Article:Lancaster Fisher Catholic 27 Worthington Christian 0

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Article:Lancaster Fisher Catholic 27 Worthington Christian 0

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

USING ROSTER FROM MAXPREPS.COM

Earlier tonight I ventured to Lancaster to watch Worthington Christian, for the first time ever battle the suddenly hot Lancaster Fisher Irish.
Fisher came in on a four game winning streak, while the Warriors limped in with a 2-4 record.
After leaving this one I again found myself saying that Hayden Muckensturm 5-7 / 160 is a high school football stud.

Fisher would flex its muscles on the games first drive as they slowly moved the ball 65 yards on seven plays to light the scoreboard up.The score came in the shape of a 24 yard gut run by Davonte Herron 6-3 / 225. Reed Tucker 6-0 / 160 would block the point after attempt, kicked by Travis bales to keep the score,6-0.

The Warriors were facing a third and four and in desperate need of a first down and thanks to Alex Tucker 6-1 / 170 hitting Justin Eisel 6-2 / 160 they got the first down. The pass play picked up thirteen yards and brought a cheer from the I am guessing 55 fans that the Warriors had in their stands.
With 5:38 left in the first quarter Davonte Herron stuffed Emerson Patrick 5-7 / 155 for a two yard loss. Herron, at times looked like a man playing with boys, but at other times he looked like a player not interested in what was going on. The Warriors would be forced to punt a short time later.

The Warriors defense got a nice play from #67, who got Herron for a three yard loss, with 5:38 remaining in the opening quarter. The Irish got a nice run just twenty nine seconds later when, Muckensturm went right for a seventeen yard gain. This kid is worth the price of admission, he is that good.Jared Faulkner would break to his right and pick up 22 yards on another nice run, with 5.00 left. The drive came to a sudden in when,Justin Eisel 6-2 / 160 picked off a Faulkner pass with 3:12 left in the quarter.

The Irish defense made fast work of the Warriors defense and got the ball back to the offense, who looked ready to atone for the last mistake.

Herron would be stopped for a four yard loss when he was brought down by Joseph Greenwood 6-0 / 185 with 10:05 left in the first half. Herron had no where to go on this play, but he did fight and made it tough for the defense to get to him. The Warriors defense used three players, who all hit Faulkner at the same time to pick up a sack and force a Fisher Catholic punt with 8:07 left in the half.

Muckensturm, who is as good as any two way player in the area stopped Emerson Patrick 5-7 / 155, for a one yard loss a the 7:27 mark of the quarter. With seven minutes left in the half and the Warriors again in desperate need of a first down got one when, Patrick picked up thirteen yards on a really nice run.
Allen Mccall 6-2 / 180, who had a very sound game on both sides of the ball came up big with 5:44 showing on the clock when he sacked Tucker for a thirteen yard loss.

At the 4:15 mark of the quarter it was the Warriors defense time to stand tall and that they did when, Joseph Greenwood sacked Faulkner for a four yard loss. Faulkner would make up for being sack with a thirty yard scramble at the 3:32 mark of the quarter. Faulkner looks so much better than he did back in week one, when Paint Valley put a beat down on the Irish. He also looks better than when I watched him and the team beat Millersport. The Irish would close out the drive with, a twenty five yard pass from Faulkner to Parker Brady 6-3 / 175, with 2:03 left in the half. A two point try failed as a pass fell incomplete, keeping the score, 12-0 Irish.

Emerson Patrick 5-7 / 155 picked up forty one yards with 1:41left in the half, on a very nice run where he used some shifty moves and a lot of blocking to weave his way down field. The Irish defense ended any hopes of a Warrior score when, Brady picked off a pass with :32 left in the half.

Jut twenty three seconds into the third quarter, Jacob Burley 6-5 / 275 stopped Patrick for a short loss. A punt would soon follow as the Fisher defense remained poised to post the shutout.

The third quarter had gone by rather quickly and with 5:05 left in it, Mccall would get Patrick for a two yard loss. McCall, has gotten better each time I have watched him and tonight it looked like the young man was on a mission to contribute in a huge way for his team.

The Irish defense got a big play of its own when, Muckensturm and Faulkner teamed up to get Garrett Woodfin for a five yard loss, after Woodfin caught a swing pass, with 4:10 left.

The Irish offense got to work with a fourteen yard gain by McCall, with 1:59 left in the quarter on a nice counter play. Fisher Catholic would use a six yard McCall touchdown run to get six more and then after the point after kick, the Irish was up,18-0 with 1:37 left in the quarter.

The Warriors used a screen pass to Reed Tucker 6-0 / 160 to pick up forty seven yards at the 1:26 mark of the quarter. The drive ended with a pick by Logan Loy 5-6 / 120 with 1:16 left on the clock.

The last score of the game came when, Muckensturm scored on a six yard run, when his team was facing a fourth and two. A bad snap on the point after try led to Faulkner running in for two points to make the final score,27-0 Fisher Catholic.

UNOFFICIAL STATS
WORTHINGTON CHRISTIAN
37 PLAYS
102 YARDS
PASSING 8-21 2 INT'S

FISHER CATHOLIC
66 PLAYS
381 YARDS
PASSING 1-3 1 TD

PICS WORKING

anderson2012
JV Team

Re: Article:Lancaster Fisher Catholic 27 Worthington Christi

Post by anderson2012 »

Great write-up, NCF!

Was told that Fisher had 17 runs of 10 yards or more tonight. Very methodical Wing-T offense that was installed in August with the late coaching change where the pieces are coming together week by week. I believe we had 23 or 24 first downs, according to a cross-reference between the Eagle-Gazette and the Columbus Dispatch. Worthington Christian came in with a spread pass oriented offense that has some slivers of promise.

With this being win #5, this will be Fisher's first season at (or above) .500 since 2007. Fisher's defense has been playing some solid, fundamental football. Our d-line is doing well.

Regarding Herron, excellent athlete and a good player. He's had a lot going on the past few years, he's working hard and trying his best no matter what. Last week he had a pretty fair game running the ball and on defense, first game he's played in a long time. I think with Worthington Christian keying up some blitzes and decent anticipation, him getting eaten up after the release had to have been frustrating for him. One would speculate he would actually do much better in a system that has him spread out in open space, but he definitely has a role in our offense and especially our defense. I think and hope its just a game of jitters and frustration that naturally can come. He took a visit to Marshall Friday, so it could be him feeling pressure to always be a superstar when its his time to shine. Barring anything unexpected or catastrophic, I'm putting money on him playing in Division 1 next year (and this is based on what I've heard, not just an unrealistic expectation).

I am hoping they beat FCA to put them at 6-2. If they beat FCA (always a tough game!), then the last two weeks can be memories or heartbreaks. Weeks 1 and 2 don't do much justice to show what this team is capable of if given "a chance" at current. With that said, no better opportunity than against Harvest Prep in week 9. Whitehall in week 10 will be a game too. Pasteur has low confidence in Fisher, but I think a large part of that is the math involved in his system which can't take into account qualitative variables such as Herron's transfer, the blossoming of a newly installed offense, or even game-specific factors such as weather or field conditions. No better group of seniors that have gone through more than their fair share of rough times could lead this team to where they're at currently. Playoffs or not, this team has been something special up to this point this year and has given many of us something to get behind and truly support.

P.S. - Good on you for the plugs on #33. From what I understand, with him being a senior, this is his last year of football. According to some people who'd know it better, he had the decision to pursue college ball or not (he would've landed somewhere, his academics are solid) and I think he's just going to attend four-year school as a non-athlete with the intention of pre-med.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

formerfcfan wrote:Great write-up, NCF!.
Thanks. Means a lot coming from you.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:
formerfcfan wrote:Great write-up, NCF!.
Thanks. Means a lot coming from you.
I appreciate, sir. Fisher has one more Saturday night game, senior night against Whitehall. Have NO idea how that will go! Whitehall can be overpowering, but not necessarily overwhelming! Hope your health is well. I read the article in the local paper and I liked your write-up better because of the voice you put to it and some of the commentary too. I recognize the jobs of hs sports writers can be tough, but its good to hear some voice and no-spin in a game report. This isn't necessarily a slant against our paper, but I'm a guy that likes to hear someone call it like it is.

Return to “Football”