Athens (3-0) vs Jackson (2-1)

Post by 93Bulldog »

Big game for Division III, Region 9

thoughts?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens (3-0) vs Jackson (2-1)

Post by 93Bulldog »

To my old pal Ironman02 ... Jared Humphreys ain't walking through that door, just so you know ...

:)

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

93Bulldog wrote:To my old pal Ironman02 ... Jared Humphreys ain't walking through that door, just so you know ...

LOL.

I'm awfully sensitive after tonight's game, and this is what you have for me? Some friend you are! :lol:

I was upset to hear that this game won't be happening next year since River Valley will be added to the TVC. I'm sure Athens feels the same way.

As for this year, hopefully the Ironmen can rebound from the loss to West Jeff and play well against an outstanding Athens team.

TShep17
JV Team

Post by TShep17 »

Jackson will hang for around for a while but Athens just too much

Athens-48

Jackson-21

Good luck to both teams and stay healthy

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

Athens by about 28

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

ironman02 wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:To my old pal Ironman02 ... Jared Humphreys ain't walking through that door, just so you know ...

LOL.

I'm awfully sensitive after tonight's game, and this is what you have for me? Some friend you are! :lol:

I was upset to hear that this game won't be happening next year since River Valley will be added to the TVC. I'm sure Athens feels the same way.

As for this year, hopefully the Ironmen can rebound from the loss to West Jeff and play well against an outstanding Athens team.
I know the Athens fans are upset about dropping Jackson so River Valley can come to the TVC

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Get Watkins off the schedule and upgrade that week, if the contract allows for Athens.

Athens goes 10-0 this season. Bulldogs 42-14.

Very tough stretch for Jackson. Can't get too low facing two outstanding teams in West Jeff and Athens.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Extremely difficult match-up for Jackson defensively, if we can make some adjustments and figure something out for teams that spread you out like Athens and West Jefferson last night then we can be competitive.

But will need to get some defensive stops or turnovers and then execute flawlessly on the offensive side of the ball.

Good luck Jackson, keep working hard and believe.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I actually expect Jackson to play a better game against Athens then they did West Jeff, now they have seen a similar offense in person and know where they can improve this week. Jackson has a great coaching staff and surely will make adjustments and have a better scheme for this week. I look for this game to be close all the way through with Athens adding a extra score late in like a 35-20 type of game.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

In order for Jackson to win they MUST control the clock, and they HAVE TO HIT BURROW IN THE BACKFIELD.

Athens-52
Jackson-20

I look for a 28-20 or 21-14 Halftime score.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

bman wrote:Get Watkins off the schedule and upgrade that week, if the contract allows for Athens.

Athens goes 10-0 this season. Bulldogs 42-14.

Very tough stretch for Jackson. Can't get too low facing two outstanding teams in West Jeff and Athens.
Watkins is off the schedule now and rumor has it that Zanesville will now fill the week 2 slot next season. I would like to see them drop Fairland after next year and put Jackson back on if the two schools can find a common open date. I think you can add Wheelersburg to the list of pretty good teams that Jackson will face in this 3 game stretch.

WJfan4life
Freshman Team

Post by WJfan4life »

good luck to Jackson in this one, you are a good team, just go out and show them.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

You guys are getting pretty bold with these predictions. Jackson held Athens to a season low 21 points last year and always brings a toughness and determination with them. I wouldn't let the West Jeff score fool you to much, they will very much be in this game in my opinion.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

River Valley replaced Fairland ... week 5 is now a league game.
Zanesville will replace Jackson in week 4 ... but not set in stone; that came from coach White on the sportsfan last week.
week 2 is still up in the air I believe.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

That 2003 game at Jackson was the best football game I have ever seen! Humphreys and crew faced off against Gregory, Hewitt and Sebring as the two teams went at it all night long in an epic battle won by Jackson 39-36 on a late FG. As a Bulldog fan its hard for me to say that a loss was the best game I've ever seen but I can't remember one any better than that one!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:You guys are getting pretty bold with these predictions. Jackson held Athens to a season low 21 points last year and always brings a toughness and determination with them. I wouldn't let the West Jeff score fool you to much, they will very much be in this game in my opinion.
WJ 14-7 into the 2nd quarter, and then they converted 2 as I recall 4 and goals late in the second quarter, the last with 12 seconds or so left in the half to make it 28-7.

Field position battle was not our friend in the first half as we couldn't move the ball and punted giving WJ a short field <50 for two or three possessions.

Second half we were pretty much out of our game plan trying to make up some ground to get back in the contest and a couple pick sixes to put the score where it ended up.

Look forward to getting back to Friday nights, something about Saturdays and HS football just "ain't" right lol.

I would like to see Jackson treat this as a play-off type game and upset the #1 seed in DIII Region 9, and get ourselves back into the hunt for one of the top 8 spots in that region. On paper it will be tough, but like they say, that is why they play the game. Good luck Jackson, we will be there rooting you on in The Plains.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:

That 2003 game at Jackson was the best football game I have ever seen! Humphreys and crew faced off against Gregory, Hewitt and Sebring as the two teams went at it all night long in an epic battle won by Jackson 39-36 on a late FG. As a Bulldog fan its hard for me to say that a loss was the best game I've ever seen but I can't remember one any better than that one!
Athens vs Shawnee trumps the 2003 game I'm afraid.

and you were only in the 7th grade A-Town - but the 1990 game was right on par with the 2003.

:mrgreen:

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

93Bulldog wrote:River Valley replaced Fairland ... week 5 is now a league game.
Zanesville will replace Jackson in week 4 ... but not set in stone; that came from coach White on the sportsfan last week.
week 2 is still up in the air I believe.
I heard they were adding Zanesville, but I didn't realize it was Week 4. I assume that was the only Week they could get a game with Zanesville, but I'm disappointed they decided to take that game over Jackson. Maybe something could be worked out for Week 2, but I don't know the terms of our contract with Waverly.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I particularly enjoyed the 2003 game in Jackson. Definitely one of the best high school games I have seen. Poor 93bulldog was just devestated that night.

And 93, don't even get me started on that epic hose job in 1990. lol

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

doubleplay643 wrote:
A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:You guys are getting pretty bold with these predictions. Jackson held Athens to a season low 21 points last year and always brings a toughness and determination with them. I wouldn't let the West Jeff score fool you to much, they will very much be in this game in my opinion.
WJ 14-7 into the 2nd quarter, and then they converted 2 as I recall 4 and goals late in the second quarter, the last with 12 seconds or so left in the half to make it 28-7.

Field position battle was not our friend in the first half as we couldn't move the ball and punted giving WJ a short field <50 for two or three possessions.

Second half we were pretty much out of our game plan trying to make up some ground to get back in the contest and a couple pick sixes to put the score where it ended up.

Look forward to getting back to Friday nights, something about Saturdays and HS football just "ain't" right lol.

I would like to see Jackson treat this as a play-off type game and upset the #1 seed in DIII Region 9, and get ourselves back into the hunt for one of the top 8 spots in that region. On paper it will be tough, but like they say, that is why they play the game. Good luck Jackson, we will be there rooting you on in The Plains.
That was a good post. Jackson definitely was on the wrong end of the field position battle in the first half. Despite that, they were still in the game until the last few minutes of the 2ndQ when they let things get away from them. Forced to throw the ball more in the second half, and really forcing the issue, they made some mistakes that turned the game into a complete blowout. West Jeff is, by far, the better team, but I do think Jackson is better than they showed last night. I saw Athens Week 1 and think the Bulldogs and Roughriders are pretty comparable overall, so Jackson definitely has a tough task next Friday night.

Return to “Football”