NCAA bans 2-a-days. Does OHSAA follow suit?

madpolecat
All State

NCAA bans 2-a-days. Does OHSAA follow suit?

Post by madpolecat »

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -practices

Is the era of the two-a-day practice finally going to end for high school, too?

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Re: NCAA bans 2-a-days. Does OHSAA follow suit?

Post by AllAboutTheU »

I think it would be hard for high school teams not to have 2-a-days unless they can somehow add spring practices or practice longer in the summer. Practice goes by quick enough as it is so taking away 2-a-days would hurt high school teams. College teams have the means to provide to their athletes on the football team such as transporting playbook onto iphone/ipad, film study, positional meeting, etc...Some high school teams may do this as well but I doubt smaller schools have the means to do this.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

I don't think the OHSAA or any state association's will have a say. I think the national federation will make it a national rule banning 2 a days for the 2018 season. I think they will be allowed 1 walk through with no pads or helmets, and 1 padded practice each practice day. I also see the federation cutting back more on contact during the season too.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

This is why Ohio will adopt spring practice soon!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Well, NCAA also just allowed an extra week of practice as well. As for two-a-days, the NCAA has for 15+ years prohibited two a day in back to back days, something high schools have not followed suit on.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

two a days are already sort of waste now unless you have a new coaching staff. You can only have one full contact practice a day anyway. Plus there being a rule now. That any day except during the no contact period you can instruct up to 7 individuals at a time. You can do a lot of stuff all summer long if you would like. Also a kid only can have 60 minutes of full contact practice a week anyway after season begins. how much more could you possibly cut that.

I also think teams may get way more creative with their 10 days of summer. Your playbook can easily be put in over these days and much more. a lot of teams get in 4 or 5 really long days over the 10 days. all teams used to use a few days on 2 a days and lineman challenges. then the other days they would use like the week before practice can start. I think a lot of teams will begin to use 3 or 4 days right after summer starts to get playbooks out install offense and defense and not worry so much about practice that last week. Plus you have all those kids there from conditioning every day you should be keeping 7 every day to do a little more work on there positions or whatever. and i am not sure but according to rule you may be able to do 7 early and 7 late. just cant be at same time i believe

My biggest thing is tackling is bad enough already and one of the reasons why. is maybe kids get 7 good days of full contact practice a year. And that is about it. maybe you get a little more in big programs but not a lot.

Also i think every school in the country or almost are on huddle. There is very little film work done anymore as a entire team. That and the fact you can put a whole game through in about 15 minutes. it is much easier. then coaches can make just defense or offense or just certain sets to watch.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Seems like most teams have moved to a 4-5 hour combined session. Do they limit number of hours per day? Just another thing OHSAA can't police. Moving to spring practice will really hurt some baseball programs. But I'm sure the brain trust will come up with another great idea like they did with competive balance.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Spring is for spring sports kids are spending way to much time on one sport.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

There is a big difference in the conditioning of a college athlete and a high school kid. The same reason colleges have little to no contact in football practice....they already have good blocking and tackling fundamentals. High schoolers dont and need contact.

These college athletes are training for one sport YEAR ROUND. Most of these high school kids lift weights inconsistently, arent in the greatest shape when summer football practice starts, etc. They arent outside all summer doing things to stay in shape like we were back in the day.

Less conditioning equals more injuries. Its a fact.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

the one thing I wanna say is. I understand that some may be worried about weather. and I don't want to say this at the expense of any child who suffered a heat stroke or anything.

but kids are never outside anymore. we went daylight to dark outside, nearly never stopping for a drink or meal. even after 2 a days, we were swimming climbing, riding bikes, skating, cutting grass, playing floodwall football in ironton. fishing, a million other exhausting things to keep you outside. mamma bait used to say to me. bait, ''get outta the house and I don't wanna see ya till the street lights come on''. if I'm lyin I'm dyin.

so with that in mind, and only because of this I say we are turning into lilly livered pansies.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Bleeding Red wrote:There is a big difference in the conditioning of a college athlete and a high school kid. The same reason colleges have little to no contact in football practice....they already have good blocking and tackling fundamentals. High schoolers dont and need contact.

These college athletes are training for one sport YEAR ROUND. Most of these high school kids lift weights inconsistently, arent in the greatest shape when summer football practice starts, etc. They arent outside all summer doing things to stay in shape like we were back in the day.

Less conditioning equals more injuries. Its a fact.
I agree, there is night and day difference between the college and H.S. Athlete.
What may be good for college will HURT H.S. Kids development.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:the one thing I wanna say is. I understand that some may be worried about weather. and I don't want to say this at the expense of any child who suffered a heat stroke or anything.

but kids are never outside anymore. we went daylight to dark outside, nearly never stopping for a drink or meal. even after 2 a days, we were swimming climbing, riding bikes, skating, cutting grass, playing floodwall football in ironton. fishing, a million other exhausting things to keep you outside. mamma bait used to say to me. bait, ''get outta the house and I don't wanna see ya till the street lights come on''. if I'm lyin I'm dyin.

so with that in mind, and only because of this I say we are turning into lilly livered pansies.
And we also walked to school barefoot in the snow uphill, 5 miles both ways while fighting off hungry Bears and all we had to eat was old shoe leather.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:the one thing I wanna say is. I understand that some may be worried about weather. and I don't want to say this at the expense of any child who suffered a heat stroke or anything.

Bait, I agree A kid can stand the heat IF they are properly HYDRAED! and properly Coached/Supervised. As for the kids of today they are mostly snowflakes and I blamed the parents! Our kids as young teenagers was helping the old man build fences, bale hay and all kind of outside activities then they went to football conditioning 3-4 times per week in the early evenings. The results many championships! and a few young men got a free ride to Collage! I will write OHSAA a letter to support one - two weeks of late spring football practice! :mrgreen:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I love it.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

Very good article

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

Didn't OHSAA voted ( maybe just talked) on this last year because lots of school starts earlier

lancer1
Waterboy

Post by lancer1 »

Federal Hocking school board did this years ago. Just goes to show how much better we are than the rest of ya'll

route7
Freshman Team

Post by route7 »

lancer1 wrote:Federal Hocking school board did this years ago. Just goes to show how much better we are than the rest of ya'll
No they didn't. shut up :roll:

Return to “Football”