (1), Meigs (3), Vinton (1) and Washington (6) counties plus two of the three schools in Jackson County, two of the four schools in Perry County and one school in West Virginia.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:

The re-alignment will allow all 24 schools to participate in divisions with five other schools which have proven to be very competitive with each other, have similar enrollments and travel which is very similar or less to what each school has now.

With six teams each of comparable size and competitiveness, each school will have a chance in each sport to develop a program that is capable of producing a championship team, and for example would have a 33 percent better chance of winning a title with only six teams in a division rather than nine.

The divisions are based size on student population and potential competitive balance.

As high schools athletics have changed dramatically over the years with the addition of girls sports and the added emphasis on non-revenue sports, the financial aspect has become even more of a concern and focus.

But high school sports is still very much a part of our educational process and the same philosophies we use to successful educate our children we would wish to carry over to our athletic endeavors.

I believe in education a goal would be to challenge our young people to reach their potential by challenging them to reach attainable goals.

Since there are many who view the ultimate attainable goals in athletics as championships, this structure would give each school a chance to develop a program with the sincere hopes that a championship is possible and attainable and still within the cost structure that must be adhered to, something 24 schools as one team, caring about themselves as well as the team, can accomplish.

PERTINENT FACTS

SOUTHEASTERN DIVISION

Boys * Boys Div. B/G Avg. Short./ Square

School County Pop. Avg. FB Bask. Miles Long. Miles

Athens Athens 297 327 II II/II 40 19/53 81

Gallipolis Gallia 253 327 IV II/II 59 33/74 100

Jackson Jackson 306 327 III II/II 59 33/90 181

Logan Hocking 478 327 I I/I 51 19/71 317

Marietta Washington 349 327 III II/I 60 15/90 71

Warren Washington 279 327 IV II/II 48 15/78 196

* = average would be 296 without Logan's boys population included

OHIO DIVISION

Boys * Boys Div. B/G Avg. Short./ Square

Alexander Athens 183 201 V III/III 25 19/34 174

Meigs Meigs 218 201 IV II/III 32 25/38 199

Nelson.-York Athens 148 201 VI III/III 39 22/53 76

River Valley Gallia 186 201 V III/III 36 25/53 ** 382

Vinton County Vinton 290 201 III II/II 28 10/40 416

Wellston Jackson 179 201 V III/III 31 10/48 85

* = average would be 189 without Vinton County's boys population included. ** = includes River Valley and South Gallia.

HOCKING DIVISION

Boys Boys Div. B/G Avg. Short./ Square

Belpre Washington 128 126 VI III/III 39 22/60 21

Crooksville Perry 144 126 VI III/III 47 21/77 45

Federal Hocking Athens 127 126 VI III/III 38 22/61 207

Fort Frye Washington 147 126 VI III/III 35 25/42 136

Frontier Washington 102 126 VII IV/IV 57 38/77 163

Trimble Athens 110 126 VII IV/IV 40 21/66 39

VALLEY DIVISION

* Boys Boys Div. B/G Avg. Short./ Square

Eastern Meigs 79 88 VI IV/IV 34 14/53 116

Miller Perry 89 88 VI IV/IV 57 39/82 87

South Gallia Gallia 70 88 VI IV/IV 57 32/82 ** 382

Southern Meigs 86 88 VI IV/IV 37 11/57 80

Wahama Mason 105 88 A A/A 32 11/53 n/a

Waterford Washington 98 88 VI IV/IV 53 38/82 74

* = numbers of boys from Wahama is an estimate from available data. ** = includes River Valley and South Gallia.

CHAMPIONSHIPS

All championships will be determined by division. It would take four of more schools in a division to have an official champion in a sport.

If a division has three or less teams participating in a sport, they may, if they choose, elect to compete in the next highest division (example- Alexander in soccer).

If there are sufficient number of teams, championships would be determined on the varsity, junior varsity, freshmen and junior high levels. In sports such as basketball, if sufficient numbers exist, championships would be determined on both an eighth grade and seventh grade level.

An All-Sports Champion will be named at the conclusion of each season for each division for Boys Varsity, Girls Varsity, Overall Varsity, Boys Junior High, Girls Junior High, Overall Junior High.

It would be determined by six points for first, five for second with ties splitting points, and no points if a team did not participate. The standings for the All-Sports Champion would only be determined by the record against schools within the division. For example, games by Alexander in soccer would not count in the All-Sports Champion standings for the Southeastern Division but would toward an actual division championship.

The actual sports for which it would appear there are enough teams to determine a champion on both the varsity and junior high levels in at least one division would be as follows:

BOYS FALL - Football, golf, cross country, soccer

GIRLS FALL - Volleyball, cross country, soccer, tennis, golf

BOYS WINTER - Basketball, wrestling

GIRLS WINTER - Basketball (boys and/or girls bowling could be added)

BOYS SPRING - Baseball, track, tennis

GIRLS SPRING - Softball, track

DETERMINATION OF CHAMPIONSHIPS

Here is how each championship would be determined: The football schedule would consist of a single round robin with games being played weeks six through ten.

The volleyball, soccer, basketball, baseball, softball and tennis schedules would be double round-robin, home-and-home schedules. The volleyball, soccer, baseball, softball and tennis schedules would be two games or matches every week for five weeks.

The basketball schedules would end two weeks before the tournaments to give schools not only a chance for more flexibility in make-up games, but for those in the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference (OVAC) to play in their final week of OVAC playoffs. The basketball schedule would be one game every week with two games a week when necessary to complete the schedule.

Cross country will have a season-ending meet in which all schools could run in a single race (boys varsity, girls varsity, etc.) or if enough runners warrant, have a separate race for the Southeastern/Ohio Divisions, and one of the Hocking/Valley Divisions, although scores would be totaled on an individual divisional basis.

Wrestling and track would have season ending meets for each division, in other words, there would be four separate track meets.

Golf would consist of six matches, with each school hosting one match and a champion being named from the combination of the match scores.

BENEFITS TO INCOMING SCHOOLS:

There would be significant benefits to each of the eight schools that would be annexed into the league.

CROOKSVILLE - Crooksville was a founding member of the Muskingum Valley League (MVL) in December, 1930, when it was known as the Big Five League with Crooksville, New Lexington, New Concord, Malta-McConnelsville and Glouster.

They have been a continuous member for nearly 85 years and seen the conference go through numerous changes and have at times in some sports been competitive over the years.

While Crooksville has not grown measurably over the years, the schools in Muskingum County have, a county in which five of the nine schools are located.

Crooksville is the smallest school in the league. The next smallest school is 40 percent larger than them. The largest school in the league, Tri-Valley, is more than 175 percent larger. The average boys enrollment of the other schools in the Muskingum Valley League is 271 students, almost twice the 144 at Crooksville.

For Crooksville in the Hocking Division, the average enrollment of the division's five other schools would be 131 and they would be the second largest school in the division to Fort Frye.

With all the MVL schools in three adjoining counties and eight of the nine in just two counties, the MVL has afforded Crooksville a limited amount of travel requirements with the average trip being 21 miles and their longest trip being 34 miles to John Glenn.

A downside for Crooksville in joining the Tri Valley Conference is that its average travel time and mileage would double, with their closest trip now being to Trimble (21 miles) and their longest being to Belpre (60 miles) and Frontier (77 miles).

Only Crooksville can weigh the benefits of competitiveness vs. the additional travel, although they would still be able to play most of the Muskingum Valley League schools non-league, especially in games one through three of the football season, and give them a great base for their non-league schedule.

FORT FRYE - Fort Frye was one of the founding members of the Pioneer Valley Conference (PVC) in 1975. But what was once a nine-school league is down to five, with it appearing to be difficult to recruit a new member.

All of the schools in the Pioneer Valley Conference are also members of the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference (OVAC), with the four remaining PVC schools being Caldwell, Frontier, Monroe Central and Shenadoah.

I am sure the five remaining schools would like to keep the PVC going, and Caldwell, Monroe Central and Shenandoah all have a closer proximity to the remaining schools of the OVAC making them not as dependent on a league set-up, like the PVC, as other schools might be.

For both Fort Frye and Frontier, it is important to remember they can still participate in the Hocking Division of the Tri Valley Conference and it NOT affect its membership in the Pioneer Valley Conference or the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference.

The biggest difference would be they would have to play Caldwell, Monroe Central and Shenandoah in the first five weeks of the football season.

There would be very little difference between the new Hocking Division and the current Pioneer Valley Conference with Buckeye Trail, who is leaving after next year.

Fort Frye's average trip in the Hocking Division would be 35 miles, currently the average trip in the PVC is 39 miles. Currently, the other Hocking Division schools would average four more boys per school than the PVC, but Monroe Central will certainly grow from the closing of Beallsville High School.

FRONTIER - As was the case with Fort Frye, Frontier was one of the founding members of the Pioneer Valley Conference (PVC) in 1975, which will soon be five schools.

As mentioned, all of the remaining schools in the PVC, Caldwell, Fort Frye, Monroe Central and Shenandoah, are also members of the OVAC and I am sure the five remaining schools would like to keep the PVC going, which could happen under this set-up.

For both Fort Frye and Frontier, it is important to remember they can still participate in the Hocking Division of the Tri Valley Conference and it NOT affect its membership in the Pioneer Valley Conference or the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference.

The biggest difference would be they would have to play Caldwell, Monroe Central and Shenandoah in the first five weeks of the football season.

Like with Fort Frye, there would be very little difference between the new Hocking Division and the current Pioneer Valley Conference, with Buckeye Trail leaving after next year.

Frontier's average trip in the Hocking Division would be 57 miles, currently the average trip in the PVC is 51 miles. Currently, the other Hocking Division schools would average four more boys per school than the PVC, but Monroe Central will certainly grow from the closing of Beallsville High School.

GALLIPOLIS - Gallipolis was one of the founding members of the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League (SEOAL) in March, 1925, and has several long-standing rivalries.

In 2015-16, they have dual membership in the SEOAL and Ohio Valley Conference (OVC), which has Chesapeake, Coal Grove, Fairland, Ironton, Portsmouth, Rock Hill and South Point as its other members. They are slated to leave the SEOAL and become sole members of the OVC in the 2016-17 school year.

Gallipolis, it is widely believed, choose to enter the OVC as a result of the demise of the SEOAL and felt, for the benefit of their athletics, the OVC was the best option with the demise of the SEOAL.

While Gallipolis will be the biggest schools in the Ohio Valley Conference, and in basketball the only Division II school with all other schools being Division III, they would be the smallest school in the Southeastern Division of the Tri Valley Conference.

But it would allow them to retain their long-time rivalries in a league set-up and better challenge their athletes against schools that would be slightly bigger rather than slightly smaller.

JACKSON, LOGAN, WARREN - Although Warren has joined the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference and this would not affect that, these three schools are the remaining members of the SEOAL with no other place to go.

For all three of these schools, if this does not come to fruition, they are going to be faced with schedules full of meaningless non-league games with tremendously scary amounts of travel. This is very possibly the last hope for these schools.

MARIETTA - Marietta, because of the size of their school in proximity to other schools near them, have always had to travel farther distances to play.

After being a member of the SEOAL for 25 years, there was a push within the Marietta School District to join the East Central Ohio League (ECOL).

Marietta is the southern most school in the East Central Ohio League by 40 miles. Their average trip in the Southeastern Division of the TVC would be 60 miles while their current average is 68 miles per trip.

In addition, with Claymont leaving the ECOL, expansion of the league could very well go to the north, even expanding that travel for Marietta. It would also give Marietta a natural league rival in Warren.

BENEFITS TO CURRENT SCHOOLS

Talk of divisional re-alignment, for both the bigger and smaller schools, has been discussed many times before by the TVC, but possibly never in this format.

In this format, every current school will have the true ability to judge their competitiveness against opponents they have competed with for years and can accurately determine if their team in that particular year is a championship level team or a second division squad.

Each school can honestly feel they have a chance for a title, and it will mean something because it is truly against their peers and equals. This would seem to provide that challenge to reach those attainable goals noted earlier.

IN CONCLUSION:

Having a conference of this size might seem very cumbersome to some observers, but would bring tremendous attention to the accomplishment of the athletes and also provide the flexibility for changes that are bound to occur.

By having a Southeastern Division, the history of the SEOAL can be merged into the TVC and it will keep alive the list of champions, history, etc. from the SEOAL.

Clearly, every school cannot have the perfect set-up for them and expect a league to survive and true competition to continue. It takes every school having consideration for each other while making sure the needs of each school district are equally addressed.

Although nothing is perfect, this could be the foundation for the closest thing we can find for all concerned.

SCHOOL EXPLANATIONS

ATHENS

It would be fair to say most people might very well think the opinion of Athens' officials on this restructuring could very well be a determining factor.

It is clear that Athens has had dominating success since leaving the SEOAL for the Tri Valley Conference, in many cases overwhelming opponents. I would also guess there are those looking at Athens being at a crossroads in athletic as well, graduating this year potentially the most talent-laden senior class in the school's history.

When Athens left the SEOAL, they were not enjoying some of the success they had enjoyed in the past and were concerned about the travel in the what had been the re-structured SEOAL.

But mileage would not now seem to be nearly the issue it was before.

In the old SEOAL when Athens left, the average trip for Athens to the nine schools was 54 miles with trips to Portsmouth (90 miles) and Ironton (87 miles) cited as a major concern. But now, Athens would be in the center of the Southeast Division, with the shortest average mileage of any of the six schools at 40 miles per trip.

The average mileage in the TVC now is 28 miles per trip, just 12 miles less.

Athens would be right in the middle enrollment wise of the Southeast Division. Currently in the TVC, Athens currently has an enrollment that is almost 50 percent larger than the average enrollment of the remainder of the schools, 297 for Athens boys enrollment compared to 201 average for remaining schools.

Since the goal in education for many is to challenge their students, whether in the classroom or on the athletic field, to develop their skills to the highest level, would the students of Athens be motivated to meet their challenges, and feel more rewarded in winning championships, in the restructured TVC or the current set-up?

Clearly, the athletic teams of Athens High School would have done very, very well over the past few years whether in the SEOAL or the TVC. But wouldn't it have been interesting this fall during the regular season if Athens would have been facing Jackson for an SEOAL title and allowed that phenomenal Bulldog football team to feel an even greater sense of accomplishment and a title that could have had even more meaning?

GALLIPOLIS

Gallipolis, Jackson and Logan are three of the more fortunate schools in the state, historically speaking. They are the only three schools outside of schools in Akron, Cleveland or Columbus that have enjoyed 90 consecutive years in the same athletic league.

But times change, from the time between 1937 and 1967 when the SEOAL membership never had a single membership change to today.

The rivalries between schools like Jackson and Gallipolis will never be replaced and will not come close to having the same meaning if all the games are non-league affairs.

As heart-breaking as it was, the stability of the Gallia Academy program as far as its league affiliation would have seemed to have been a determining factor in leaving the SEOAL for the Ohio Valley Conference.

And while Gallipolis could enjoy greater success in the Ohio Valley Conference, being in basketball, for example, the only Division II school among all other Division III schools, it has always been evident the pride Gallia Academy took in being an SEOAL champion.

While this would mean a reversal in direction, I would have to believe many people in the Gallipolis area would like to see Gallia Academy be able to retain the rivalries with such schools as Jackson in a league setting.

JACKSON

I think everyone would agree if Jackson had to go independent, it would be devastating to the Jackson program, in having trouble in filling the schedules, having to make long, long trips for non-league games, no championships to play for and no all-league honors for its deserving athletes.

This certainly would greatly benefit the Jackson athletic program.

LOGAN

I would think everyone would agree if Logan had to go independent, it would place the Logan athletic program in a difficult position, having trouble in filling its schedules, having to make long, long trips for non-league games, no championships to play for and no all-league honors for its deserving athletes.

This certainly would greatly benefit the Logan athletic program.

MARIETTA

Marietta has primarily known two leagues in its existence, the former Central Ohio League and the SEOAL before joining the East Central Ohio League.

As is explained in the body of the presentation, Marietta, because of the size of its school in proximity to other schools near them, have always had to travel farther distances to play.

After being a member of the SEOAL for 25 years, there was a push within the Marietta School District to join the East Central Ohio League (ECOL).

Marietta is the southern most school in the East Central Ohio League by 40 miles. Their average trip in the Southeastern Division of the TVC would be 60 miles while their current average is 68 miles per trip.

In addition, with Claymont leaving the ECOL, expansion of the league could very well go to the north, even expanding that travel for Marietta. The restructured TVC would also give Marietta a natural league rival in Warren.

Thus, it would seem that this would be a proposal that Marietta could look upon favorably.

WARREN

Although Warren has joined the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference (OVAC), this would not affect that, although being in the OVAC will not help in scheduling or gaining all-league honors as much as it would help Warren being a part of this restructured TVC.

Warren has a great rivalry with Athens, Gallipolis, Jackson, Logan and Marietta and I am sure they would like to play Marietta in a league set-up again rather than as a non-league contest, which certainly loses some of the luster.

T-V-C HOCKING TEAMS

This basically re-configures the Hocking Division to where it was prior to Athens joining the division, with River Valley replacing Belpre. This was a very competitive division among all the schools prior to the admission of Athens, and would seem to be ideal for these schools.

BELPRE

If this restructuring was to be approved, it would allow Belpre to gain two in-county divisional rivals in Fort Frye and Frontier in place of Waterford, and although the trip to Crooksville would be its farthest at 60 miles, that is still about 8 miles closer than the trip to South Gallia.

CROOKSVILLE

As is explained in the body of the presentation, Crooksville is the smallest school in the Muskingum Valley League. The next smallest school is 40 percent larger than them. The largest school in the league, Tri-Valley, is more than 175 percent larger. The average boys enrollment of the other schools in the Muskingum Valley League is 271 students, almost twice the 144 at Crooksville.

For Crooksville in the Hocking Division, the average enrollment of the division's five other schools would be 131 and they would be the second largest school in the division to Fort Frye.

With all the MVL schools in three adjoining counties and eight of the nine in just two counties, the MVL has afforded Crooksville a limited amount of travel requirements with the average trip being 21 miles and their longest trip being 34 miles to John Glenn.

A downside for Crooksville in joining the Tri Valley Conference is that its average travel time and mileage would double, with their closest trip being to Trimble (21 miles) and their longest being to Belpre (60 miles) and Frontier (77 miles).

Only Crooksville can weigh the benefits of competitiveness vs. the additional travel, although they would still be able to play most of the Muskingum Valley League schools non-league, especially in games one through three of the football season, giving them a great base for their non-league schedule.

FEDERAL HOCKING

If this was to be approved, Federal Hocking will have the second smallest travel within the division at 38 miles per trip and would be right in the middle as far as enrollment, with no school having more than 20 additional boys than Federal Hocking.

Currently, the average miles per trip for Federal Hocking in the TVC-Hocking is just over 31 miles per trip. Of course, Federal Hocking should be able to easily fill its non-league schedule with schools such as Eastern, Southern and Waterford.

This would certainly have the possibility of being somewhat more competitive from top to bottom than the current TVC Ohio, but it should also be a meaningful accomplishment for any of these schools to win a division that would include Belpre, Crooksville, Federal Hocking, Fort Frye, Frontier and Trimble.

FORT FRYE

As is explained in the body of the presentation, the reason why Fort Frye could, in part, be interested in being a part of the Tri Valley Conference is as a result of the Pioneer Valley Conference being reduced to five schools with the departure of Buckeye Trail.

But what is imperative to remember is that if Fort Frye would decide to become a part of the restructured Tri Valley Conference, it would not have to affect its participation in either the Pioneer Valley Conference or the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference.

I am sure the five remaining schools would like to keep the PVC going, and Caldwell, Monroe Central and Shenandoah all have a closer proximity to the remaining schools of the OVAC making them not as dependent on a league set-up, like the PVC, as other schools might be.

The biggest difference would be Fort Frye would have to play Caldwell, Monroe Central and Shenandoah in the first five weeks of the football season.

There would be very little difference between the new Hocking Division and the current Pioneer Valley Conference with Buckeye Trail, who is leaving after next year.

Fort Frye's average trip in the Hocking Division would be 35 miles, currently the average trip in the PVC is 39 miles. Currently, the other Hocking Division schools would average four more boys per school than the PVC, but Monroe Central could certainly grow from the announced closing of Beallsville High School.

Also, If you also look at the end of the email, I have included an attachment with some information I have gathered on the history of the Pioneer Valley Conference.

I do research on all the athletic leagues involving schools in the Southeast District, and while researching the Tri Valley Conference, I went ahead and compiled information at the same time on the Pioneer Valley Conference.

I hope you find the information informative and useful, and if you can't open the attachment, let me know and I will mail it to you.

FRONTIER

As is explained in the body of the presentation, the reason why Frontier could, in part, be interested in being a part of the Tri Valley Conference is as a result of the Pioneer Valley Conference being reduced to five schools with the departure of Buckeye Trail.

But what is imperative to remember is that if Frontier would decide to become a part of the restructured Tri Valley Conference, it would not have to affect its participation in either the Pioneer Valley Conference or the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference.

The biggest difference would be Frontier would have to play Caldwell, Monroe Central and Shenandoah in the first five weeks of the football season.

There would be very little difference between the new Hocking Division and the current Pioneer Valley Conference.

Frontier's average trip in the Hocking Division would be 57 miles, currently the average trip in the PVC is 51 miles. Currently, the other Hocking Division schools would average four more boys per school than the PVC, but Monroe Central could certainly grow from the closing of Beallsville High School.

Also, If you also look at the end of the email, I have included an attachment with some information I have gathered on the history of the Pioneer Valley Conference.

I do research on all the athletic leagues involving schools in the Southeast District, and while researching the Tri Valley Conference, I went ahead and compiled information at the same time on the Pioneer Valley Conference.

I hope you find the information informative and useful, and if you can't open the attachment, let me know and I will mail it to you.

TRIMBLE

Because of the recent success of the Trimble athletic program, this would allow it to strengthen its schedule, especially in football.

The average mileage would be the same, 40 miles, for both the current Ohio Division and the new Ohio Division, and Trimble would be able to re-establish athletic relations with Crooksville, which would be a natural rival.

TVC VALLEY DIVISION TEAMS

The biggest advantages are that it allows the six smallest schools in the TVC to be in the same division together (although Wahama and Frontier are of similar size), and will reduce some travel by not having to travel to Belpre, Federal Hocking and Trimble.

I think this idea has some merit.

gametime
SE

Re: I have an Idea!!!!!!!

Post by gametime »

Wow that's the longest post ever, and I think it would work!!!!

You can't handle the truth
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

as good as it sounds. the powers that be will not let it happen.

AT THE RESERVATION
Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

You know Jackson just joined a very nice conference and they were glad to bring Jackson in. I think they are fine where they are now!

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Good Gosh, Doesn't a Mayor have more important things to do? LOL

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Jackson's new league, the Frontier Athletic Conference, is a good fit for them and the travel is not too much. There was a lot of negotiating among the schools in the FAC to get this new league going, and Jackson apparently was one of the main advocates for the FAC, given that the SEOAL had finally met its demise. I do not think it would be wise for JHS to jump ship on the FAC that quickly, and besides, it would then leave that league searching for another school, of which there aren't any immediate candidates ready to abandon their current situation. Chillicothe, MIami Trace, Washington CH, Greenfield McClain, and Hillsboro all agreed to disband the SCOL to form the FAC. Jackson High School was part of this agreement with these other 5 schools.

I understand that keeping rivalries is an important aspect of HS athletics, but Jackson and Gallia Academy had to do what was best for them and their athletic programs. Unfortunately some schools are left in a difficult situation (Logan being the most notable), but in the end you just can't accommodate everybody. My school, Portsmouth, left the SEOAL for the OVC because our administration felt it was a better fit for the size of school that we currently are, and greatly lessened travel concerns. It has worked out well in both aspects.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

As the preeminent sportswriter I assume you recognize that you are in a new league this year?

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

Great idea but it will never happen because Athens does NOT want any competition! They are by far the largest school in the TVC and they like being the big kid on the block because they can win most of the time. Also, Miller was behind not letting them in the last time along with Athens. Miler does not bring a crowd for any sport (small gate) and no one wants to travel to Perry County in the league!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Let it go man.........

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Carl Spackler wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:24 pm Great idea but it will never happen because Athens does NOT want any competition! They are by far the largest school in the TVC and they like being the big kid on the block because they can win most of the time. Also, Miller was behind not letting them in the last time along with Athens. Miler does not bring a crowd for any sport (small gate) and no one wants to travel to Perry County in the league!
It amazes me that two schools, Athens and Miller, can sway most of the TVC administrators on this. As you all are aware NY pushed for this to happen numerous times. We've even tried to get Jackson on the schedule but they don't seem to be interested. But at least the Athens few years of winning the TVC are over with now and it's back to the middle of the pack for them. NY has regained their dominance. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

...or Jackson could just raise parking prices to $30 a vehicle and all of the revenue problems would be solved there.

:mrgreen:

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

Looks like what you want is everything for Jackson, and to hell with all the other teams you are throwing under the bus.

Maybe spend that much time on making the apple festival what it once was?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Why is this on here?

This was written up over a year ago.

Copy and pasted. 0% chance Mayor Heath just recently posted this on here.

Return to “Football”